U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM

7,752 posts, read 14,370,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not really. Unless one knows that person personally, why waste time getting sad about it? Of course, a parent could use that death as a way of deterring their own children from doing anything that stupid.

There are 7 billion people on this planet and...

Per minute: 267 born, 108 die, (net population increase: 159)
Per day: 384 thousand born, 156 thousand die, (net increase 229 thousand)
Per year: 140.4 million born, 56.7 million die, (net increase 83.6 million)
[LEFT]
Read more: How many people are born and how many people die every minute

So how sad does anyone need to get over the death of this girl or every stranger? Death is inevitable. Some die young, some die old. At least her death was quick and no because of some lingering painful medical condition. And you're going to get sad over the death of this one particular teen, why not be sad all of the time over the other 126,000 humans that die every day?
[/LEFT]
Why waste time commenting on it? Especially with strangers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM

3,067 posts, read 5,298,344 times
I once met an old man who mentioned that is grandson overdosed and died. After quickly apologizing for his loss he said "Sorry for what? If your too stupid to live, you should die". At first it sounded quite harsh but as the years have passed I started to realize he is quite right. I have done some dumb things in my day that could have gotten me killed. I look back at those times and think to myself that if I HAD died that day. I would take comfort in knowing that I brought that upon myself. I would hope nobody felt "sorry" for me. Its those who are not suspecting anything that I feel sorry for, for example the people who are murdered for petty crimes daily. We all do stupid things, unfortunately sometimes somebody gets unlucky and pays the price in full. I just thank god I never had to suffer the consequence.

I once fell off a 15 foot fence and landed straight on my back. If it were my head, I may not have survived. It would have been my own fault for being up there. This girl took those drugs on her own accord. Ever since I was in 5th grade I have been told not to do drugs and I have been made aware of the consequences. She knew what could happen. 15 is not an excuse to be stupid.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 AM
miu

17,098 posts, read 34,519,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Why waste time commenting on it? Especially with strangers?
Because I think that people like YOU should stop wasting time on sympathy for stupid people like this and instead focus on quality time with family and close friends and raising your children well. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so cherish what life you have.

The cycles of life and death are eternal and can't be changed. It's unproductive just feel sad about another's past mistakes, instead just use her example to keep who you know off of drugs like ecstasy..

Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 AM

8,018 posts, read 6,563,128 times
Quote:
Because I think that people like YOU should stop wasting time on sympathy for stupid people like this and instead focus on quality time with family and close friends and raising your children well. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow, so cherish what life you have.

The cycles of life and death are eternal and can't be changed. It's unproductive just feel sad about another's past mistakes, instead just use her example to keep who you know off of drugs like ecstasy..
Again no one has any place to tell someone rather they should or shouldn't feel sympathy for anyone.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,173,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Ever since I was in 5th grade I have been told not to do drugs and I have been made aware of the consequences.
You've been LIED to, for the most part, about how dangerous drugs are.

Marijuana is not dangerous. Not a single death has ever been recorded caused by it. Ever.

The government use to say (for all I know, they still do) that using crack just ONCE would cause a hopeless addiction. Not true, an out and out lie.

Other drugs can be dangerous, but most of the time that's more related to dosage than just using. Every substance, even plain old water, is deadly if too much is consumed. Some substances, say arsenic, are lethal at very low doses (the dosage required is known as "LD50", and is the amount of a substance, measured against body mass, that will kill 50% of people who take exactly that dose.)

Arsenic has a very low LD50. Water has a very high LD50, but people have died from overdoses from water. Most recreational drugs have LD50's that allow them to be used, safely, for recreational purposes. However, because they are illegal and manufactured by persons and organizations that have little or no quality control, and generally don't really care, there is no way to be sure.

If you are a regular heroin user, and your dose of choice is 5mg (note: I'm making numbers up, I have no idea what a "regular" or "LD50" dose is), and you get a batch that is 10x more potent than usual (which happens all the time), and you try to take your 5mg, you're gonna get 50mg. If that's above the LD50, you're in deep doo-doo.

I'll stop ranting, the point is, legalized drugs would DECREASE the amount of people who die from drugs. Anyone who claims otherwise is brainwashed or just daft.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM

47,576 posts, read 60,463,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh poor them...give me a break, most people have it tough in one way or another. And they don't have to resort to drugs. Most people who get into drugs do not go into it because they're depressed or whatever (I'm not talking alcohol here) it's because they're hedonists and want a high. Maybe the deeper reason is become life doesn't offer them enough thrills, but it's up to them to make smart decisions about what goes into their body, not just put anything into their mouths like children and hope for the best.
Yes, they don't want to see un-cool, they think drugs make them the life of the party -- especially drugs like ecstasy which keep them awake long after they should have gotten some sleep. The fake high gives them the illusion that they're popular and fun and the life of the party but the drugs wear off and they're more a mess than ever when they do.

I think the depression comes later when they discover that the drugs really didn't make them cool at all, they're still the drab personalities they always were and it's taking more and more drugs to even feel just okay or reasonably presentable.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,498,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, they don't want to see un-cool, they think drugs make them the life of the party -- especially drugs like ecstasy which keep them awake long after they should have gotten some sleep. The fake high gives them the illusion that they're popular and fun and the life of the party but the drugs wear off and they're more a mess than ever when they do.

I think the depression comes later when they discover that the drugs really didn't make them cool at all, they're still the drab personalities they always were and it's taking more and more drugs to even feel just okay or reasonably presentable.
Apparently you've never rolled.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM

1,493 posts, read 2,673,839 times
Quote:
Not really. Unless one knows that person personally, why waste time getting sad about it? Of course, a parent could use that death as a way of deterring their own children from doing anything that stupid.

There are 7 billion people on this planet and...

Per minute: 267 born, 108 die, (net population increase: 159)
Per day: 384 thousand born, 156 thousand die, (net increase 229 thousand)
Per year: 140.4 million born, 56.7 million die, (net increase 83.6 million)

Read more: How many people are born and how many people die every minute

So how sad does anyone need to get over the death of this girl or every stranger? Death is inevitable. Some die young, some die old. At least her death was quick and no because of some lingering painful medical condition. And you're going to get sad over the death of this one particular teen, why not be sad all of the time over the other 126,000 humans that die every day?

Why? Because humankind should be care for the well being of our own and have compassion, and not every death is equal. If this girl was just a party animal, so be it, its unfortunate. If she had issues (like a lot that I see that use have), then it is sad that they didn't get resolved before this happened.

Well, why do we donate to poor countries then, I don't know any one of those kids personally, so why waste time with it. I'll also likely never end up in Africa for instance. Pain, suffering, starvation is inevitable, so lets just not have compassion for those that go through it? It helps you appreciate your own life and what you have.

(Also, there is a difference between something unfortunate being "sad" and me personally being sad and weeping in my chair, because I'm not weeping).

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM

10,892 posts, read 13,498,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post

(Also, there is a difference between something unfortunate being "sad" and me personally being sad and weeping in my chair, because I'm not weeping).

Definitely.

I don't see a point in showing blatant disregard and disrespect to those whom have died and the families/friends left behind.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,961,351 times
It doesn't cost me a thing to feel sympathy for someone. Not money, not time. Besides, I'm a good multi-tasker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships