U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 PM

8,018 posts, read 6,603,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
What's your source for this information?
High birthrate threatens to trap Africa in cycle of poverty | From the Guardian | Guardian Weekly

Birth rate - Country Comparison

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...r/2127rank.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:23 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,741,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMoose View Post
You do realise that far more people die from reactions to properly prescribed medications than illegal drugs, right?
Wouldn't surprise me.

However, I would have sympathy for such a person. He/she would be taking that drug believing, on the advice of a competent, educated, licensed professional, that it will heal a condition he/she has. When a doctor says "take this pill and you'll probably get better", you generally take the pill. I know I always have. It hasn't failed me yet. I have had some reactions to drugs, but I know that I am betting that the chance I will have a bad reaction, multiplied by the likely severity of that reaction, is less than the chance that I will be healed multiplied by the severity of the illness that presently plagues me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMoose View Post
Yet, the common perception is that legal drugs are safe and illegal drugs are unsafe. That is not really true. My point is not to espouse illegal drugs, but to highlight the fact that what we perceive to be true is not necessarily true. Perhaps the girl who died had a perception that ecstasy was safe, due to the knowledge she had at the time. People die all the time, despite the best intentions and knowledge and medical history is full of mistakes made by highly-educated people.
Was she prescribed Ecstasy by a competent doctor?

Or did she get it in a cash deal executed in the woods behind her school from a guy she only knew by his street nickname?

I rest my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Health wise, she'd be better off popping some E.
Your credibility-ometer just dropped to zero.

Quote:
You stated you have Asperger's. Does your brother? I'm going to guess no.
No. My dad does, but he'll never admit it. My brother certainly does not.

Quote:
Maybe the fact that you had Asperger's kept you sheltered from the peer pressure/influence your brother faced?
Could be. I often say that it was an extreme advantage that I was different from everyone else, because I got to the point of realizing that I didn't have a snowball's chance in he|| of "fitting in"... and that's very liberating, because it's the perfect excuse to stop trying. My brother, on the other hand, was always able to ride the fence if not necessarily fit in completely with any particular group.

Doesn't mean I never experienced peer pressure though. I remained a virgin until I got married at age 27 and that's something where there will ALWAYS be peer pressure. "Dude, really?! You don't know what you're missing! It's AWESOME!" (They were right. But it's only awesome when it can be done totally guilt-free.) Some girls propositioned me just because they wanted to be "the one" to get my much-prized virginity. (They told me this.) That's a different level of pressure, right there. That appeals to one of the most basic physiological needs of any man. It's like putting pepperoni pizza in front of someone who is on a diet.

I still didn't give in, though.

And you know what?

I DON'T REGRET IT.

I may have waited until age 27. I may have missed out on the action I could have had in perhaps 11 of my sexually mature years. But... I know I am not anybody's "baby daddy". I know I don't have any STDs. And I know I had the willpower to give something special the value it deserved, even though doing so took over a decade of self-sacrifice.

Ain't many people who can say that.

So, I know peer pressure. I know "pressure" in general.

And I beat it.

Since I'm not Superman, it stands to reason that if I can do it, anyone can.

All it takes is recalling what we all know. Drugs are bad. Cigarettes are bad. Drinking is bad. All of that stuff is also illegal in America, at least up to a certain age that is no lower than 18. We see this information everywhere we go. If we choose to disregard it, even if it is because we have an addictive personality or whatever, we are also choosing to accept the consequences. I reserve my sympathy for people who suffer consequences without knowingly inviting those consequences upon themselves.

And by the way, all ye who might rant and rave about how I portray Jesus Christ, listen to how Jesus Christ portrays Himself:

Matthew 10:34 "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword"

Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM

7,752 posts, read 14,419,838 times
Quote:

Your credibility-ometer just dropped to zero.
You should be more concerned with your wife's doctor's credibility.

Quote:
Since I'm not Superman, it stands to reason that if I can do it, anyone can.
If everything was that simple and easy, then your wife wouldn't be at 400 lbs.

Quote:
All it takes is recalling what we all know. Drugs are bad. Cigarettes are bad. Drinking is bad. All of that stuff is also illegal in America, at least up to a certain age that is no lower than 18. We see this information everywhere we go. If we choose to disregard it, even if it is because we have an addictive personality or whatever, we are also choosing to accept the consequences. I reserve my sympathy for people who suffer consequences without knowingly inviting those consequences upon themselves.
Drugs aren't necessarily bad. Alcohol isn't necessarily bad. It's their misuse and abuse that is bad and why it's regulated.

TheImportersWife 9:35 "Take It Sleezy"

Old 09-27-2012, 07:40 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
post no. 2.

that's all.
Do I see some warmth in those Doll Eyes of yours? jk

Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
You should be more concerned with your wife's doctor's credibility.

If everything was that simple and easy, then your wife wouldn't be at 400 lbs.

Drugs aren't necessarily bad. Alcohol isn't necessarily bad. It's their misuse and abuse that is bad and why it's regulated.

TheImportersWife 9:35 "Take It Sleezy"
I'm not one to lump all drugs into the bad category. I mean I think pot should be legalized. But not all drugs are created equally. Anyone who buys pills off the street is taking a definite risk. God knows what they put in those pills.

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread, my purpose wasn't to argue that we shouldn't feel for her...I guess like the old idea that society has more sympathy is some young white girl is killed rather than a black man, even if he's innocent, something along the lines of that. Like I don't know, watching it on the news they act like she was some saint...not to say that should make a difference, but it's the attitude that you can do whatever you want, but the blame will always be somewhere else, and you'll be totally 'innocent.'

Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,651,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
This thread makes me feel sad for humanity. I'm a pretty rational and logical person. I've never done drugs and never been tempted to. But life is hard for some people. It just is. I had a friend in high school who was a smart girl and a good person with a nice family, but she just couldn't get it together. She couldn't handle life and she made stupid decision after stupid decision. And even though a lot of her problems were her own fault, I still felt bad for her. Something about her was just broken. No one wants to do drugs, no one wants to be addicted to drugs or cigarettes, but I don't think it's that easy. Some people have addictive personalities and saying no is almost impossible for them. Having compassion and empathy for other human beings regardless of whether what happens is their own fault or not, says a lot about what kind of person you are.

A 15 year old knows that taking drugs is wrong, but she's not yet an adult and probably doesn't yet realize that her actions could have real consequences. I remember doing stupid things as a teenager. You feel immortal and that no matter what you do nothing bad will ever really happen. Most of us grow out of it, but sadly she won't have that chance and here some of you are saying oh well, her own fault.
Then it's a Darwin thing. I was 15 once and I knew better than to do drugs. It would be difficult to really believe that a 15 year old wouldn't know anything about illegal drugs and really would believe they are completely safe.

It's like kids playing Russian Roulette versus being completely innocent and getting murdered. There is a difference when someone causes his or her own death. You can still feel somewhat sorry for a kid who kills himself when he didn't think there would be a bullet or through drugs and definitely you could feel sympathy for the family.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 AM

7 posts, read 6,698 times
Well,I have two coursins who dead not long ago because drogs.One of then was because he mixed drogs,medication,and alkohol.He never wants to hear anybody .He had heart problems.When he died,I was hier in Germany.Since this day 2008 till now I still can not believe it.This year his brother dead,he was in the clinik because drogs in Brazil.He killed hiself.I cried so much like a small kid in panik or hysteric I do not know.....I think medication is also kind of drongs but if the doctor care about you and you need it ,why not,but some drogs like every drogs like you can buy everywhere going in the party or cause you are depressiv,it will just kill you,and I think people whose wants kill hiself or like to get this prove,then its crazy.Of course,every teenager makes things like nobody can believe,they are still child in a adult body???than they can not know the consequences about their actions sometimes or getting influences from friends,lovers.......I can tell you it is a tragedy,and it is a horror for the family and relatives.They suffer very much about and damage maybe their health sistem???they became depressive or even crazy,when you love someone and you know they uses drogs to kill theirselfes or because it has happen.
I have a daughter she is 17 y old,I am happy that she uses no drogs.
I myself if I do not feel good and nothing help I have to go to the doctor or making a Terapy,but using drogs???
One thing which helps me much is to pray.
My believe in God is a big power.
Of course I am not an angel.
Ecstasy must be very strong and if you have an over dose???I think you will gonna die.Teenagers has to be explainned and how to be strong against the influences around.
I hate drongs.
it can be a nice effect but if you gonna die or be crazy with so why???

Old 09-28-2012, 05:00 AM

10,586 posts, read 10,772,650 times
The parents suffered beyond belief- they will be in pain for years to come- that is the tragic part- The young person is gone- the mother and the father and siblings will sit and question why? The answer is and always will be- The duty of the parent is to protect...to warn- to watch over---supervision dramatically increases your child's chances of survival.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 AM

793 posts, read 1,288,453 times
It's always tragic when someone passes away from a drug overdose. Especially when they are so young.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 AM
miu

17,149 posts, read 34,648,266 times
What's the point in getting all emo over the stupid actions of a complete stranger? I'd rather be emo over our melting arctic ice cap and the starved drowning polar bears in that region. Or over any of our nearly extinct wild creatures.

There are over 7 billion human beings on this planet and most of them lead miserable lives because of poverty, a lack of decent food and drinkable water, and overcrowded unsanitary conditions. And so many human problems could be solved by not thoughtlessly breeding and not blindly following their religion.

And I do my part by NOT having children, living simply and not owning a gas guzzling SUV. I also keep my house temps low in the winter. And I work hard and pay my taxes. I try to give the other people in my life support and good advice, and tell them to use commonsense. And beyond that, I live my life to please myself... and I'm good with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships