U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 AM

10,890 posts, read 13,578,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If the question was ecstasy. So if she was 21, you would feel a lot less sympathy for her?

In both cases neither EXPECTED that ecstasy could be so risky, I mean it's not quite heroin, but it's not like smoking weed either. Any old chemical substance you buy off the street is gonna be risky, especially not knowing what exactly goes into it. It's kind of a pity that more kids aren't educated and aren't caught up in this hedonistic need to get high on something.
I'd say the real problem here is a lack of quality drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,473,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
That's probably it. I don't go for pills, in general, though, they are bad news, even if they're 'pure.' I'm a bit suspicious of prescription meds as well.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 AM

7,752 posts, read 14,433,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What's the point in getting all emo over the stupid actions of a complete stranger? I'd rather be emo over our melting arctic ice cap and the starved drowning polar bears in that region. Or over any of our nearly extinct wild creatures.

What's the point of posting on a messageboard full of complete strangers? Wouldn't your time be better served doing something more meaningful?

Quote:
And I do my part by NOT having children, living simply and not owning a gas guzzling SUV.
And we thank you for that! I'm also guessing you ride a bike as opposed to any vehicle reliant on fuel?

But I digress! ...off to pick up my kids in my Urban Assault Vehicle aka the gas guzzling Excursion. Ciao!

Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 AM

8,018 posts, read 6,615,807 times
Quote:
What's the point in getting all emo over the stupid actions of a complete stranger? I'd rather be emo over our melting arctic ice cap and the starved drowning polar bears in that region. Or over any of our nearly extinct wild creatures.

There are over 7 billion human beings on this planet and most of them lead miserable lives because of poverty, a lack of decent food and drinkable water, and overcrowded unsanitary conditions. And so many human problems could be solved by not thoughtlessly breeding and not blindly following their religion.

And I do my part by NOT having children, living simply and not owning a gas guzzling SUV. I also keep my house temps low in the winter. And I work hard and pay my taxes. I try to give the other people in my life support and good advice, and tell them to use commonsense. And beyond that, I live my life to please myself... and I'm good with that.
It is possible for people to have big enough hearts to feel sympathy for this girl and feel concern for all of those issues that you listed. Maybe you choose to have a limited supply of sympathy in your heart but not everybody else does. There are a lot of people out there that have big hearts, big enough to show compassion for both this girl and what's going on in the world. You have the right not to feel sympathy for this kid but recognize that other people do have the right to feel that sympathy.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM

3,916 posts, read 3,596,343 times
I have infinite sympathy for this girl and for her family. I am 52 now, and I sometimes marvel that I didn't die from stupid things I did when I was younger\. This includes drugs, drunk driving, practicing unsafe habits, going to risky areas, and on and on.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Yes. Who really wants to end up addicted to meth or become a crack head? I don't think kids grow up thinking oh man, when I grow up I want to be a druggie! Maybe someone wants to do drugs because they think they can do them without consequences or don't think they'll get addicted. Who knows. But seriously, who aspires to a life of doing drugs?
I know drug users and long-term drug addicts who absolutely love doing drugs. That's why they do them!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM

791 posts, read 1,253,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
There's a newsletter called "Microgram." You can still see back numbers of it on DEA's website, though not long ago they got it made 'for law enforcement eyes only.'

Pity. They used to analyze seized drugs, including alleged X. Often, there was no MDMA in the pills at all - they were slumgullions of 3, 4, 5 different drugs. The effect of these combinations (along with alcohol, pot, and whatever else people take along with them) are impossible to predict.

I have a lot of sympathy for that poor girl and her family. And, I join with those here who question the "Christianity" of those who think that death served her right.

That being said, I think: a) it's very unwise to put chemicals like that in your body b) if you do, there's an outfit called "DanceSafe" that gives guidance on testing the pills.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:04 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,789,504 times
Drugs- There was this material mined female real estate person that I knew...long time back- and she used say she liked her drugs because it made her feel "spiritual"...Give me a break..You would have to be with out a soul to think that getting stoned on some chemical or some weed is spiritual...It's dope...it makes you slightly more stupid than you are and what you think when you are high is no even close to being of the spirit....it's a lie....

This girl who died popping pills and thinking she was having a wonderful time had no spiritual training....They over look the fact that some bastard is in their basement stirring up a bunch of chemicals that amount to nothing but poison...Manufacture and sell this crap out of sheer greed.

How evil can you be when you KNOW for sure....that when you are enriching yourself...loading up bags of thousands of pills..that someone is going to die...these bastards realize this..that for every 10 thousand dollars they make..a death occurs...People should understand whey you buy dope- you support evil- you support your enemy.

Even pot- when you buy a bit..somewhere back down the line some biker typed has bashed someones head in with a bat...or some peasant ended up soup in Mexico as a cartel killer loaded their corpse into a barrel of acid.. Sure people like recreational used of dope- they don't like to think of the fact that it is the business of the lowest of the low.

Or take the cocaine issue- how many children have gone hungry or how many families have been destroyed by it's seductive nature. Eventually if you are a big boozer or doper- mental illness caused by organic brain injury occurs - in the end...you become a burned out shell- while some jerk drives away in a high end car...on his way to his fine home...and the high end dope dealer makes sure THEIR family never goes near it...but it's okay for other families to be destroyed so theirs can thrive..

Don't help those that are willing to kill you for profit..if you do- you deserve what you get- Parents should explain this to their kids- that they are sending their money to the devil.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:51 PM

7,288 posts, read 13,523,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe it's a bit unsympathetic of me, but it annoys me that whenever someone dies they always say what a great kid he/she was, how they were such an angel. It's the whole attitude that she was cruelly 'taken' that annoys me a bit. At the end of the day she took a risk and paid with her life. It's a tragedy. In the case of taking an OVERDOSE, she wasn't the victim at all. The victim of her own whatever, maybe.
That's pretty much what I think. Dying in a plane crash is being taken. Going to a party and playing Russian roulette with mystery drugs, is not.

IMO, it makes survivors feel better to say things like "she was taken from us", or "she was an angel". Maybe she was an angel part of the time. I feel for the survivors, but some things are just plain stupid. Just because people thread the needle many times and nothing happens to them, doesn't mean that some other person won't end up dead much sooner, as a result of the same actions.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:33 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,576,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
If you take drugs, you deserve what you get. If what you get is death, you have earned it.

There's a very good way to avoid dying by drug overdose. DON'T TAKE DRUGS.

We all know that drugs are bad for you. Those of us who choose to ignore that fact are deserving of any and all consequences they get.

I disagree. One thing that needs to be taken into consideration always these days: Drugs are sometimes administered without the knowledge of the person who has taken them. Especially if the person is especially naive or trusting; has enemies; or is a young, attractive female, it's quite possible another person put the drug in their drink.

Unless I was there and knew the person and the exact circumstances I would never make a judgment about a drug death in a world where date rape and vicious pranks are so common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships