U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,622,351 times

Advertisements

Christmas...kids going with their Dad on a cruise to Key West. Thanksgiving, too expensive for them to come. My BF will be gone Christmas, Thanksgiving, and New Years....so....just me and Jasper. I am fine with being alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,093,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
.....So anyone else like me saying " the holidays"?
Thankfully, no.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 AM

43,441 posts, read 52,446,512 times
OMG.
I LOVE the holidays.
I am not even christian.
But I love the food, the thanksgiving dinner, giving presents to people, the cold weather, the football, the tv shows, the merriment, the decorations, etc, etc, etc.

My wife and I aren't going to do any more presents because we don't need anything. We do have a little boy who can get presents, though!!!!!
And January means a birthday trip to the BVIs...

Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 AM

43,441 posts, read 52,446,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Nope we dont plan on celebrating anything this year no thanksgiving and not christmas either . my husband and I both hate the holidays and so do my kids and their spouses hate it too . My one S. I. Law and my daughter tell everyone nope just another day and there is never anything to do so we skip it .. no special meal no nothing because everyone is away doing something else .... I guess Im glad that most of my kids dont have kids so they cant ruin christmas for them . My son tells me over he is never having kids cause he does not want to put his anger christmas on his kids .. my kids never had much of a christmas because we never had the money . And lets all face it christmas is money and every year everything goes sky high because the retailers have made it like that .

Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,393,537 times
Agreed, that there is too much emphasis on the holidays and what not but I still don't hate them. Holidays are a time to see family and friends that you seldom see, plus those special dinners (that you can have any time of the year) are just fun. It's one of the few times that families actually eat as a family these days. You don't have to buy for EVERYONE during these times, but your intermediate. Decorating can be fun even if it's just putting a wreath on the door. It's also a time for me to see my favorite holiday cartoons

Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM

600 posts, read 888,076 times
We live far away from our friends and family, and I object to paying the inflated travel prices involved with holiday travel. So, no holiday celebrations for us this year.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,870,662 times
Thanksgiving stopped being a big deal to me a while ago. My brothers tend to go to their in laws, my parents celebrate by themselves, and I was usually by myself or with friends who offered to have me over. A few times I celebrated with my parents and cooked dinner for them.

Christmas I wish I could avoid like the plague but I have no choice in the matter. I have 5 nieces and nephews and another niece on the way next month. Christmas is more for the kids than anything else, so I don't mind getting them gifts. My brothers and my parents are next to impossible to get gifts for, because my family is the kind if we want something we just get it ourselves. So started the giving each other gift cards ritual which now makes no sense to me. Why am I giving my brother a $75 Amazon gift card only to get the same thing in return from him? It seems pointless.

By the way, I feel the same way about Valentine's Day. It's another commercialized holiday that makes people forget the true meaning behind it. And when you love someone, you should show them every day, not one day out of the year.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:55 PM

23,578 posts, read 33,312,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
OMG.
I LOVE the holidays.
I am not even christian.
But I love the food, the thanksgiving dinner, giving presents to people, the cold weather, the football, the tv shows, the merriment, the decorations, etc, etc, etc.

My wife and I aren't going to do any more presents because we don't need anything. We do have a little boy who can get presents, though!!!!!
And January means a birthday trip to the BVIs...
Just what I did NOT want in this thread.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,522,824 times
I like Thanksgiving for the hearty meal.
I do not like how LONG the Christmas shopping season is and we all write each other checks or gift certificates anyway.
On New Year's, there are too many drunks and idiots out there.

Bottom line: I only like the dinners and the amount of baked goods received is not good for one's health.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,870,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I like Thanksgiving for the hearty meal.
I do not like how LONG the Christmas shopping season is and we all write each other checks or gift certificates anyway.
On New Year's, there are too many drunks and idiots out there.

Bottom line: I only like the dinners and the amount of baked goods received is not good for one's health.
Yes! New Years is another one, or amateur night as we call it. It's twice as bad for the poor BF because he works in Times Square. Then God forbid you want to get away from the craziness, the hotels are charging through the nose in rates for that night.

One of the better times I had on New Years was going to a friends house in PA because it was an escape from all of the drunken idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships