U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times

Advertisements

This recently revived thread about closeness and estrangement with siblings has been interesting. There is a fairly recent thread in the Retiremenet Forum entitled "Retirees who are estranged from their adult children". So the subject matter is a bit different - parents and children as opposed to siblings and other siblings - but the commonality is family dynamics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 01:02 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,767,658 times
I have 3 siblings. We don't talk much; but we're cordial.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 AM

36 posts, read 95,499 times
I have a brother and sister and we're all extremely close. My brother is 18 months younger then me and my sister eight years. I think we have a unique sense of humor that binds us pretty well. I see some my age that are very formal with their siblings and it's strange to me. Even though we're all in our twenties, we still say crazy jokes to each other and horse around. I know both my brother and I feel like we are the only ones in the world who 'get' each other.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 AM

5,957 posts, read 5,309,871 times
I think this is a thread where you will get different answers from different age groups. It is like when you see young people say how well they get along with their cousins when most of us know you won't even see those people that much in 35 years.

I get along great with my sisters. We got along as children and we get along in our late 50's and 60's. But for about 25 years we had our own lives and there just wasn't room for a close relationship in those years. We still saw each other and talked, but not as often as now. I think the illness and eventual death of parents, which usually comes when you are middle aged, brings siblings closer. At middle age you have more time for these things. I think it also helps that people my age had traditional families. No ex's, halfs, or steps involved.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 AM

7,385 posts, read 11,563,104 times
I think it's a damn shame that people don't get along with their siblings and even parents.

I can lean on the above for anything and they can trust me to give them anything. Me and sis don't talk as much as I'd like, and I won't be the first person she calls when she has a problem, but we are tight. And we like each other.

When it all comes down to the nitty gritty, there is very little loyalty amongst friends, and your spouse/SO will probably be gone from your life when/if you split.

So, family is really the only sure thing you have.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM

9,048 posts, read 14,327,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I'm just wondering if I am in the minority here.

I have 3 siblings - 1 older brother, 1 older sister and 1 younger brother.

I "get along" with them but for the most part, I am not close to any of them. My older brother and I barely speek unless we have to.

My sister is very different from me. She doesn't "get" me and constantly puts be down. Although, she doesn't put me down so much now b/c I hardly speak to her. If she does put me down, sometimes it's passive agressive and I don't realize it until later that evening when I'm home alone.

My younger brother's wife is very secretive so he can't say much to me or else his wife will get mad at him.

My point is, i hear of people who love their brothers and sisters and are so close, but I don't feel like that at all.

These are people who if they weren't related to me, I probably wouldn't be friends with them.

Am I alone in this? Are you close to your brothers/sisters?

Especially if you're a female, are you close to your sister?

If you're a male are you close to your brothers?
It's a shame, but you can find people in life that can make up for that. I've learned that family doesn't have to mean matching DNA.

I have an older half brother that I should work on being closer to. We are not in touch that much, for no bad reason, that's just the way it has always been. We love each other very much.

I have 3 siblings with my mom. 2 of them mean the world to me; I would give my life for them. I no longer speak to the 3rd. My life is so much better without her in it.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 PM

10 posts, read 13,392 times
I have 2 sisters, one 5 years younger than me and the other is 7 years younger than me. They are my best friends and couldn't imagine life without them. I am 34 and have been close to them our whole life. We unexpectedly lost my Mom a year and a half ago and we are even closer now.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:01 PM

6,635 posts, read 4,602,223 times
I see my brother at holidays and whenever it can't be avoided. I have nothing in common with him and his wife (my SIL) is a nightmare. They have taken advantage of my mother time and again and to me that's unforgivable. I'm sure when she's gone, they will not be on my list of people with whom I spend time.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM

777 posts, read 839,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think it's a damn shame that people don't get along with their siblings and even parents.

I can lean on the above for anything and they can trust me to give them anything. Me and sis don't talk as much as I'd like, and I won't be the first person she calls when she has a problem, but we are tight. And we like each other.

When it all comes down to the nitty gritty, there is very little loyalty amongst friends, and your spouse/SO will probably be gone from your life when/if you split.

So, family is really the only sure thing you have.

Not true. With some family, there is very little loyalty. And you can have siblings who will be gone from your life. And not all spouses become estranged. Even if you split, you may have kids in common. So that's a strong bond. Many exes can be friends, if for nothing else, due to having kids in common. However, there are lots of estranged siblings/parents.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM

236 posts, read 359,077 times
I'm the oldest of three siblings we may fight and bicker between ourselves. but we are very close and come to the defense of each other quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or