U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your answer...
Mmm, that was delicious! 14 20.90%
Yeah it was pretty good/not bad 31 46.27%
It was okay 5 7.46%
To be honest I didn't really enjoy it/it's not what i expected 2 2.99%
Yuck! You shouldn't be allowed near a kitchen! 3 4.48%
Try to evade the question/change the topic 4 5.97%
Other (explain) 8 11.94%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,211,334 times

Advertisements

...by somebody. Say a friend but not a super close friend, or just somebody you've met who's a stranger.

The food is pretty horrible, and the host/cook asks, 'so, how did you like the food?'

What is your response likely to be?

One time I had a very very ordinary meal at someone's house, a casual friend you could say. He asked how i liked it, I merely mentioned that, 'it doesn't really taste like carbonara.' My other friend thought it was out of line. Was I tactful for not saying 'yuck?' lol jk. Would anyone say I was being too frank? I'm not one to totally lie, so I thought this was a good balance between honesty and tact. He wasn't thrilled, but do you think my response was appropriate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,890,372 times
I'd go with "pretty good" or "not bad", then never going back to that person's house for dinner again.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,961,756 times
I would have given a more neutral answer, "Yeah it was pretty good/not bad ... thanks for having me over." You might have hurt his feelings with your reply.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,273,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
...by somebody. Say a friend but not a super close friend, or just somebody you've met who's a stranger.

The food is pretty horrible, and the host/cook asks, 'so, how did you like the food?'

What is your response likely to be?

One time I had a very very ordinary meal at someone's house, a casual friend you could say. He asked how i liked it, I merely mentioned that, 'it doesn't really taste like carbonara.' My other friend thought it was out of line. Was I tactful for not saying 'yuck?' lol jk. Would anyone say I was being too frank? I'm not one to totally lie, so I thought this was a good balance between honesty and tact. He wasn't thrilled, but do you think my response was appropriate?
I agree w/ the friend that you were rude. it wouldn't hurt to just say "yeah, it was pretty good". There are some things that don't always require honesty.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,097,468 times
I would say, "it was good, thanks for inviting me for dinner". I wouldn't say pretty good because that, to me is still kind of an insult.

As I tell my 10 year old daughter. If you are at someones house for dinner you eat what is served with a smile and a thank you.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,211,334 times
Maybe being a novice cook myself I always appreciate construction feedback. In his case, it was all wrong, so part of me wanted to let him know so maybe he'd try to improve next time. Maybe I could've suggested something like, 'not bad but could've used more cheese' or something like that, even if that's not 100% honest.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,884,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe being a novice cook myself I always appreciate construction feedback. In his case, it was all wrong, so part of me wanted to let him know so maybe he'd try to improve next time. Maybe I could've suggested something like, 'not bad but could've used more cheese' or something like that, even if that's not 100% honest.

You might try......."Not bad and the last time I made it I used a wee bit more cheese or a different type of cheese" something of that nature. Ask what type of cheese they used or sauce or whatever, then carry on with I'll have to give that a try or Mrs. Furlong down the block told me she uses blah, blah, blah when she makes hers.

That way you are not exactly telling them it was terrible and you are giving the impression that you are sharing tips that you have tried and others have passed along.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 PM

75 posts, read 75,463 times
I'd probably say something like, "It was nice!" just to be polite.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,209,878 times
Currently dealing with this actually -- I'm making friends with this girl who loves to cook...without salt. Oh god, it kills me. Still, I politely thank her for the food and give her light praise.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,628,897 times
I look at it this way, if I didn't have to buy the food,
lug it home, put it away, figure out what I want to do with it,
cook it, serve it, and clean up afterwards, I loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships