Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Select one option each for both
Someone cuts in front of me, say something 98 91.59%
Someone cuts in front of me, not say anything 9 8.41%
Someone cuts in front of another, say something 32 29.91%
Someone cuts in front of another, not say anything 24 22.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Do you generally call them out for it?

I admit, much to my shame, in the past I've just let them do it. Maybe it's no big thing. Of course sometimes if I see if someone has say only a couple of things at the grocery line I let them go through, but if someone unwittingly cuts in, or does it on purpose, I've probably bit my tongue more than I've spoken out, which is a couple of occasions. I guess it's part shyness and non-assertiveness, especially when it's a big scary looking guy who does it lol. I know I shouldn't be afraid to speak up, though.

Another question is. If you saw someone cut in front of someone else, would you say something? Let's assuming that person was not 'saving his spot.' I can say on at least on occasion I have called them out for doing so, but I don't know if I'd typically do so.

It seems that a lot of people, probably most, would just pretend nothing has happened. I guess we humans can be pretty timid creatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,011,896 times
Most of the time I don't worry about it. I figure I've got all the time in the world and they're running behind. Now if someone actually bumped me out of the way to get ahead, them we'd have a problem.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I used to let it go but not so much any more, in both respects.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Depends on how big of a hurry I'm in.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
It really depends upon the situation and what sort of mood I'm in.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:14 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
it depends. Seems like a small thing to get stressed over. On the other hand some people just need to learn some manners and need to be told as much

Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
Hell, there've been a few times when I've said something even when someone ahead of me lets someone else in line - or if there's one line with multiple registers and someone bypasses the line to make a beeline for one of the soon to be open registers.

I don't always say anything but usually I do - on behalf of myself or other people. If it's an older person - as in old - I don't say anything. Unless the person clearly knows what they're doing and is just being a jerk, I'm polite about it, and most often they apologize and get in line. There are also times when it's sort of too late to say anything to the line-cutter but I'll exchange a look or comment with someone else in line.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Most of the time when people have cut it is out of a temporary state of cluelessness. When they are alerted to the pressence of a line, most of them say "OH!" and take their place at the rear of the line.

On a few occassions I've had people intentionally cut in front of me, usually at a self check out line in a grocery store. I am not a body language expert, but know a challenge when I see one. I am not a passive person, but I also don't like the idea of things escalating, especially if I have one of my kids with me, so I just chalk it up to some people being total [bad word] and let it go.

However, recently I experienced one exception. I was at the DMV with my wife. I had just received knee surgery, and was using crutches. My wife was holding our 8 month old. After an excrutiating wait, our number was called. It took us a moment to get up. Not a long one, but between baby and crutches we were not moving as fast as others that day. By the time we got to our window, there was a guy there. You can bet your last dollar that if someone cuts in front of me at the DMV line I am going to call them out.

I asked him, "What number are you?" He said his number, and I showed him my tag, which was the same as he claimed to have. He said, "I have the same number." To which I replied, "Interesting. I'd very much like to see it." The lady behind the counter was listening and fished it out of the trash at her work station. Handing it back to the guy she told him his number, which was two or three off from mine. No way he mistook his number for mine. He was just trying to take advantage of a situation.

I was polite, and to his credit he was as well. People cut lines out of either cluelessness or selfishness. Both are a bit frustrating to deal with, but we have to share this place with others, so it's really on each one of us to decide how best to deal with it. Most often it is not worth risking escalation. On the other hand, if you never stand up for yourself, you may let too much frustration build and eventually snap.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:41 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
where I live the cashiers are very blunt about saying(and meaning),"I'll take the NEXT person who was in line!"
They must get that as part of their training as they all say and mean it
I love it!

Old 10-12-2012, 02:03 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Most of the time when people have cut it is out of a temporary state of cluelessness. When they are alerted to the pressence of a line, most of them say "OH!" and take their place at the rear of the line.

On a few occassions I've had people intentionally cut in front of me, usually at a self check out line in a grocery store. I am not a body language expert, but know a challenge when I see one. I am not a passive person, but I also don't like the idea of things escalating, especially if I have one of my kids with me, so I just chalk it up to some people being total [bad word] and let it go.

However, recently I experienced one exception. I was at the DMV with my wife. I had just received knee surgery, and was using crutches. My wife was holding our 8 month old. After an excrutiating wait, our number was called. It took us a moment to get up. Not a long one, but between baby and crutches we were not moving as fast as others that day. By the time we got to our window, there was a guy there. You can bet your last dollar that if someone cuts in front of me at the DMV line I am going to call them out.

I asked him, "What number are you?" He said his number, and I showed him my tag, which was the same as he claimed to have. He said, "I have the same number." To which I replied, "Interesting. I'd very much like to see it." The lady behind the counter was listening and fished it out of the trash at her work station. Handing it back to the guy she told him his number, which was two or three off from mine. No way he mistook his number for mine. He was just trying to take advantage of a situation.

I was polite, and to his credit he was as well. People cut lines out of either cluelessness or selfishness. Both are a bit frustrating to deal with, but we have to share this place with others, so it's really on each one of us to decide how best to deal with it. Most often it is not worth risking escalation. On the other hand, if you never stand up for yourself, you may let too much frustration build and eventually snap.
DMV is no fun and the wait is ridiculous. You have to wait in line to wait in line. Last time I went, I was waiting in line to get my number and there were a mother and daughter who walked in, both disabled. It was my turn to get a number and the security guard asked me if they could go ahead of me and I said yes.

I could understand that, and I would be next after them, but the people behind me were less than pleased, saying next time they come, they will have to remember to bring the crutches.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships