Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:48 PM

867 posts, read 1,587,604 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if I am in the minority here.

I have 3 siblings - 1 older brother, 1 older sister and 1 younger brother.

I "get along" with them but for the most part, I am not close to any of them. My older brother and I barely speek unless we have to.

My sister is very different from me. She doesn't "get" me and constantly puts be down. Although, she doesn't put me down so much now b/c I hardly speak to her. If she does put me down, sometimes it's passive agressive and I don't realize it until later that evening when I'm home alone.

My younger brother's wife is very secretive so he can't say much to me or else his wife will get mad at him.

My point is, i hear of people who love their brothers and sisters and are so close, but I don't feel like that at all.

These are people who if they weren't related to me, I probably wouldn't be friends with them.

Am I alone in this? Are you close to your brothers/sisters?

Especially if you're a female, are you close to your sister?

If you're a male are you close to your brothers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
My brother, we are 11 years apart, good friends and we enjoy each others company.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
I grew up with all brothers and can assuredly say my sister in law married to my elder brother and I are close and friends.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:38 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
We have the same make up of your family but we are all very close.

We moved a lot growing up so when we'd get to a new town, we only knew each other.

As adults it hasn't always been easy as we've struggled to find out who we are...but we all know that if one needs the other, we will all be there.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I have 1 sister and 2 brothers. None of us live close to each other, so we rely on the phone to keep in touch. I could count on one hand the amount of times I talk with each of them in a year. It isn't because I don't love them or we don't get along. They are my siblings and I love them because of that, but if they were not related to me I probably would not be friends with them. My sister and I have never been really close. I have wanted to be close to her my whole life, but she is very different from me and that just isn't going to happen.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I have one little brother (2 years younger) and he is one of my best friends.

My wife has 2 sisters and a brother and she is really close to the older sister that is basically the same age, less close with the brother (but still close - he is a couple years younger), and then not close at all with the youngest sister (many years younger).

Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I've always felt like the odd one out in my family, like I never belonged. My family can sometimes feel oppressively serious: actually except maybe my middle sister (I have 2 younger ones). I do love them, of course, but we're pretty different and in real life we probably wouldn't sort of gravitate to one another I don't think. My youngest sister is a bit moody as well. For awhile my two sisters were very close and I was almost a bit resentful/jealous of that, more the fact that I had no friends and I just felt left out of everything. But I don't really care as much about that anymore.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,151,143 times
My brother (11 years older than I) is probably the only person other than my mother that i'd phone up to just chat.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I'm just wondering if I am in the minority here.
I have 3 siblings - 1 older brother, 1 older sister and 1 younger brother.
I "get along" with them but for the most part, I am not close to any of them. My older brother and I barely speek unless we have to.
My sister is very different from me. She doesn't "get" me and constantly puts be down. Although, she doesn't put me down so much now b/c I hardly speak to her. If she does put me down, sometimes it's passive agressive and I don't realize it until later that evening when I'm home alone.
My younger brother's wife is very secretive so he can't say much to me or else his wife will get mad at him.
My point is, i hear of people who love their brothers and sisters and are so close, but I don't feel like that at all. These are people who if they weren't related to me, I probably wouldn't be friends with them.
Am I alone in this? Are you close to your brothers/sisters?
Especially if you're a female, are you close to your sister?
If you're a male are you close to your brothers?
I am one of 5 children...all girls and in the "pecking order" I am in second place. No, I do not consider any of my sisters my closest friends. With all of the siblings in my family being female, there has always been tons of competition and still at age 64 almost 65, it hasn't stopped. I haven't seen the oldest sister for probably 4 years, the one below me probably for 5 years, then the 3rd one just moved out of town to a fairly well to do area (she can barely afford it) and all I hear from her is on Facebook or texting occasionally and my youngest sister lives a 5 minute walk from here and we are going on 3 years not seeing one another. Why?? I don't know. I have called them, invited them over..never hear back and I have given up trying.

About 4 years ago, I had serious upper thoracic surgery for an aortic aneurysm..very dangerous and I had to make sure they all knew because this condition is hereditary so I called them. They were all on the phone with me constantly, three of the four came to the hospital the day of surgery. There were no guarantees I was going to be coming out of the surgery ok...scarey stuff. Anyhow..not ONE of them came to help my husband with my after care, nor did my son and his wife show up. It was "head for the hills"...his family was no better.

I don't know what is wrong with family sometimes. My husbands Mom and his youngest sister who lives with her have not set foot in our home for 10 years or better. No one seems to want to bother with us and we can't figure out why.

We do live well, have a beautiful home and I have not had to work since I married my much younger husband. People can assume anything they want about us and about me but look at that word "ASSUME" That's right..when people assume they just make an ASS out of U and ME..right?

So...we gave up...got us a Pit Bull and adopted two kitties...I think everyone is more afraid of the two kitties than the Pit..LOL...life goes on!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 AM

867 posts, read 1,587,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've always felt like the odd one out in my family, like I never belonged. My family can sometimes feel oppressively serious: actually except maybe my middle sister (I have 2 younger ones). I do love them, of course, but we're pretty different and in real life we probably wouldn't sort of gravitate to one another I don't think. My youngest sister is a bit moody as well. For awhile my two sisters were very close and I was almost a bit resentful/jealous of that, more the fact that I had no friends and I just felt left out of everything. But I don't really care as much about that anymore.

I feel just like you...the odd one out in the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships