U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 PM

23,989 posts, read 32,798,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is. But how likely is such a scenario to happen? People who are going out for wine and steak are rarely going to be having dinner with someone picking at leaves and sipping water. And again, why on earth would you be dining with someone in the first place who would order something so much more expensive and not offer to throw in the difference when the difference would be so significant? Wouldn't that person have shown signs of being a jerk long before a dinner date was set up?

In reality, people having dinner out are generally within a few dollars of one another's meals and I think that's what most people are talking about here.

Anyway, this thread was my amusement for the day. Thanks, xxbabeechick!
Apparently, it's pretty likely given how strongly some people feel about this. And I've seen people order expensive meals then try the "even split" B.S., and I never go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM

415 posts, read 508,895 times
I read this whole thread and I find quite a few of the posts very condescending. Here out in California, which is not part of the midwest, servers ask up front "are you guys together or separate?" every single time. No matter what the restaurant, lounge or club. The same is true of Las Vegas and Salt Lake, which are also not part of the midwest (if you think they are please do me a favor and consult a map).

In Vegas whatever the tourist wants the tourist gets, even if the party is 20 people and there will be 20 checks, and they always ask up front "together or separate?" and if you say "separate" the server is kind and won't give you a dirty look. Which is how it should be. Vegas is hardly a little quiet dusty town, given that it rakes in billions and billions of dollars annually and is a world reknown tourist town.

I'm frankly tired of the whiny help threads. Go learn a trade or go to college. Seriously. Stop whining.

New York City is the center of the universe...the center of the universe for rude people.

For the record, I live in Orange county California, eat out a ton and have even been to LA. LA is, by the way, the second largest city in the country, and has plenty of overloaded restaurants, bars and lounges, and there are likewise many crowded areas here in OC, which is home to Newport Beach, Disneyland, and Knott's Berry Farm. Hardly the slow moving midwest, which has far friendlier people than NYC does. Out here the line at Disney for a restaurant with screaming unhappy kids can be a mile long and they will still split the check for the people inside, and still ask, and with a smile.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:45 PM

4,188 posts, read 4,389,628 times
I've noticed most Western people like to split the bill. The Chinese on the other hand, at least not the young, Americanized ones, always insist on grabbing the check, and will spend literally hours arguing over who gets to pay. I'm not sure why but I think it's a status thing, we're very obsessed with courtesy and apperances, so we want to be the ones who get to pay.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:42 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
I've noticed most Western people like to split the bill. The Chinese on the other hand, at least not the young, Americanized ones, always insist on grabbing the check, and will spend literally hours arguing over who gets to pay. I'm not sure why but I think it's a status thing, we're very obsessed with courtesy and apperances, so we want to be the ones who get to pay.
^^^I think you're right that this is probably is a cultural status thing. My daughter spent five months in China last year, and she said people who are doing well financially will order tons of food that they will never be able to eat just to show off that they have the money to do so and then will pick up the tab for everyone.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:55 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Apparently, it's pretty likely given how strongly some people feel about this. And I've seen people order expensive meals then try the "even split" B.S., and I never go for it.
That did happen to me recently. Partly my fault, because when I was asked, "Do you want to go out for crabs?" I said yes, even though I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. I like crab meat and things made with crab meat but when they dumped this load of recently-deceased whole crabs in the middle of the table, my stomach kind of turned. I'd had some cheese soup and some beer and some fries, so after one attempt at ripping apart this disgusting-looking thing and examining it way too closely to see what was edible and what was not (and having someone say, "don't eat the lung") my stomach just sort of somersaulted and I decided to forego the feast.

I still kicked in my share of the bill, which was split evenly four ways by a woman who took charge of that job, put the bill on her credit card, and collected cash from everyone (I'd never met this person before that evening--was visiting a friend in NoVA and went to dinner with her and two of her friends). I therefore ended up spending about $50 for beer and soup and french fries. It seemed expensive, but we were on the second pitcher and I'm not sure what steamed crabs go for.

The next day my friend said she was speaking with her other friend, not the one who took care of the bill, and they suspected that the three of us had paid for her meal. In other words, the woman in charge seems to have split the bill three ways instead of four and collected the entire amount including tip in cash from the three of us. She was the only one not drinking alcohol, so I guess she figured she could pull it over on us, and she was right.

Choose your dining companions wisely!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 PM

27,165 posts, read 29,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I read this whole thread and I find quite a few of the posts very condescending. Here out in California, which is not part of the midwest, servers ask up front "are you guys together or separate?" every single time. No matter what the restaurant, lounge or club. The same is true of Las Vegas and Salt Lake, which are also not part of the midwest (if you think they are please do me a favor and consult a map).
Not in my California. I'm up in the Bay. I can't recall an occasion when I have been asked at all. It happens occasionally at a place like Chipotle or a fast casual place or a coffee shop. But a regular sit-down place, I can't think of a single occasion. I go out to eat once a week at least........

Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Most of the time, unless it's a friend's birthday or a milestone. The math is no problem. And if the person is really a friend and I wind up paying a little more than half to make the rounding off easier, I don't care.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:45 AM

43,534 posts, read 52,626,787 times
If it's really such a big deal, people shouldn't go out to eat.
If every spare penny matters that much (or even dime or dollar)...just stay home.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,509,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not in my California. I'm up in the Bay. I can't recall an occasion when I have been asked at all. It happens occasionally at a place like Chipotle or a fast casual place or a coffee shop. But a regular sit-down place, I can't think of a single occasion. I go out to eat once a week at least........

I'm inclined to agree with you. I travel for work a good bit, occasionally with a group. Because of the way our expense reporting system works, if no one has a corporate card there needs to be a receipt per person for reimbursement. I've had more issues in San Francisco with servers telling me they can't separate checks or giving attitude about it.

I still think it's ridiculous that servers are getting all annoyed about it and frankly if it's that much trouble to do it because you have other tables or need a manager swipe but can't get one, the restaurant you're working at isn't set up correctly to properly serve it's guests.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,142,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Wow...the thread made it 139 posts without one person trying to stick in a political comment. Oh well it was good while it lasted.
Sue, it was a joke. I really am a Democrat. I didn't mean to offend.. just poking some good natured fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships