Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
Havent had one so far, you must be a "special" case
Then you must be hanging around some high class women. What kind of woman would let a completely stranger touch her ass in public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Mamboobz is the posterboy for feminist sycophant. Try again.
I'd prefer a feminist sychophant than a group of men who want to subjugate women and in many cases bring physical and mental harm to them for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
I think it is being used more because it is being used more. Which is to say, it has broadly entered into the social lexicon.

With that said, I think guys universally find it annoying (unattractive guys for the whole double standards thing, attractive guys because not-so-attractive girls will sometimes loudly call a guy a creep when you reject them in a sort of sour grapes "if you won't take me home you'll take no one home tonight" act, and everyone because no one likes being insulted or seeing friends being insulted), and its use does social harm to the women using it (great way to reduce the opinion the guys around you have of you), so it would be better all around if it hadn't become so commonplace, but it is and that's that until the trend runs out of steam.

edit: can we stop with the generic genderbashing all-around? It detracts from the discourse without even the saving grace of being funny or entertaining.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:51 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,426,017 times
Never understood guys who touch stranger women's asses.....Doesn't seem very pleasurable of much of a thrill to me!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
men who want to subjugate women and in many cases bring physical and mental harm to them for fun.
Citation required. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:39 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Citation required. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
GirlWritesWhat on “The Necessity of Domestic Violence”: “I don’t really find too much [that's] seriously ethically questionable.” « man boobz

The necessity of domestic violence. With links to the /MR reddit thread it came from. Ignore the commentary if you like, but the raw evidence is there.

If you need websites of whole groups of men advocating violence against women, PM me and I'll send them to you, I'm not posting them here.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
For women gen X and before, creepy is a special designation for the stalkers, naked-under-a-trench coat, etc sort of men. IE, the genuinely "creepy" who probably had an arrest record.

For my generation (Y/millenial), it applies to anyone who doesn't pass muster. Interestingly, I think that calling someone creepy is the quickest way of dismissing someone, as it negates any responsibility and need for rationalisation.
Yeah it's just thrown around all the time these days. Young people - well all people but I hang around young people - can be incredibly judgemental, unforgiving and self-righteous. For women of limited vocab, the Paris Hilton types, creepy might mean just anyone they want to go away.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I think there IS some of this.

On the other hand I also think there is a certain controlling faddishness to it, a kind of "empowering" tendency to overstep it, make it more than a defense and actually part of a commonplace vernacular, hand out the term far too freely.

I think there ARE a lot of men who behave like creeps and need to be made overtly accountable for misbehaviour; but I see a lot of women for whom the difference IS solely whether or not the man perpetrating any given behaviour is attractive or not.
This society just loves mocking people. American society, especially, loves to call people names.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
Bit curious as to how you got that SlutWalks were 'scantily clad women marching in unison as if all men are rapists or sexual predators' rather than 'scantily clad women marching in unison against victim-blaming and the notion that a woman is asking to be raped because she dressed like a ****'.

Just tried to rep your last few posts-got to spread the love first.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:52 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
I think it is being used more because it is being used more. Which is to say, it has broadly entered into the social lexicon.

With that said, I think guys universally find it annoying (unattractive guys for the whole double standards thing, attractive guys because not-so-attractive girls will sometimes loudly call a guy a creep when you reject them in a sort of sour grapes "if you won't take me home you'll take no one home tonight" act, and everyone because no one likes being insulted or seeing friends being insulted), and its use does social harm to the women using it (great way to reduce the opinion the guys around you have of you), so it would be better all around if it hadn't become so commonplace, but it is and that's that until the trend runs out of steam.

edit: can we stop with the generic genderbashing all-around? It detracts from the discourse without even the saving grace of being funny or entertaining.
I like this the best...it really covers all the bases. It really amazes me how strongly some feel about the opposite gender. I read here on this forum mostly so my experience is limited, but I hadn't heard about all these other sites. I do wish that some of those folks who feel so strongly (negatively) had better experiences that didn't make them so angry...makes me sad.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:29 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
A gender bashing statement that I'm sure the fair and balanced mods will do something about I'm sure.

oh please. My opinion remains the same. Even if it is (which IMO it's not) I don't go around whining about all the men on here who in every thread are talking down about different types of women. Put your big boy undies on and move on with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships