U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 PM

892 posts, read 1,841,532 times

Advertisements

I prefer separate checks instead of splitting the payment. Many of my friends are really cheap and usually have cash on them. I almost always use a card to pay. If we have one check for the whole table, they will give me $9 for their meal that cost $8.75. Then of course I get stuck paying both their tax and tip on my card because I don't want to short the server due to their cheapness. At least with separate checks it is not me that looks bad if they decide to be cheap.

Once I had lunch with a friend in high school who paid the bill in exact change, down to the penny. Man, was I glad I had a separate check and tipped 20%. She was so cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,587,241 times
I don't have any "friends" who would stiff servers or expect me to pick up their portion of tax and grat. Seems like you need to get new "friends".

Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 PM

35,120 posts, read 40,064,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Of course I want to serve customers properly. All of them.

And like I said, it's not always at server discretion. My old restaurant stopped allowing split checks period due to walk outs.

Nobody's trying to ruin your day, is the point. Restaurants and servers bend over backwards to accommodate patrons beyond reason typically, which is why people who work in restaurants are some of the most abused workers. This narcissistic "me, me, me" attitude is the downfall of America.

Next time, why don't you try doing multiple payments and see if it ruins your brunch? My guess is not. You see, I go out to brunch too.

Ironically we did do multiple payments on Sunday and it did not change a thing, we still had a great brunch, everything was delicious, the server was prompt and efficient and the place had every table full, the bar was full and there were many more waiting to be seated. Funny how prompt, efficient service oriented staff can make the entire place enjoyable, run smoothly and help make it profitable for them and the establishment.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 AM

892 posts, read 1,841,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I don't have any "friends" who would stiff servers or expect me to pick up their portion of tax and grat. Seems like you need to get new "friends".
We are all young, poor, and in college. They never really expect me to pay those things for them, or at least have never said anything to that effect. They probably assume I am a crappy tipper like they are, so don't feel a need to chip in for a tip. I do have a couple friends who are also generous tippers, and it is much more pleasant to go out with them. I try to avoid sit down dinners with the cheap friends, and reserve our outings to drinking at bars where tabs are always separate.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:15 AM

55,705 posts, read 54,294,792 times
I found this thread very interesting, and I am astounded at the number of people who say they ask for separate checks as a matter of routine.

Like xxbabeechick, I am in the NY metro area (live in NNJ, work in the city) and so I'm wondering if the no-no against asking for separate checks is a regional-societal custom. With few exceptions, it's simply considered bad form/uncool or just a sign of not having enough sense to figure your own bills at the table, whether you are evenly splitting or making adjustments for more expensive meals/alcohol consumption by some but not all. Asking for separate checks is something preteens do at Friendly's or old ladies do at early birds. Recently, I HAVE experienced a couple of coworkers splitting payments--they collect the cash from everyone at lunch and then maybe two of them will put equal parts of the bill on their cards--usually it's because they get points or rewards or something on those cards.

I do understand xx's logic that "tables are tabs"--makes sense to me, even though I've never been a server myself. (By the way, many of my friends have waited on tables and/or been bartenders, and someone would have to be REALLY bad before I'd stiff them on a tip. I think self-righteous indignation is too often a cover for flat-out cheapness.)

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it goes without saying that if some order alcohol or appetizers or something really expensive when everyone else doesn't, it's just common courtesy to throw in extra to cover that. Why on earth would you be dining out in the first place with the type of people who wouldn't do that?

I'm wondering, xxbabeechick, if the type of people who would ask for separate checks in a NYC restaurant are those same people who JUST. STOP. DEAD. in the middle of the sidewalk instead of pulling off to the side...

Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 AM

35,120 posts, read 40,064,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I found this thread very interesting, and I am astounded at the number of people who say they ask for separate checks as a matter of routine.

Like xxbabeechick, I am in the NY metro area (live in NNJ, work in the city) and so I'm wondering if the no-no against asking for separate checks is a regional-societal custom. With few exceptions, it's simply considered bad form/uncool or just a sign of not having enough sense to figure your own bills at the table, whether you are evenly splitting or making adjustments for more expensive meals/alcohol consumption by some but not all. Asking for separate checks is something preteens do at Friendly's or old ladies do at early birds. Recently, I HAVE experienced a couple of coworkers splitting payments--they collect the cash from everyone at lunch and then maybe two of them will put equal parts of the bill on their cards--usually it's because they get points or rewards or something on those cards.

I do understand xx's logic that "tables are tabs"--makes sense to me, even though I've never been a server myself. (By the way, many of my friends have waited on tables and/or been bartenders, and someone would have to be REALLY bad before I'd stiff them on a tip. I think self-righteous indignation is too often a cover for flat-out cheapness.)

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it goes without saying that if some order alcohol or appetizers or something really expensive when everyone else doesn't, it's just common courtesy to throw in extra to cover that. Why on earth would you be dining out in the first place with the type of people who wouldn't do that?

I'm wondering, xxbabeechick, if the type of people who would ask for separate checks in a NYC restaurant are those same tourists who JUST. STOP. DEAD. in the middle of the sidewalk instead of pulling off to the side...
Absolutely, ALL non New Yorkers are complete morons who cannot walk and think at the same time and insist on causing all this ruckus over separate checks just to irritate the crap out of all of you alleged "Customer Service" professionals because we have nothing better to do but go : Hey ya'll watch this........

Get a grip people, it is a stinking check at a restaurant and it has nothing to do with being as cheap as some the tarts who..........well nevermind.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 AM

43,465 posts, read 52,484,972 times
Usually one person will get the whole tab.

If not, then separate checks would have been delineated from the beginning.

We don't eat out that often, so I don't usually mind picking up the tab.
Usually the people will pick it up the next time. I'm not into keeping score and I don't like people who keep score.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Ironically we did do multiple payments on Sunday and it did not change a thing, we still had a great brunch...
Great!

I say these things only because I consistently both sides. I dine out frequently as well as serve. Because I do, I take note of things. Given the circumstances, I have probably higher service expectations than the average person.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
We are all young, poor, and in college.
You don't think I've been young, poor, and in college too?

Quote:

Like xxbabeechick, I am in the NY metro area (live in NNJ, work in the city) and so I'm wondering if the no-no against asking for separate checks is a regional-societal custom. With few exceptions, it's simply considered bad form/uncool or just a sign of not having enough sense to figure your own bills at the table, whether you are evenly splitting or making adjustments for more expensive meals/alcohol consumption by some but not all. Asking for separate checks is something preteens do at Friendly's or old ladies do at early birds.
It is definitely a regional societal thing. You have seen for yourself in this thread that some people actually think that if they don't ask for separate checks that they have to split the bill evenly, like those are the only two choices.

I think part of it is that metro area people are used to going to high volume places where that stuff can't or won't be done...and they've seen it doesn't kill anyone to look at a tab, throw in some cash or ask to put a certain dollar amount on their card. I mean, you are with these people after all. When I go out to eat with friends usually, we get the check I peruse it for about 30 seconds, and hand them a dollar amount (since they usually put it on their card). This never struck me as some sort of undue hardship.

Quote:
That's what I said and I don't think I'm extraordinarily picky with my company.

Quote:
I'm wondering, xxbabeechick, if the type of people who would ask for separate checks in a NYC restaurant are those same people who JUST. STOP. DEAD. in the middle of the sidewalk instead of pulling off to the side...
I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Absolutely, ALL non New Yorkers are complete morons who cannot walk and think at the same time and insist on causing all this ruckus over separate checks just to irritate the crap out of all of you alleged "Customer Service" professionals because we have nothing better to do but go : Hey ya'll watch this........

Get a grip people, it is a stinking check at a restaurant and it has nothing to do with being as cheap as some the tarts who..........well nevermind.
No need to get excited. I don't think all non NYC'ers are complete morons and I never said anything to that effect. I just think they are not exposed to going to all the different kinds of establishments metro area people are, and some of them don't even understand the concept of multiple payment, clearly.

I've explain the concept of multiple payment to parties of out of towners when the party was too big to split checks clearly while they stared at me with a mixture of looks ranging from confusion to "You just killed cat".

Old 10-16-2012, 06:47 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,046,227 times
i dont think its a ny thing. it is an etiquette thing. sounds like some people on here need to read up on their manners

of course its different if we're talking about like waffle house vs. fine dining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships