U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 PM

43,469 posts, read 52,484,972 times

Advertisements

I have zero sympathy for any moron who does X or whatever and then dies.

I don't feel sad, either.

Who I feel TERRIBLE for is her parents. That part breaks my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,340,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have zero sympathy for any moron who does X or whatever and then dies.

I don't feel sad, either.

Who I feel TERRIBLE for is her parents. That part breaks my heart.
What a callous attitude. I absolutely have sympathy for her. Who didn't do something stupid that could have gotten themselves killed when they were a teenger? And of course when someone dies people are going to remember them in the most positive light. Wouldn't anyone want to be remembered that way? What kind of monsters sit around after someone dies and say oh well, they were a crappy person anyway, good riddance?? She did drugs, so she deserved what she got. Really...it's pretty disturbing people think this way.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:26 PM

43,469 posts, read 52,484,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
What a callous attitude. I absolutely have sympathy for her. Who didn't do something stupid that could have gotten themselves killed when they were a teenger? And of course when someone dies people are going to remember them in the most positive light. Wouldn't anyone want to be remembered that way? What kind of monsters sit around after someone dies and say oh well, they were a crappy person anyway, good riddance?? She did drugs, so she deserved what she got. Really...it's pretty disturbing people think this way.
Yes.
When people who know better (and every kid knows - DON'T DO DRUGS) do something stupid and something bad happens to them, I don't generally feel very bad about it.

Why? Because they took their own lives into their own hands.

If some three year old found a pill and took it and died, I would be crushed and sad as hell. He doesn't know any better.

But throw a rock and you will see a commercial or a PSA or a poster saying, "IF YOU DO DRUGS, YOU CAN DIE." So spare me the 'callous' crap. What is callous is going around thinking you can do whatever you want all the time and then making everyone else live with the consequences.

I'm sick and tired of this attitude in society.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,145,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard a few cases now of teenage girls (I'm sure boys have done so too but for some reason it's been girls) who have taken ecstasy at a party/rave/concert and died. The reasons varied: in one famous case here it was because the 15 year old girl had a rare, allergic-type reaction and her brain swelled. In another, the girl just took a really high dose (for some reason), perhaps she was suicidal or just not thinking straight.

In many cases, others are involved, but i don't think it's right to totally blame other parties, unless they really pressured her to take it/force-fed her of course. Taking any kind of pill is risky, so you should be prepared of the consequences.

Of course any death is tragic, but I have to admit I can't help but feel a bit less sympathy for these cases than those who say died as a passenger in a car accident.

There's a flood of tributes.etc from friends when this happens, and they always talk about what a kind, friendly, generous etc person she was. I mean they kind of have to, I suppose, so to be honest I do wonder when they say things like that. Not EVERYONE who dies a tragic death is some saint in life. NOT to say that taking drugs makes you a bad person or if you take drugs you deserve death, but it's treated as a tragic accident (I suppose in the case of ecstasy it kind of is, since it doesn't usually kill you, but the risks are there) when it's really the responsibility of that person.
I don't understand this attitude at all.
I would regard this as a tragic accident, because how many 15-year-old girls are adult enough to fully realize what repercussions there could be - she was just a child - many people will do things they wouldn't ordinarily do, when prodded or urged to....

It was a terrible accident: youth + the adolescent thinking "Nothing can hurt me" + peer pressure equals this awful situation.

It is terribly sad and I feel for the poor girl's parents. (to put it mildly)

Old 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
It's sad when any child dies as a result of their own bad decisions. But sympathy is a useless commodity for the dead.
Neither is harsh judgment or any emotions towards this girl she can't see any of us talk about her.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:10 PM

28,906 posts, read 46,631,923 times
Well, we're not monsters.

It's sad on all kinds of levels. First, a life cut short. Second, there are the parents who can never get a child back. Third, a child who had not learned wisdom yet and paid a terrible price. Mind you, a fifteen-year-old should know better. But that child is still not quite an adult.

I would be less sympathetic towards a thirty- or forty-year-old who died. But a fifteen-year-old? It's just awful any way you look at it.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:20 PM

7,203 posts, read 12,604,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
If you take drugs, you deserve what you get. If what you get is death, you have earned it.

There's a very good way to avoid dying by drug overdose. DON'T TAKE DRUGS.

We all know that drugs are bad for you. Those of us who choose to ignore that fact are deserving of any and all consequences they get.
What a lovely, Christ-like attitude (said because this poster is allegedly a devout "Christian").

I too, like Pikantari and a few others, am sad that so many are saying basically that the kid deserved what she got. Was it stupid to take drugs? Yes, of course. Do teenagers do stupid things? All the time. I don't know ANY teenager who was perfect all the time, who never gave in to peer pressure, who never disobeyed his or her parents, etc. I was pretty straight-laced as a teenager but I too did some stupid stuff.

Very sad for the kid who never got a chance to grow up, AND for her parents.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM

12,890 posts, read 15,380,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
I have a lot of sympathy for any teenager who dies, whether they were doing something stupid or not. Teenagers do dumb things, I did my fair share of stupid things as a teen, many of which could have got me killed. For a young life to be snuffed out because they indulged a little too much is quite tragic.
Yes, I agree completely with you

Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM

12,890 posts, read 15,380,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
If you take drugs, you deserve what you get. If what you get is death, you have earned it.

There's a very good way to avoid dying by drug overdose. DON'T TAKE DRUGS.

We all know that drugs are bad for you. Those of us who choose to ignore that fact are deserving of any and all consequences they get.
I could possibly agree with you if you were talking adults here, but we're talking a young teen, she made a mistake, she paid with her life, she could not be expected to have the same cognizance as an adult, and therefore she most certainly did NOT deserve to die....

Old 09-26-2012, 06:49 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,174,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
True enough, she is dead, in part, because of the choices that she made. However, other than to add to the pain of those she left behind, what good does it do to even comment on the fact that she had used a drug, when it is evident to everyone?

My question, to those who feel the need to judge and condemn her, is why?

Does it make you feel superior to her because you didn't do "something so stupid"?
For those of us who merely shake our heads in disgust and think "another kid who thought they could get away with that crap", it is the sense of futility.

Those youngsters could not plead ignorance of the consequences of taking drugs. They can't. The headlines scream of kids dying; they probably see their own friends suffer the consequences. They know what can happen when those drugs are ingested.

Maybe parents need to start knocking the esteem of their kids down a peg. Throw in some good old fashioned guilt tripping. They need to be told "you are not special. You are not Wondergirl or Wonderboy: someone who will be immune from the effects or can discount the dangers of those drugs. You take them and you will quite likely die. You will bring massive grief to this family; perhaps even break it. Taking those drugs is not a matter of having fun, it is selfish."

I'd start taking away the fripperies given to kids if they are found to be taking those drugs. Those brats are showing the ultimate selfishness and self-centered attitude, so why should a parent be so generous to their offspring, giving them whatever new toy or iPhone comes on the market and is snatched up by friends, if their child is so willing to blow their lives away. If those kids want to live on the edge, so frivolously risk their lives and be willing to send their parents into an abyss of grief, then there is no reason that the parent should spend their hard-earned income on them for anything other than the essentials. It's all going to end up wasted because the kid wants to get high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships