U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it easier for girls/women to make friends than boys/men?
Yes, it is 31 40.26%
No, it's equally hard/easy 23 29.87%
No, it's harder 23 29.87%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM

3,845 posts, read 3,954,517 times

Advertisements

Speaking about America, this topic is not up for debate, women make and maintain friends at a much higher rate than men. Up until about age 25, it is somewhat close, but in true adulthood, most American men only keep one or a few real friends, the rest are acquaintances. I honestly beleive homophobia has alot to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM

22,470 posts, read 24,028,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why does everyone simplify male interaction as a bunch of blokes meeting in a bar to talk about sports? Are we really that one-dimensional?

The conversations I have with men are every bit as multi-faceted as those with women. Men share a lot of stuff too with each other, or else I do with my friends.
It's no better than the people who think that all women are seething with jealousy and are one step away from a catfight.

My best friends are women. My sisters are women. We all get along great--loving, supportive, loyal. Does that mean there's never any disagreement? Of course not, but we're friends. The women who say that they can't be around other women because of cattiness and drama are usually bringers of the cattiness and drama themselves.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM

5,901 posts, read 8,377,955 times
Quote:
Why does everyone simplify male interaction as a bunch of blokes meeting in a bar to talk about sports? Are we really that one-dimensional?
Yes

No, actually you are not, but you dont seem to show that with other men (maybe you are an exception), but with women. Thats why a lot of men have girls as their closest friend, they do seem to be able to talk about almost everything and share....but they dont do it with other men for some reason. They do it with their gfs, too. My boyfriend only talks with me about most important stuff, and so do his "closest" friends. But among them they only talk about sports.

Its normal to be having a deep conversation with a men and ask him "have you talked with your guy friends about this?" and he would answer "oh, no, i wouldnt tell them THAT"

Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM

369 posts, read 797,200 times
Yes definitely...

I even noticed how some girls can be so paranoid about guys.. for instance, if a guy asks a female friend out for a meal (just as a friend), she would think he's trying to woo her and so rejected his offer.

On the other hand, if you're a girl, its a different situation altogether.

Also, no matter how close a guy can be with his best female friend, she would probably prioritize spending time with her girlfriends.

Also, it is so so true that guys generally bond over sports and booze.. gays are the only exception though.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM

4,188 posts, read 4,374,351 times
I find it difficult to have guys as very close friends in a new city. I have some best friends from youth but they're all scattered over the place, so I have to try to make new ones. One can't really call up your casual guy friends to have dinner, because in this city, people assume you're asking them out. You can only really meet them incidentally, or at a big group of people, but never in a one on one session, because apparently it makes other heterosexual guys uncomfortable.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:59 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,205,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yes

No, actually you are not, but you dont seem to show that with other men (maybe you are an exception), but with women. Thats why a lot of men have girls as their closest friend, they do seem to be able to talk about almost everything and share....but they dont do it with other men for some reason. They do it with their gfs, too. My boyfriend only talks with me about most important stuff, and so do his "closest" friends. But among them they only talk about sports.

Its normal to be having a deep conversation with a men and ask him "have you talked with your guy friends about this?" and he would answer "oh, no, i wouldnt tell them THAT"
It's funny. Guys can share all their graphic sex stories (true or not) with each other, but when it comes to real emotional things, they become these shy little children. A lot of guys would think it gay to tell their friend 'I love you' in a platonic way which is a real shame.

I always considered in Latin cultures male friends were closer in that respect. So it's not so true in Argentina either?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I find it difficult to have guys as very close friends in a new city. I have some best friends from youth but they're all scattered over the place, so I have to try to make new ones. One can't really call up your casual guy friends to have dinner, because in this city, people assume you're asking them out. You can only really meet them incidentally, or at a big group of people, but never in a one on one session, because apparently it makes other heterosexual guys uncomfortable.
Weird, I have one guy friend I always have dinner with. Nothing gay about it. It's just two friends enjoying good food and each other's company. Where does the 'gay' come into it? I don't mean romantic candlelit dinners, just casual eateries. I see two men eating together all the time, what's the deal with THIS hangup?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
Yes definitely...

I even noticed how some girls can be so paranoid about guys.. for instance, if a guy asks a female friend out for a meal (just as a friend), she would think he's trying to woo her and so rejected his offer.

On the other hand, if you're a girl, its a different situation altogether.

Also, no matter how close a guy can be with his best female friend, she would probably prioritize spending time with her girlfriends.

Also, it is so so true that guys generally bond over sports and booze.. gays are the only exception though.
Maybe it's a cultural difference but men and women hang out all the time here without treating it like a date. Whether they be friends or just met. Relationships here often develop from friendships.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 PM

4,188 posts, read 4,374,351 times
Quote:
Weird, I have one guy friend I always have dinner with. Nothing gay about it. It's just two friends enjoying good food and each other's company. Where does the 'gay' come into it? I don't mean romantic candlelit dinners, just casual eateries. I see two men eating together all the time, what's the deal with THIS hangup?
I don't know. But apparently it makes some of my acquaintances uncomfortable. They never want to hang out to have a pub meal and a drink, but if there's a big meetup group or something with like multiple guys they'll come out of the woodwork. *Shrug*

Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,075,381 times
I think it's easier for them to make "friends" with the opposite sex, but guys know that's all BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships