Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 01:25 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times

Advertisements

I would say this is a relationship-type of question here.

I've worked at a few places where just some people go to work, and go home to their families. Others, they want to hit a place to eat after work. I guess for some, your social life is their co-workers. But this may be typical in more smaller communities.

I read a few articles online where some prefer to keep their work place life separate from their outside-of-work friends. Some don't like the idea of bonding with their co-workers....even when the boss calls for it, when they do a pow-wow fun meeting to "tell a little bit about yourselves(ourselves)."

I worked at a place for a year where some co-workers have developed close bonds with each other over time. Some become REAL friends. If you find you have something in common, even better. I think some even hooked their friends up with a job there when there was an opening available. So some already knew each other prior to working there.

Recently, a guy was trying to get some people to hang out after work to do some bowling or whatever. A small amount did go, while others had things to do.

Shoot, some guy at work hosted a personal Halloween party with his co-workers at his place. I even had co-worker lady get a little frisky with me on the dance floor.

Not sure whether or not this would create a conflict of interest or whatever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 02:30 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Depends on your definition of "socialize". I certainly did have casual friendships with co-workers many times, got together with co-workers numerous times. IME, the "culture" is different from workplace to workplace. I usually worked in very small communities. To try not to socialize with colleagues in those tiny towns would have been unrealistic. You would meet up with those same people outside work for multiple reasons. Civic projects, pot lucks, community holidays, public meetings, mutual friend weddings, birthdays, retirements, just being in the same locations at the same times during off hours. Can't recall a time when anything about those friendships would have created a conflict of interest. We were discriminating, responsible adults after all. If someone had tried to take unfair advantage of me due to our workplace relationship I wouldn't have tolerated it.

As for romantic socializing...everyone should know this way there be dragons.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I had to learn this lesson the hard way but I will not socialize with my coworkers outside of my office. Covid in one way was a Godsend for me since it caused my position to be 100% remote so I don’t even have to be bothered with the team building events and happy hours BS.

I want my coworkers to know VERY little about me outside my job. My personal life was used against me on multiple occasions in prior jobs and I will not give my coworkers any ammo to use against me.

Old 05-01-2021, 05:59 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I had to learn this lesson the hard way but I will not socialize with my coworkers outside of my office. Covid in one way was a Godsend for me since it caused my position to be 100% remote so I don’t even have to be bothered with the team building events and happy hours BS.

I want my coworkers to know VERY little about me outside my job. My personal life was used against me on multiple occasions in prior jobs and I will not give my coworkers any ammo to use against me.
What do you do in your free time that can be used against you? Are you in a cult, eating cats?

Old 05-01-2021, 06:11 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Depends. I would go to lunch together, but not much more. I separate work from private life, because I despise cliques and gossip at workplace.
https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...-policies.aspx

Old 05-01-2021, 06:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Yes… we had a ski team, a co-ed softball team, and beach volleyball team. A lot of people had work wives and husbands and there were a lot of couples who’d gotten together at work. We spent more time with our co-workers than we did with our families so yes we’d socialize together.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:04 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,477 times
You will probably get more responses if you post this in Non-Romantic Relationships.

I socialized with coworkers when I was younger, but now I prefer to keep work and social separate.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:20 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Yes all the time. Some of my best and closest friends came from previous jobs. What I have never done is date someone from work and then breakup with them and still have to work together. Now THAT would suck.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:11 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Many of my best friends started out as co-workers. I've dated co-workers and, yes, broke up and still had to work with them. It helps to be mature enough to have civil break-ups and not be spiteful or cruel.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:37 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Overall w/ ALL of the jobs I've had not really. The rare times I did, it wasn't w/ a group, it was a gal in which we met up 1-on-1 usually on a different day from the day we worked. I worked a lot of years in the education field, so a lot of this was meeting for lunch during the summer when school was out & not really during the school year.

Now re: a budding romantic relationship, I've actually met my last 2 boyfriends at my work at the time & they worked out well. With both of those relationships, we dated a WHOLE LOT longer than the jobs lasted & it wasn't due to us dating. Dating & the workplace never caused trouble nor coincided.

I don't see the problem w/ being friends w/ people from work. Now a romantic relationship is another story, but can be done IF done right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships