U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,597,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am not sure why you post things like this at all.

Any death, no matter how it became, is a tragedy to SOMEONE. No one is a saint in life, for we are mere humans.

If I lost one of my children, no matter how it happened, it would be a severe tragedy in my life. It would be something that I don't think I could ever ever get over.

You don't need to show sympathy to the person who dies, she is gone. She is not here on earth feeling your sympathy.

Can you imagine how your smug attitude and look over their daughter feels to her parents?
What she said.

/End thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,601,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a few cases now of teenage girls (I'm sure boys have done so too but for some reason it's been girls) who have taken ecstasy at a party/rave/concert and died. The reasons varied: in one famous case here it was because the 15 year old girl had a rare, allergic-type reaction and her brain swelled. In another, the girl just took a really high dose (for some reason), perhaps she was suicidal or just not thinking straight.

In many cases, others are involved, but i don't think it's right to totally blame other parties, unless they really pressured her to take it/force-fed her of course. Taking any kind of pill is risky, so you should be prepared of the consequences.

Of course any death is tragic, but I have to admit I can't help but feel a bit less sympathy for these cases than those who say died as a passenger in a car accident.

There's a flood of tributes.etc from friends when this happens, and they always talk about what a kind, friendly, generous etc person she was. I mean they kind of have to, I suppose, so to be honest I do wonder when they say things like that. Not EVERYONE who dies a tragic death is some saint in life. NOT to say that taking drugs makes you a bad person or if you take drugs you deserve death, but it's treated as a tragic accident (I suppose in the case of ecstasy it kind of is, since it doesn't usually kill you, but the risks are there) when it's really the responsibility of that person.
The only people I don't have sympathy for when they die are those who willingly and maliciously do wrong to others. Rapists, child molesters and murderers get no sympathy from me. But people who take hardcore drugs like this girl I believe already feel like crap to begin with and have severe issues with self acceptance and self confidence which is why I feel no need to say "good riddance" or anything like that because it really doesn't do no good. These are people who had demons that they simply couldn't overcome in life. For them death was probably a release.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:41 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I think that's sad and people are rude.
A substance once it is swallowed and absorbed in the system- snorted or injected...You are taking your chances...Once it's in there and you figure out you have been poisoned it's a little late....It's not like there is a quality control division on the street level...Any one who pops a pill and finds themselves in distress or worse- dying...is a victim of their own foolishness.

I've seen kids stoned on E- and they are rendered stupid...You wanna get stupid and have a good time- be my guest...I had to watch my kids like a hawk during their experimental period... Decades before..Back in my old rough rural neighborhood...There were a lot of dumb hicks who took to shooting meth....of the 18 that I knew- 17 are dead...Myself I remember the original prototype of E- It was called MDA- a very powerful drug...If you mixed alcohol with the substance or took a little to much- You would spend your evening struggling to stay alive. I have seen it all- and drugs...used for recreation is a game of Russian roulette ...I feel sorry for the dead girl....but parents these days really do not understand what dope is...The old boomers out of the 60s have personal experience and they make better advisers...than the newer younger parents..

There is no such thing as a harmless recreational drug.....Even pot is insidious- Nothing more disgusting than a mother sharing a joint with her teenager...It is sooooo white trash.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:43 PM

2,790 posts, read 2,510,516 times
First, May God rest her soul and may her parents find solace and peace.

Speaking as a parent, I believe her parents are experiencing every parent's worst nightmare - the death of a child.

True enough, she is dead, in part, because of the choices that she made. However, other than to add to the pain of those she left behind, what good does it do to even comment on the fact that she had used a drug, when it is evident to everyone?

My question, to those who feel the need to judge and condemn her, is why?

Does it make you feel superior to her because you didn't do "something so stupid"?

Do you feel that you're a better person than she is?

Who made you the all-knowing and Almighty God who can and will judge her as a person and her whole life, based on this single act in her life?

May God show you more of His Grace and His mercy than you have shown towards her.

Have a blessed day, everyone

Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,495,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That is not the question from the original poster, the question is: How much sympathy do YOU have for her?

My answer, none, it was her choice to take an illegal substance and the result of that choice is that she died. End of story, her body, her choice, her death. I do have sympathy for those in her family and circle of friends who have been left behind to deal with loss and grief but I have no sympathy for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am not sure why you post things like this at all.

Any death, no matter how it became, is a tragedy to SOMEONE. No one is a saint in life, for we are mere humans.

If I lost one of my children, no matter how it happened, it would be a severe tragedy in my life. It would be something that I don't think I could ever ever get over.

You don't need to show sympathy to the person who dies, she is gone. She is not here on earth feeling your sympathy.

Can you imagine how your smug attitude and look over their daughter feels to her parents?
I did answer the OP's question. The name of his thread was this: Teenage girl dies from ecstasy overdose, how much sympathy do you have for her?

I told him you don't have to have any sympathy for her. I went on to add that it is the people left behind who need the sympathy. You can mourn her death, but she will not feel your sympathy in any earthly manner, as she is gone. You show sympathy to the living.

When my mother died and I had to tell my grandmother it was the hardest thing I have ever done so far in my life. As I told my grandmother that her child passed I held her hand, and I could feel her heart breaking. I grieved my mothers death but I did not have sympathy for her because she had no earthly feelings.

I was sad that she was gone but happy for her that she no longer felt pain.

We obviously have different feelings on the matter.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:27 PM

676 posts, read 1,053,454 times
Ok, hypothetical, someone drives when they are tired. They are completely sober. We know that driving when you're tired is dangerous. And just for argument's sake, it's not for anything essential like work. It's a vacation or coming back from visiting friends. The person falls asleep at the wheel and crashes. He or she dies in the crash. Do you feel any more or any less sorry for that person than you would for the girl who ODed?

My point being most of us do something stupid which could get us killed at one point or another in our lives. Or have unhealthy habits. Now, if people choose not to have any sympathy for preventable deaths, that I can understand. But I don't understand why preventable deaths by drugs are judged so much more harshly than other preventable deaths.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
Ok, hypothetical, someone drives when they are tired. They are completely sober. We know that driving when you're tired is dangerous. And just for argument's sake, it's not for anything essential like work. It's a vacation or coming back from visiting friends. The person falls asleep at the wheel and crashes. He or she dies in the crash. Do you feel any more or any less sorry for that person than you would for the girl who ODed?

My point being most of us do something stupid which could get us killed at one point or another in our lives. Or have unhealthy habits. Now, if people choose not to have any sympathy for preventable deaths, that I can understand. But I don't understand why preventable deaths by drugs are judged so much more harshly than other preventable deaths.
Haven't you heard...internet forums are frequented by perfect people who have lived flawless lives? They've always done the right thing, even when they were teenagers they somehow made enlightened decisions, and never made any mistakes. Which in turn, grants them the right to judge others for poor choices they may have made.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:18 PM

99 posts, read 169,988 times
It's sad when any child dies as a result of their own bad decisions. But sympathy is a useless commodity for the dead.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,495,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Haven't you heard...internet forums are frequented by perfect people who have lived flawless lives? They've always done the right thing, even when they were teenagers they somehow made enlightened decisions, and never made any mistakes. Which in turn, grants them the right to judge others for poor choices they may have made.
Thats right.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,392,057 times
The reality is that she was a child. And most children aren't strong enough to navigate life by themselves. I feel sad that she didn't have the support of family or real friends to have ended up in this situation to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships