U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,722,901 times

Advertisements

You can hide them. Slide your mouse next to their name, an arrow will show up, click on it, and go down to unsubscribe or hide (not sure which one works best) and click it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 02:04 PM

9,228 posts, read 18,871,815 times
I have a cousin, who I love, but who posts 20-30 times a day (not exaggerating!) about Susan G Komen events and breast cancer. Almost every day, my entire home page/ news feed is just her posts. What I do is choose to hide her posts, look at everyone else's, then I unhide hers. I could choose to ignore all her posts, but I worry that in the middle of her 30 posts on walkathons and requests to pray for some stranger with cancer, she'll actually post something important about a family member and I'll miss it. I also fear that there is some app that she or others will have, to show them that I've chosen to hide all their posts, and I don't want the interpersonal drama that would ensue. So just hide and then unhide. If I didn't do this, I would miss so many good/relevant posts by people I do want to hear from, but who don't post with such volume.

I don't "get" how self-involved a person would have to be to post so many times per day, knowing that they are filling people's newsfeeds, and believing that people want to hear from them so much. When I post, I know that people can ignore me if they want, but I still worry about being intrusive, and I always ask myself before posting, is this about MY need, or about others really benefiting from what I post? I mostly post some funny comment or joke about some current event, and many people copy it, steal it, or post to me how funny it is and how they wish I would post more often. But no, I'd rather go for quality over quantity. Even my sense of humor would get quite old if I posted every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships