Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:49 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times

Advertisements

In the last 10 years of men being refered to as creepy, pervert etc.

It was next to non-existant 20 years ago.

Its not like men have suddenly started behaving like this.

Very much an overused phrase now, when sometimes its not applicable and its actually very insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Online or in the real world?

[i have not noticed any increase]

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
In the last 10 years of men being refered to as creepy, pervert etc.

It was next to non-existant 20 years ago.

Its not like men have suddenly started behaving like this.

Very much an overused phrase now, when sometimes its not applicable and its actually very insulting.
It's only "creepy" if the man approaching a women is unattractive.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
That isn't true at all. I remember 20 years ago very well and there were creepy perverts back then. I recall my Mother talking about creepy men back in her day. Her and her sister were walking home from school as little girls and some creep exposed himself to them. It isn't new. The internet has simply made it more obvious.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Some good points already. Just trying to get a discussion going on the subject.
Now, another key point is the online life, where it is very common, spills over to the real world.
I've only ever been called something like this by one person. I since learnt in her country the word has a different meaning.
Not sure how true it is though.

Also many women feel more en-powered these days.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
That isn't true at all. I remember 20 years ago very well and there were creepy perverts back then. I recall my Mother talking about creepy men back in her day. Her and her sister were walking home from school as little girls and some creep exposed himself to them. It isn't new. The internet has simply made it more obvious.
Yeah, that's what it is. They were there, but just not publicized or available to search this easily. Thanking technology.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Women are less conditioned to be polite and accommodating in the face of shocking rudeness or disturbing behavior. Previously, a woman who drew unwelcome attention was more likely to be blamed for drawing that attention. Now, there's less of a "blame the victim" mentality, and women feel more comfortable asserting themselves.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,768 times
Likely there is a massive increase in the last 10 years of men being referred to as creepy as:
- more men than women have socializing issues (body language, facial expressions)
- social disorders tend to affect men more than women
- it seems men don't care about how their behavior may affect women
- it seems only recently are men being called on their bad sexual behavior towards women rather then it being brushed off or dismissed as boys will be boys or berated as trying to shame a man for his masculinity

In your experience it's not like men have suddenly started behaving like this. Mine and several gal pals differ vastly. I know many gals who stated it's as if suddenly hitting puberty turns men into creeps and perverts who regard you as a sexual object for their pleasure often reacting violently when you refuse.

I don't think creepy is insulting rather it is stating being scared, discomforted, or uncomfortable with someone's actions, words, and/or behavior. Likely the reason one may consider being called creepy insulting is because it may force one to reflect on how their behavior affects that person. Gender specific: Why Guys Really Hate Being Called 'Creepy'

I do think pervert is insulting as it implies disagreement with someone's sexuality.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,307,651 times
Isnt it funny, if an unattractive girl approaches you and you blow her offf its rude, other way around its "creepy".

Double standards are something else.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
I knew a woman not long ago that used the word creepy a lot.
I think some people throw it around a lot more than others. And for the most part, creepy can be anything that is weird or makes someone feel even a little bit uncomfortable. It almost seems like people use it to deflect. "hey look at that creepy so and so." It distracts people from the fact that the person who said it is freaked out, and the focus goes on the 'creepy' whatever. hahah, sucker !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships