U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,790,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Yes, its hard to avoid, I think people on cell phones WANT others to hear, because they talk so loud its like they're trying to be heard by everyone..
agree,

Rude and impolite,imo. In some regions people seem to think being loud is a cool form of drama. pretty weird and classless if you are over age 18.

On planes, no, I want a book or to be left alone.

On the subway?, that can be unsafe at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,083,028 times
I was in DC a few years ago and I was waiting in line at a busy concession stand and I was a few people behind two women that were blah, blah blahing about some juicy scandal brewing at work. They were making no attempt to keep it to themselves yakking about the gory details and likely fallout so that people yards away couldn't avoid hearing. So the guy in line right behind them piped up and said, "Where do you guys work anyway?" Both turned and shot daggers at him with their eyes and one said icily, "That's classified." They turned and were quiet for the rest of their wait. I'm like, seriously? Classified and practically shouting the details out among strangers. Clueless and completely unaware of their surroundings. Deserved to be overheard.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 PM

2,681 posts, read 6,274,166 times
Wink absolutely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The thread 'do you ever watch people' got me thinking:

Do you ever eavesdrop on conversations other passengers are having on transport?

I used to do that sometimes while on the bus...maybe I find it hard to tune out, maybe I was bored. But say, two people sitting in the seat in front of me or something. Sometimes I don't consciously do it, but it's weird when you sort of become a passive 'participant' in someone else's conversation.
It's alot more entertaining than any book I've ever read...
K

Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,664,940 times
Sometimes people talk too darn loud and I can't help but eavesdrop.

Air pollution tidbits I've heard:

"I found me a sugar daddy! He's 65, I'm 31."
"You _______ (insert lots of expletives), you cheated on me and omg, you want me to take you back!"
"She is the most two-faced person I know."

Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,565,977 times
I'm very emphatatic. I liked taking the bus since people who take the bus know they'll be a wait and aren't anxious, mad or impatient about it. I would talk to my seat mate or someone at the stop, but lots of times just hunkered down with the backpack in my lap and listened.

Its like there is a human carpet out there. I 'feel' people too, and still remember the man who looked very nicely dressed except for the shoes, which were worn. He had this curious mix of hope and resignation. But I open up myself in a comfortable place and just 'listen' and listen. You get a sense of who people are and sometimes you'd just love to speak to them. But its private.

The worse was waiting for a bus. This woman had about an eight year old son. She just looked lost and sad, but he kept hitting her and she didn't react. But I had to get away from her. There was literally this blackness around her. She seemed faded into it. I've been told this is a death warning, but I couldn't stand to be that close.

People should try to listen to what they can hear, I think rather than just tuning it out with music or stuff. It makes you feel like a part of life.

Reading now, with a really interesting book, I sort of automatically shut everything else out. Including my stop. So I don't oven read in such cases....

Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,703,335 times
One time I did on the bus and it turned into a hilarious experience. It was really crowed because everyone was headed to an outdoor music festival. A young woman picked up her cell phone, and the caller said happy b-day. She said "my b-day isn't for a few weeks."

We (as in the people I was with) decided to egg on the other bus passengers and organize an impromptu serenade of happy b-day. We had about 15 people singing along.

As wise "older" women, we told her she should milk her fake b-day for discounts during the festival.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM

15,786 posts, read 9,538,128 times
I totally listen to conversations around me. One sided cell phone conversations almost always irritate me but person-to-person conversations can be interesting. So many people are loud talkers these days - maybe because of cell phones and ear buds? Anyway, a lot of times you couldn't even consider it eavesdropping when they're talking so loud in the first place.

Plenty of times I've even interjected with my own opinion - just like in an internet chat room. As far as I can recall, I've never been rebuffed. I'm a pretty good read of people so I probably choose wisely

Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,703,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I totally listen to conversations around me. One sided cell phone conversations almost always irritate me but person-to-person conversations can be interesting. So many people are loud talkers these days - maybe because of cell phones and ear buds? Anyway, a lot of times you couldn't even consider it eavesdropping when they're talking so loud in the first place.

Plenty of times I've even interjected with my own opinion - just like in an internet chat room. As far as I can recall, I've never been rebuffed. I'm a pretty good read of people so I probably choose wisely
I do this too.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or