Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times

Advertisements

Say F.I.N.E and if you aren't really, use it as an acronym.
F'd up, Insecure, Neurotic & Exasperated

Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Resources Expert View Post
What happened to "good morning," "good afternoon," or a simple hello? Everywhere I go in public the canned greeting is "how are you?" Of course the standard response is fine or great. But how many of us are fine or great all the time? Most of us are frustrated, angry, scared and irritated.

So when I am asked "how are you?" I decided to be different and reply: "Not so good" or angry, frustrated, scared or irritated. Only once in a while will the person at the store or service provider get the joke and respond to my comments or express their interest or concern. Usually they look at me funny and write me off as a nut. (They are problem right!) Then when they don't respond nicely I ask them why they asked me how I was if they really don't want to know. that gets them even more irratated and they have that look that says, I" sure hope this crazy man goes away soon!"

Anyone else tired of people always saying "how are you?" and not really being curious?
It's not that serious.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:14 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
I don't get why it's offensive..I know someone who gets all riled up when he says "thank you" and someone replies "no problem". It's really no big deal IMO...who really cares? I think it's nice when someone greets me. I'd rather have that then silence. But that's just me..

Old 10-06-2012, 09:20 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:

Anyone else tired of people always saying "how are you?" and not really being curious?
It used to irritate me, and my usual response was, "Hi." Often they'd then say, "Good," which shows they were on auto-pilot and not listening anyway.

It doesn't bother me at all now. I think what cured me was spending five years in NC where the question was, "You doin' okay?" I felt like I was in the hospital surrounded by nurses. Now I'm back on the West Coast and "How are you?" sounds pretty good.

Or maybe I've just grown up.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:00 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
I don't get why it's offensive..I know someone who gets all riled up when he says "thank you" and someone replies "no problem". It's really no big deal IMO...who really cares? I think it's nice when someone greets me. I'd rather have that then silence. But that's just me..
LOL, when I realized "no problem" riled some people, I started using it more as a kind of gauge. The people who it irritates likely aren't worth my time, ya know?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
The "no problem" thing doesn't bother me.

I actually got yelled at by a customer the other day. First time ever in my many years of working with the public. I was shocked, to say the least, but kept my cool and didn't react much. I was really busy, had people lined up at my register and was trying to get them all through as fast as I could. I know how antsy people get having to stand in line! I say "Hi, how are you?" to every.single.person who comes through my line. Sometimes I think they may not hear me and some blantantly ignore it so I didn't think much of it when this lady didn't say anything. I just went on to scan and bag her stuff for her. I saw her counting out her money so didn't bother telling her how much it was...she had obviously looked at the screen and counted out $60.36. Well, the bill was $63.36 so I told her she needed another $3. She came UNGLUED on me! Told me it was MY job to tell her how much it was and NOT her job to look at the screen. Okay, but I knew she DID or she wouldn't have known the exact change to count out. THEN she gets in my face about not talking to her! I was kinda flummoxed at this point so I just handed her the receipt and told her to have a good day. Then she says she wants to talk to my manager so I pointed her the way to go. She also said I was rude when I mentioned the $3, which I wasn't. So, a few minutes later my manager comes down to see what's going on and I told her what happened. The other customers were just as flummoxed as I was and told me not to worry about it, she obviously had something going on and 'looking for something to complain about'. My manager said she couldn't believe it was ME this woman was talking about and just laughed it off. NOT in front of the customer though.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
What happened to "good morning," "good afternoon," or a simple hello? Everywhere I go in public the canned greeting is "how are you?" Of course the standard response is fine or great. But how many of us are fine or great all the time? Most of us are frustrated, angry, scared and irritated.

So when I am asked "how are you?" I decided to be different and reply: "Not so good" or angry, frustrated, scared or irritated. Only once in a while will the person at the store or service provider get the joke and respond to my comments or express their interest or concern. Usually they look at me funny and write me off as a nut. (They are problem right!) Then when they don't respond nicely I ask them why they asked me how I was if they really don't want to know. that gets them even more irratated and they have that look that says, I" sure hope this crazy man goes away soon!"

Pettiest thing I've read all week. Do you really worry this much over a harmless pleasantry?

Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
I get that everywhere too, my response is usually, do you really care or is that part of your script?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,543,680 times
The fact that someone actually takes the time to ask anything about you, when they really don't have to, is an annoyance? Sounds like someone could use a little sip of sunshine.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM

30 posts, read 58,450 times
LOL, I know that the folks at the cash registers are asking because they have been told to.
I often respond with "Fine, but how are you?!"
WHOA. Stop the presses, they look up and suddenly I'm a real person. A polite person, who if asked, will respond in kind.
As a result, I know my cashiers and service people very well.

For instance: today at the counter in the supermarket I was a little irritated that the frying station was not going to make any more chicken after 7pm. There were only wings and drumsticks.
Did I get sour with the server? NO. I hemmed, I hawed for a moment, and finally I accepted what he had with a cheerful attitude.
Know what? He gave me two extra pieces for being such a good sport.

I often get that - like extra special service at my local Chinese restaurant, because I spoke kindly to the owner one day.
Or the Greek Diner, because I complemented their mushroom soup once - when I stopped by later one day on the way home, the owner gave me a present: Two giant tubs of their mushroom soup for free, because he knew that I liked it.

On a bad day, I say rather sarcastically, "JUST PEACHY!" And watch them laugh. And that makes me laugh. That's good.

Last edited by DarlingGirl; 10-06-2012 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships