U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2012, 12:48 AM
 
1,846 posts, read 2,734,871 times
Reputation: 2499

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
A substance once it is swallowed and absorbed in the system- snorted or injected...You are taking your chances...Once it's in there and you figure out you have been poisoned it's a little late....It's not like there is a quality control division on the street level...Any one who pops a pill and finds themselves in distress or worse- dying...is a victim of their own foolishness.


I've seen kids stoned on E- and they are rendered stupid...You wanna get stupid and have a good time- be my guest...I had to watch my kids like a hawk during their experimental period... Decades before..Back in my old rough rural neighborhood...There were a lot of dumb hicks who took to shooting meth....of the 18 that I knew- 17 are dead...Myself I remember the original prototype of E- It was called MDA- a very powerful drug...If you mixed alcohol with the substance or took a little to much- You would spend your evening struggling to stay alive. I have seen it all- and drugs...used for recreation is a game of Russian roulette ...I feel sorry for the dead girl....but parents these days really do not understand what dope is...The old boomers out of the 60s have personal experience and they make better advisers...than the newer younger parents..


There is no such thing as a harmless recreational drug.....Even pot is insidious- Nothing more disgusting than a mother sharing a joint with her teenager...It is sooooo white trash.
While I agree with what you stated regarding drugs, being a parent and watching your childlike a hawk?
I do not believe that the victim deserves less sympathy for trying a drug then Over dosing or that “THEIR” body did not react like it should have…

There have been many “good kids” let out for the night at a seemingly harmless concert (EDC) or any other big sponsored concert not just industrial raves as I useto go to back in the day.
I was a rave head, yet I never tried Special K, or rolled.
That was not my thing since I saw first hand by friends I had that had went to rehab because of their choices.
We are talking about again, good kids, that finally get to go out, and as parents we teach them, we beat it into their heads, we discuss the different drugs, (E) OR COMMONLY KNOWN AS ROLLING,. Meth, bath salts, Salvia and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
First, May God rest her soul and may her parents find solace and peace.

Speaking as a parent, I believe her parents are experiencing every parent's worst nightmare - the death of a child.

True enough, she is dead, in part, because of the choices that she made. However, other than to add to the pain of those she left behind, what good does it do to even comment on the fact that she had used a drug, when it is evident to everyone?

My question, to those who feel the need to judge and condemn her, is why?

Does it make you feel superior to her because you didn't do "something so stupid"?

Do you feel that you're a better person than she is?

Who made you the all-knowing and Almighty God who can and will judge her as a person and her whole life, based on this single act in her life?

May God show you more of His Grace and His mercy than you have shown towards her.

Have a blessed day, everyone
I agree with everything you stated with the exception of why the need to bring up the fact that this child lost their life due to a drug overdose. To me as a parent? Is very important and effective tool for my child..That tragedy? Allowed a open dialogue possible for my child and how it directly affects him and his peers.
I never sheltered my son from drugs, I have exposed him to the disaster, effects and so forth from a young age...education is key..as hard as it may be for parents whom lost a child to drugs.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not one to lump all drugs into the bad category. I mean I think pot should be legalized. But not all drugs are created equally. Anyone who buys pills off the street is taking a definite risk. God knows what they put in those pills.
ALL DRUGS ARE BAD..PERIOD.. You cannot be for one and not the others it makes you out to be a hypocrite..
Please spare me the benefits of Cannabis Sativa..I already know! And the THC (Active ingredient can be used in pill form without any of the other effects) "Smoking Pot" is used to alter a mood and this is a drug...As I stated THC can be extracted and used with the same effects ..hmmm?
Let us just agree to call a pot head a pot head without mincing words.
It has been proved that Pot is the gateway drug, no matter how many publications have been made..thank you very much.

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread, my purpose wasn't to argue that we shouldn't feel for her...I guess like the old idea that society has more sympathy is some young white girl is killed rather than a black man, even if he's innocent, something along the lines of that. Like I don't know, watching it on the news they act like she was some saint...not to say that should make a difference, but it's the attitude that you can do whatever you want, but the blame will always be somewhere else, and you'll be totally 'innocent.'
Well you had an agenda, you should have stated thus from the beginning..
And a child differs vastly from an adult imo, be they black, brown, yellow, purple and so forth.
While the story does change and I will give you that.
I.E. A white kid from the suburbs, GPA 4.8 honor society and so forth, affluent parents, one time use and now the child is dead? Hits home, it hits parents whom have their children in priovate and expensive schools, they attend church, mom is on the committee, dad holds a position of power and is chairman of many non profit orgs and so forth.
It makes a more profound statement that the drug epidemic has hit the elite no one is safe...

Than let's say, a child whom is a minority, comes from the projects, ghetto, low income, has two parents living in poverty, dad is addicted, mother does whatever to placate him and works 3 jobs. The child was left unattended and unsupervised for most of his life, attends a PS, he misses alot of classes because he ditches and no one cares! The kid holds a GPA of 1.5 has been suspended for fighting, stealing...ect, is a regular pot smoker, went to a party and tried E and then OD'D? It does not make headlines or evokes sympathy because this child is a stereo type, a statistic to begin with, there was no one in his corner...EVER...There was never No One that expected him to succeed.

You have your difference right here..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Sunny Bay Area, CA
1,568 posts, read 1,778,335 times
Reputation: 3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
It doesn't cost me a thing to feel sympathy for someone. Not money, not time. Besides, I'm a good multi-tasker.
This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2012, 08:54 PM
 
Location: In my skin
9,045 posts, read 14,292,807 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a few cases now of teenage girls (I'm sure boys have done so too but for some reason it's been girls) who have taken ecstasy at a party/rave/concert and died. The reasons varied: in one famous case here it was because the 15 year old girl had a rare, allergic-type reaction and her brain swelled. In another, the girl just took a really high dose (for some reason), perhaps she was suicidal or just not thinking straight.

In many cases, others are involved, but i don't think it's right to totally blame other parties, unless they really pressured her to take it/force-fed her of course. Taking any kind of pill is risky, so you should be prepared of the consequences.

Of course any death is tragic, but I have to admit I can't help but feel a bit less sympathy for these cases than those who say died as a passenger in a car accident.

There's a flood of tributes.etc from friends when this happens, and they always talk about what a kind, friendly, generous etc person she was. I mean they kind of have to, I suppose, so to be honest I do wonder when they say things like that. Not EVERYONE who dies a tragic death is some saint in life. NOT to say that taking drugs makes you a bad person or if you take drugs you deserve death, but it's treated as a tragic accident (I suppose in the case of ecstasy it kind of is, since it doesn't usually kill you, but the risks are there) when it's really the responsibility of that person.
Not knowing the background, it's really hard to judge. So, I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 4,714,106 times
Reputation: 4820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a few cases now of teenage girls (I'm sure boys have done so too but for some reason it's been girls) who have taken ecstasy at a party/rave/concert and died. The reasons varied: in one famous case here it was because the 15 year old girl had a rare, allergic-type reaction and her brain swelled. In another, the girl just took a really high dose (for some reason), perhaps she was suicidal or just not thinking straight.

In many cases, others are involved, but i don't think it's right to totally blame other parties, unless they really pressured her to take it/force-fed her of course. Taking any kind of pill is risky, so you should be prepared of the consequences.

Of course any death is tragic, but I have to admit I can't help but feel a bit less sympathy for these cases than those who say died as a passenger in a car accident.

There's a flood of tributes.etc from friends when this happens, and they always talk about what a kind, friendly, generous etc person she was. I mean they kind of have to, I suppose, so to be honest I do wonder when they say things like that. Not EVERYONE who dies a tragic death is some saint in life. NOT to say that taking drugs makes you a bad person or if you take drugs you deserve death, but it's treated as a tragic accident (I suppose in the case of ecstasy it kind of is, since it doesn't usually kill you, but the risks are there) when it's really the responsibility of that person.
Does it matter? She's dead. Her family on the other hand...

In the meantime, worry about you and your own kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,068 posts, read 5,307,485 times
Reputation: 3544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
You've been LIED to, for the most part, about how dangerous drugs are.

Marijuana is not dangerous. Not a single death has ever been recorded caused by it. Ever.

The government use to say (for all I know, they still do) that using crack just ONCE would cause a hopeless addiction. Not true, an out and out lie.

Other drugs can be dangerous, but most of the time that's more related to dosage than just using. Every substance, even plain old water, is deadly if too much is consumed. Some substances, say arsenic, are lethal at very low doses (the dosage required is known as "LD50", and is the amount of a substance, measured against body mass, that will kill 50% of people who take exactly that dose.)

Arsenic has a very low LD50. Water has a very high LD50, but people have died from overdoses from water. Most recreational drugs have LD50's that allow them to be used, safely, for recreational purposes. However, because they are illegal and manufactured by persons and organizations that have little or no quality control, and generally don't really care, there is no way to be sure.

If you are a regular heroin user, and your dose of choice is 5mg (note: I'm making numbers up, I have no idea what a "regular" or "LD50" dose is), and you get a batch that is 10x more potent than usual (which happens all the time), and you try to take your 5mg, you're gonna get 50mg. If that's above the LD50, you're in deep doo-doo.

I'll stop ranting, the point is, legalized drugs would DECREASE the amount of people who die from drugs. Anyone who claims otherwise is brainwashed or just daft.
Wow wow wow. I never meant Marijuana. I am definitely an advocate of legalizing it. However, some drugs do have potential to kill you in low doses and only on the first taking. Especially drugs like ecstasy that are cooked up in some addicts kitchen.

As for the legalization being better for saving lives. I am not sure I agree 100%, but I do see your point. I think hard drugs like Heroin, Ecstasy, and cocaine are okay being illegal for now. Marijuana needs to be legalized though. Even for just the taxes it would be smart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM
 
7,970 posts, read 11,631,158 times
Reputation: 10458
Human beings of all ages participate in risky behavior all the time. Its part of learning, its part of enjoying life. Sometimes bad things happen. I'm not condoning drugs but I'll hazard a guess that one of the reasons that kids think e is safe is that they've known takers, been takers and not seen anyone die. Hell for all I know maybe the death rate of e IS low. Learning is doing, experimenting. Some kids don't take it quite so far but some do. Shrug.
Even knowing that people die doesn't stop people. Going on the road doesn't stop any of us from taking 'unnecessary' road trips, running yellow lights.
My point is that when something bad happens I feel bad. Evil Knieval dies in a jump, yea I'm gonna feel bad for him and his family.
Now if that person is an animal abuser or something I won't feel quite so bad that they died but even then I'll feel bad that something in life made them an abuser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM
 
Location: philadelphia
160 posts, read 266,637 times
Reputation: 135
I feel bad for her.
A questionable decision is something all of us are guilty of at one time or another, especially when we are young. That doesn't make it any easier for her family or friends, and it doesn't mean that the life that was lost is any less valuable.
This girl was young and made a tragic mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 PM
 
7,970 posts, read 11,631,158 times
Reputation: 10458
Personally I get more irritated when people make willful decisions that put others at risk or that will cost everyone else money. Say, someone WITH THE MEANS to evacuate before a hurricane refuses to. Then the rescuers have to risk their lives to save them. Or people who insist on building expensive houses right on the water when you know they''ll be destroyed, probably after the govt spends a ton of money on seawalls or sand to save them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 04:13 PM
 
Location: Southern California
5,413 posts, read 8,121,556 times
Reputation: 5046
The whole "I was young & dumb" OR "A person has to experience something bad for them to learn a lesson" excuses are NOT good excuses to me at all. I was younger too, l;ike everyone else at one point & NEVER got into anything bad, didn't let peer pressure get to me, etc., so if I can do it, so can everyone else!

Sure, tragedies like these are tragic for the loved ones of the person who died, HOWEVER, they are senseless tragedies that didn't need to happen whatsoever. So, no, I really don't have sympathy for these kinds of tragedies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 02:31 PM
 
7,809 posts, read 5,948,768 times
Reputation: 5504
That would suck. Seeing how death is inevitable. A young death is usually tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top