U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,510,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
That if you want to stay friends with people, don't post your political or religious viewpoints online. And that a lot of people use it to avoid personal contact with "friends"
True, mostly over political, especially these days.
One lost altogether over politics ... long-term childhood friend who I'd grown apart with over the last 10 or so years, no loss.
Another has taken me off her newsfeed ... a college friend who moved to the Midwest, is a housewife, and is a rabid conservative, so I have nothing in common with her anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM

88 posts, read 228,344 times
I was a Facebook holdout for the longest time then recently succumbed to getting one. More so to solidify that my gf actually had a bf I think

I quickly found out that apparently my so-called dull life is the most interesting one there is. After getting a camera phone, I'll take a picture of my dog along side the wood I just cut. Take some hunting photos, a picture of my fishing spot, some photos of friends at camp, nieces and nephews in the pumpkin patch or simply some on the job photos. I don't brag about my life or the great toys I have.

I have some great friends and I think that is what draws me to their pages also. I like the "porch swing" photo far more than any glitzy out on the town one. No posing photos, just everyday life. Not take a picture of your breakfast bagel stuff, but the you know "Here Dale attempts to saw a tree precariously close to his parked truck."

Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM

571 posts, read 988,448 times
The one thing I like about FB is finding and keeping in touch with people from other countries that I haven't seen in years (and that I otherwise may not have gotten in touch with).

I rarely go on FB anymore, although I haven't deactivated my account yet.

To add to the points other posters have made about braggarts & over-sharers, I have been shocked how people misrepresent themselves. When I coached for my daughter's cheer squad, there was one acquaintance who volunteered as the assistant cheer coach. She was extremely mean to the girls, screaming in their face, making them cry. A few parents asked if I would talk to her because it was hard to enjoy a game when their kid was being treated so poorly. I spoke to her and she denied it all, saying that parents loved her and commended her for her work w/the girls every chance they got. (But the end result was that she did cool it with the girls.)

I also taught at her son's school and saw her slap him across the face one morning (not sure about what). The assistant principle talked to her about it.

She has since moved and I see her updates once in a while on FB. She is teaching in a small town, writes on and on about how she LOVES kids and feels that it is God's calling for her to improve the life of kids, etc.

Quite the opposite of how she really treats kids....

Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 PM

22,576 posts, read 16,721,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Q: What has Facebook taught me about people I know?
A: That people don't change much.
This. Even when they try to pretend that they have.

Oh! And it also taught me that a friend of mine who I have communicated with and kept in touch with over the years but have not seen photos of until FB, got FAT! She used to be so tiny! WTH happened?!?!?! I can't believe the difference.

You know, people knock FB but I will tell you, it helped me find my biological brothers. (I was adopted.) I had decided one day to look up their names on FB...just to see. (I did know their names, luckily.) I picked the oldest brother first and just did a search. I stopped on one I thought maybe, might, could be him. (I hadn't seen him since I was a 4 year old.)

It was him. I could tell by his "friends list" that had relatives that held my bio mom's maiden name.

I was nervous. But I messaged him. Because of that, (he replied, very favorably, I might add), I was able to get in touch with my next older brother and my younger brother, as well.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

So yah, FB is a time sucker and seems silly and lame...but I will forever thank FB for this. Forever.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM

13,675 posts, read 13,493,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Oh! And it also taught me that a friend of mine who I have communicated with and kept in touch with over the years but have not seen photos of until FB, got FAT! She used to be so tiny! WTH happened?!?!?! I can't believe the difference.

You know, people knock FB but I will tell you, it helped me find my biological brothers. (I was adopted.) I had decided one day to look up their names on FB...just to see. (I did know their names, luckily.) I picked the oldest brother first and just did a search. I stopped on one I thought maybe, might, could be him. (I hadn't seen him since I was a 4 year old.)

It was him. I could tell by his "friends list" that had relatives that held my bio mom's maiden name.

I was nervous. But I messaged him. Because of that, (he replied, very favorably, I might add), I was able to get in touch with my next older brother and my younger brother, as well.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

So yah, FB is a time sucker and seems silly and lame...but I will forever thank FB for this. Forever.
One of the people from high school was a guy everyone had assumed was dead at one point. He went off the rails and nobody knew where he was, not even his parents. He's got a good life now. We grew up together, so it's nice to know he didn't totally lose himself and exchange the occasional music tip and whatnot.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM

950 posts, read 1,535,967 times
I am very glad you found your brothers but why were they kept while you were given away ?

I am a sociable person but still holding out on FB.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM

522 posts, read 565,792 times
the less i know about them and vice versa the better off we both are.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:50 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,510,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
My personality hasn't changed much. Timeline posts about travel, cars, aviation, and such, together with photos of landmarks in my native city, which I loved then and love now, and YouTube clips from landmark movies are who I was as a teen and college student.

A few people whose posts are those "feel good" inspirational posters and stuff about their kids because they live in a "different world" are still friends, but I can see I'm not on their news feed or whatever that's called.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 PM

22,576 posts, read 16,721,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
I am very glad you found your brothers but why were they kept while you were given away ?

I am a sociable person but still holding out on FB.
That's a story for another thread, not this one.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,368,347 times
I discovered that I don't want to be friends on Facebook, I'd rather have friends IRL (in real life).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships