Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM

433 posts, read 1,370,038 times

Advertisements

Crap happened last night. This "friend"...(I dunno if I can really call him that anymore or if he was just always trying to use me and screw me over) and I went to a club last night with his cousin and we got really drunk. I was also very drunk but very able to control myself and remember important details well. Before I got drunk, I remember very clearly 110% that I gave him $140 which was my share for the large bottle of Jack Daniels. We got our drink and started drinking. Aren't we supposed to pay for it fully first and then our drink??? I even saw the bartender give him the bill and seeing him pay.

What happened later in the night was, maybe it's because I'm so inexperienced with getting drunk or clubbing, he decided to tell me that there was $30 missing from my share. Was he trying to take advantage of my drunkness and get more money out of me or what??? He tried to pull from behind so we can fight or something, or make me pay..it wasn't really hard I think he was just trying to scare me. The bartender even told me there was $30 missing and when I asked her how much was in his share, she pretty much said she didn't care how much was in who's share. She just care that there was $30 missing. I dunno if she was taking advantage of my drunkness too. My "buddy" and his cousin pretty much left before I had asked her, cuz he was mad at me that I wouldn't pay.

I ended up leaving easily on my own, finding a taxi and everything all while drunk. I didn't even end up paying what I didn't believe I owed. What do you guys think of this situation? Was he trying to use me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 12:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Hard to say what goes through the minds of a bunch of intoxicated party go'ers....you were all drunk, so who's to say who was right or wrong?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
Crap happened last night. This "friend"...(I dunno if I can really call him that anymore or if he was just always trying to use me and screw me over) and I went to a club last night with his cousin and we got really drunk. I was also very drunk but very able to control myself and remember important details well. Before I got drunk, I remember very clearly 110% that I gave him $140 which was my share for the large bottle of Jack Daniels. We got our drink and started drinking. Aren't we supposed to pay for it fully first and then our drink??? I even saw the bartender give him the bill and seeing him pay.

What happened later in the night was, maybe it's because I'm so inexperienced with getting drunk or clubbing, he decided to tell me that there was $30 missing from my share. Was he trying to take advantage of my drunkness and get more money out of me or what??? He tried to pull from behind so we can fight or something, or make me pay..it wasn't really hard I think he was just trying to scare me. The bartender even told me there was $30 missing and when I asked her how much was in his share, she pretty much said she didn't care how much was in who's share. She just care that there was $30 missing. I dunno if she was taking advantage of my drunkness too. My "buddy" and his cousin pretty much left before I had asked her, cuz he was mad at me that I wouldn't pay.

I ended up leaving easily on my own, finding a taxi and everything all while drunk. I didn't even end up paying what I didn't believe I owed. What do you guys think of this situation? Was he trying to use me??
Multi-part suggestion:

1) Don't drink so much.
2) Hang with a better class of friends.
3) Remember that, when everybody is drunk, nobody remembers what happened to the money.
4) Never trust a bartender to give you correct change.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,525 times
It could have been he either miscalculated because he was drinking or misplaced the money because he was drunk and didn't realize it. Which still doesn't make it right, but in his mind, he may have thought you didn't pay the correct amount.

As for the bartender, she's just dealing with the total bill so I can see her reaction. I worked as a waitress in a bar for awhile. Unless someone asks for separate tabs, people who work at a bar don't know or care who owes what, they just have to ensure the tab is paid. And it's really not their business or their job to keep track of what the customers owe each other for a shared tab. It's hard enough making sure everyone is served promptly and their orders are correct on a busy night.

I would wait and see if he apologizes for accusing you of not paying your fair share. If he doesn't, do you need to see him again (classes, work or mutual friends)? If yes, then I'd let him know you didn't appreciate being accused of not paying your fair share. If no, you can either confront him or just drop him as a friend, it's up to you.

Even if he does apologize, I'd watch the behavior going forward. I'd suggest non-alcoholic activities like movies or activities where alcohol is less of a factor, such as dinner. If he behaves well, then maybe another bar or nightclub trip, but I'd stay away from places with table/bottle service and stick to places with a regular bar. You can run separate tabs or take turns buying rounds.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
So you ran out on the tab because you didn't feel like you owed it?

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Multi-part suggestion:

1) Don't drink so much.
2) Hang with a better class of friends.
3) Remember that, when everybody is drunk, nobody remembers what happened to the money.
4) Never trust a bartender to give you correct change.
Best answer. One of the symptoms of having too much on a night out is a mush lighter wallet then expected. I might suggest an envelope with a budget of what you can expect to spend. That's your cash for the night. That runs out-Nights over. Have a separate trans fund to get home if applicable. Because "one More" on a night out esp when young does not mean that. Be safe.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,472 times
$140 for a bottle of Jack Daniels??? Are you joking?
I'm not sure how old you are but I'm guessing fairly young so take this however you'd like....
Don't spend too much time clubbing and drinking. It is a road that leads nowhere, and fast. Forget about the money, forgive your friend and carry on with a life well lived.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:56 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,171 times
I have been where you are now. I think you just have to take this as a learning experience, never party with these guys again.

And let it go about the money. Everyone being drunk it would be hard to find out what really happened.

Use this experience as a learning tool. Know your limits and only bring the money you will need. Pay for yourself and let others pay for themselves.

Everything is going to be ok.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:37 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Maybe I'm stupid, but I still don't understand what happened, except that you and your buddies skipped out on paying the full bill. Of course, i think I'm still ok with being my kinda stupid, simply because I'd never actually pony up $140 for PART of a bottle of booze.

Is it too much to hope that you might use this incident, however insignificant, to re-evaluate your priorities?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Here's my advice -- if you have the kind of money that $140 is nothing, and you can afford a taxi, then what's $30 more? Do you really want to risk loing your drinking buddies over a mere $30?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships