U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 01:47 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So, if you order prime rib and an expensive bottle of wine and I have salad and water, you think it's fair to split that evenly? That isn't civilized, it's outrageous.
It is. But how likely is such a scenario to happen? People who are going out for wine and steak are rarely going to be having dinner with someone picking at leaves and sipping water. And again, why on earth would you be dining with someone in the first place who would order something so much more expensive and not offer to throw in the difference when the difference would be so significant? Wouldn't that person have shown signs of being a jerk long before a dinner date was set up?

In reality, people having dinner out are generally within a few dollars of one another's meals and I think that's what most people are talking about here.

Anyway, this thread was my amusement for the day. Thanks, xxbabeechick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM

7,863 posts, read 10,545,026 times
We USED to enjoy eating out with a group of friends but over the past year it has become apparent that we have different eating habits and have come up with this solution. We would go out with them and my dh and I are not big eaters so the entrée is more than enough for each of us. Some of our friends always have appetizers and others always have desert. The bill is always split evenly with the group. After a while we noted that while we enjoy the dining experience we eat a lot less than they do (they are not gorging) and rather than eat, just for the sake of eating, we now eat at home and join them for a drink after desert.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM

3,712 posts, read 4,089,420 times
OK, I've read the whole darn thing, so here it is:

- NY is cool but NOT the center of the universe...just thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks for the info that the norm is NOT to split the check. I'd hate to be in Babee's restaurant and have her get mad at me because separate checks are a pain in HER butt.

- I don't go out to dinner very often so I won't comment on the practices there, but I go out to lunch very frequently, and nearly EVERY SINGLE TIME since the dawn of my existance, the waiter/waitress has asked if we want one bill or separate. Yes, it's true. I am now thinking it has to do more with it being lunch time. Most of us go to lunch with work mates and it's extremely common to have separate checks.

- Forgive this poor, dumb "southern lady" but tell me how this is better: you take one check and write down all the different cards with all the different amounts and then you close out one check? versus you have a separate check rung up for all those different people and when you collect the payment (cash or card) you know exactly how and what goes where b/c that card is for that one check?

Now, I do understand that if it's a big party, that would be a serious hassle, but not impossible. I do understand it takes time to ring up each check but for say a few people, I don't understand what the big friggin' deal is. It is so normal in my neck of the woods that NOT having the option is off putting and worthy of me walking/driving elsewhere. (but I wouldn't b/c that wouldn't be my style...I'm being indignant to make a point! )

Don't get me wrong. I don't split the check with hubs, nor do I with family as a rule. But again, for most of my meals out (lunch) it's very common. Think of this, I worked with a lady who usually only had enough for the meal. She never tipped unless the waiter was cute. No amount of talk with her would change her mind. I now work with a lady who isn't quite "demanding" but still kinda picky and she's a very "low" tipper. I prefer separate checks so I can control what's coming out of my pocket but not accomodating to other's habits.

Don't tell me to get new friends...I'm talking about work mates or people you may not know as well. Or sometimes, we don't know our "new" friends spending habits. Also, sometimes, when you go out, you just want to share the comradery, but don't have a huge budget - I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to just chip in your share and be on your merry way, but as other's have pointed out, not everyone pitches in their fare share. You act as though this has never happened to you.

- Oh, and one last thing, if you are a tourist in my town...I guess I could finish the sentence with my more than adequate list of annoyances...but that wouldn't be very nice.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:38 PM

27,165 posts, read 29,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Hehe so true.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,387,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Depends on which friends I'm dining with. With some, we just take turns picking up the entire check. With others we usually just toss in an equal amount and whatever is left over is the tip, which is ordinarily very generous.

I hate diddling around with who had what and people calculating the breakdown and how much to tip.
This works for some people, but not others. We dump a lot of money into our 401k and savings. We have intentionally placed ourselves in a position with limited discretionary income. However, we still enjoy a night out with friends. But the reality is, I don't keep enough available to pay for an entire party. So in my case, I would rather just split the tab.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:01 AM

147 posts, read 191,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't have many friends to ever go out in a group...it's always just 1 other person & myself. I always seem to be the one to think/remember to tell the waiter/waitress to give us separate checks AT THE BEGINNING when the order's being taken.
I do this before others do. It is just less painful and I never have to deal with the discomfort of the dollars versus cokes versus soups, etc. I got over the 'embarrassment' of it a few years ago when I got my student loan bills. I just have to watch each penny. Either way, good luck, as it can be tricky.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 AM

147 posts, read 191,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We USED to enjoy eating out with a group of friends but over the past year it has become apparent that we have different eating habits and have come up with this solution. We would go out with them and my dh and I are not big eaters so the entrée is more than enough for each of us. Some of our friends always have appetizers and others always have desert. The bill is always split evenly with the group. After a while we noted that while we enjoy the dining experience we eat a lot less than they do (they are not gorging) and rather than eat, just for the sake of eating, we now eat at home and join them for a drink after desert.
That's a good idea!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:07 AM

43,534 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Servers who refuse to split the checks may wind up with less tip overall.

What if a cheapskate is covering the whole tab and stiffs you?
At least with multiple tabs, you run the odds better and probably get multiple higher smaller amounts instead of one smaller high amount.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,142,366 times
My friends and I are communists, so we go "Democrat." The richest guy pays the entire bill. Works out nicely for most of us.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:46 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,543,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
My friends and I are communists, so we go "Democrat." The richest guy pays the entire bill. Works out nicely for most of us.
Wow...the thread made it 139 posts without one person trying to stick in a political comment. Oh well it was good while it lasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships