U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,386,959 times

Advertisements

I have a huge problem with this because lets say for instance, while my SO and I are out for dinner..... I can easily hear and understand the 5 conversations going on around us, as well as be in our own conversation.

Sometimes it is ok, overtimes I wish I wasn't able to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM

2,755 posts, read 5,306,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The thread 'do you ever watch people' got me thinking:

Do you ever eavesdrop on conversations other passengers are having on transport?

I used to do that sometimes while on the bus...maybe I find it hard to tune out, maybe I was bored. But say, two people sitting in the seat in front of me or something. Sometimes I don't consciously do it, but it's weird when you sort of become a passive 'participant' in someone else's conversation.
Absolutely not..I have my IPOD plugged in most of the time. However, when i don't some people's converations you can't help but hear. All I can say is thank goodness for MP3 players

However, I also think we are in a time that some people in public feel the absolute need to be heard and showcase their lives to the world.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM

3,592 posts, read 4,706,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The thread 'do you ever watch people' got me thinking:

Do you ever eavesdrop on conversations other passengers are having on transport?

I used to do that sometimes while on the bus...maybe I find it hard to tune out, maybe I was bored. But say, two people sitting in the seat in front of me or something. Sometimes I don't consciously do it, but it's weird when you sort of become a passive 'participant' in someone else's conversation.
Yes, I do. In twenty years I would like to be a fully certified old biddy, so I have to get my practice in early. You don't know how hard it is to keep from rolling my eyes at some of the things I heard from fellow bus passengers. But if they're facing you, it's not smart to do that to strangers.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:33 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,670,768 times
I lived next door to a deaf couple and found out she can read lips real well even from the side of your face - at a rather embarassing moment.

I suppose she could overlook (hear) every conversation with anyone and everyone even at a distance.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM

7,496 posts, read 9,712,487 times
I try not to eavesdrop even though it's probably interesting. There are several occasions though when I hear more than I needed to.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 PM

1,846 posts, read 2,729,245 times
LOL! Boy do I…Story of my life…My ADD enables me to listen to multiple conversations at once without wanting too!
It useto be sensory overload until I bought an IPOD and took it with me on trips whether it be by train or airplane…ugggg.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:15 PM

559 posts, read 1,201,707 times
I did this yesterday, but not on transport. I was shopping in a store that sells hair products. There's a salon in a part of the store, and I was eavesdropping on an interesting conversation between a stylist and her customer. The store/salon was quiet except for their conversation, which I could easily hear as I walked around the store.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM

679 posts, read 1,047,363 times
If someone's having a conversation in public, then there's really no expectation of privacy. I have an hour plus commute by bus. I sometimes talk with friends, but try to keep the more private stuff out of the conversation or at a very low volume. Sometimes you overhear weird stuff that just reminds you of the Lewis Black routine about the horse and college overheard at IHOP. This one woman was loudly asking the person who had the misfortune to be on the other end if he or she was grilling a hot dog for her. The person was grilling while on the phone with her. The thing was we still had at least 40 plus minutes of commute left. Who wants a hot dog that's been grilled for 40 minutes?

And then there were 2 guys who'd talk like pirates to liven up the commute. They were kind of entertaining in an odd way

Old 10-06-2012, 04:30 PM

30,509 posts, read 33,316,873 times
I do it all the time because I have no choice. My brain just zeros in on whoever I can hear speaking whether I want it to or not. I also repeat interesting things I hear to other people just so you all know..watch what you say.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM

3,662 posts, read 7,507,145 times
Yes, its hard to avoid, I think people on cell phones WANT others to hear, because they talk so loud its like they're trying to be heard by everyone..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or