U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 PM

1,317 posts, read 3,082,452 times

Advertisements

I've enjoyed re-aquainting myself with friends I no longer see on Facebook, and truly want to hear what's going on in their lives, BUT...

i have a friend who thinks FB is her own news station, constantly posting about something that she's interested in. doesnt work and all day its on FB.... I"m not exaggerating, today so far, 42 posts..... she's killing me. when i look at my notifications its all her...

the other friend tragically lost a son back in the spring, freak accident. I am so deeply sorry for her, BUT all her posts are about mothers who've lost a child, families who've lost someone... very depressing. I want to support her, but it's to the point that I want to unfriend her.

Am I being mean,? is there a way to stay friends but not see their posts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 PM

13,010 posts, read 12,445,977 times
You can hide posts from individual posters, but still remain friends. If you go to the tab next to a post (the downward pointing arrow head that appears when you mouse over a post) and "Hide" it - options then show up for further hiding all the posts from that poster.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 PM

2,682 posts, read 3,883,065 times
I have 'hidden all posts' from a few FB friends and it has been great!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,889,678 times
I hide posts from some people. Try it, you'll like it

Old 10-03-2012, 10:29 PM

24,469 posts, read 28,737,691 times
Yes, I hide people who post too much. You can even limit the posts to "all" "most" or "only important." I've done that so I'll see if anything earth shattering happens, but I don't have to read every last thing they eat and every TV show they watch. 40+ posts in 1 day? Wow, that's really bad.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 AM

6,056 posts, read 7,958,521 times
Oh yes, I love the hide feature! I feel sad for your friend, but some people post way too many personal things on there. I have an online journal I use when I need to vent or throw myself a pity party, and no one else has to be bummed out by it.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 AM

839 posts, read 958,501 times
I still can't figure out how to hide all posts!!! It's like my facebook won't let me on my phone (I rarely go on facebook on my computer).

Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 AM

12,064 posts, read 27,212,345 times
On mobile, when you're on their page, click on the button that says Friends and at the bottom is a "show in news feed" check box.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
I fixed all that mess forever, I deactivated my facebook account and my husband's facebook account. If you still want to keep yours though you can hide all but important notices. I don't remember exactly what it says but it is something similiar to that.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,489,422 times
I have hid a few people. They were filling up my wall and I had to scroll several pages to actually read something of interest by someone else. The one friend lost over a 100 lbs. Quite an accomplishment that I wont discount but its been a year now and her status is always about her work out routine, what she is eating, what other people should be eating and CONSTANT pictures of herself posing in various way to show off how much weight she has lost. Its like she needs constant reassurance of how great she looks.

The other friend is someone I didnt really know that well. She is also from HS and has the worst writing skills I have ever seen. Its always a huge paragraph with no periods or spaces. Everything is misspelled to the point where its almost a puzzle of what she is trying to say. It can be painful to read. I'm not one to bash another person's writing skills but...wow. Its long drawn out adventures of her going to the store and forgetting where she parked her car and so on. The third person is the bragger. He was always a showboat type. Always going on vacation and takes the same photo with the same pose. Its almost like he photoshopped himself in various places but I know the photos are real, just so predictable every single time.

Anyway...putting people on hide is pretty effective if you dont want to delete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships