U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:21 PM

676 posts, read 1,052,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
New York City is the center of the universe...the center of the universe for rude people.
I know you're kidding But I often wonder if people perceive NYC as rude because of the things they do. I'm willing to help people visiting with directions, recommendations if I know the area, and show them how to purchase a Metrocard. When I've had time, I've even taken photos of people at their request. That said, there are certain behaviors, which to be fair, not just tourists do, but it's mostly tourists, which irk me. Depending on my mood and how many times I've encountered it that day, I'll react with an polite excuse me please, followed by louder "excuse me, I'm trying to get through" and then I get more obnoxious. Sometimes I go directly to the louder "excuse me" The behaviors are:

1) stopping suddenly with no warning/apology so the people behind them have to go around them to avoid bumping into them

2) blocking exit/entrances unnecessarily

3) stopping dead at the top of an escalator, nearly causing a human pile up

4) walking 3 or more across the sidewalk and doing it slowly when the sidewalk is congested and people are trying to get around them. I got stuck behind 3 of them with golf umbrellas today.

5) blocking the entire sidewalk when a large group of tourists is waiting for something. Leave a little sidewalk to let people through

6) picking a really bad spot to consult a map, such blocking the curb of a crosswalk (vs. the curb towards the middle of a block) or where a congested sidewalk gets narrow, such as where there's scaffolding

7) bumping into people without saying excuse me

8) being oblivious when people are saying excuse me and trying to get by

9) if they can't make up their mind what they want in a deli, etc. by the time they get to where the orders are placed, not stepping aside to let the people who know what they want order. Maybe they're on vacation, but plenty of people have to get to work and appointments.

Tourists who are polite and courteous get the polite and courteous version of me. Tourists who are rude themselves probably think I'm rude if I get past the polite excuse me phase.

For sit down restaurants, it's usually only the door blocking which directly affects me. But if I'm going to a sit down place, I usually have a little more time so I'm more patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 03:31 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,191,250 times
I've not read over all 171 posts here, just kind of skimmed through them.

Having waitstaff ask before taking orders if we want separate checks is very common here, especially during lunch. Lots of places just assume you want them, and do it automatically. If they don't and my group of friends and I don't ask, we just split it amongst ourselves.

When my husband and I go out to dinner with friends, we usually get the check one time and they will get it the next.

As for the calculator thing, I don't see a problem. I use my phone, but I have the Tipulator app on my phone, and it's better than a calculator. Hubby laughed at me when I got it, now whenever we're out to dinner, he always wants to use it. You can have a preset tip percentage that stays on it until you change it. All you do is put in the check amount and it will show you the tip amount and the check total automatically.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 PM

676 posts, read 1,052,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I've not read over all 171 posts here, just kind of skimmed through them.

Having waitstaff ask before taking orders if we want separate checks is very common here, especially during lunch. Lots of places just assume you want them, and do it automatically. If they don't and my group of friends and I don't ask, we just split it amongst ourselves.

When my husband and I go out to dinner with friends, we usually get the check one time and they will get it the next.

As for the calculator thing, I don't see a problem. I use my phone, but I have the Tipulator app on my phone, and it's better than a calculator. Hubby laughed at me when I got it, now whenever we're out to dinner, he always wants to use it. You can have a preset tip percentage that stays on it until you change it. All you do is put in the check amount and it will show you the tip amount and the check total automatically.
The tip apps are great for agreeing on a percentage discreetly and splitting a bill without drawing a lot of attention. Which is especially handy when you're treating someone for their birthday so they don't hear the bill, etc.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:35 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,595,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If it's really such a big deal, people shouldn't go out to eat.
If every spare penny matters that much (or even dime or dollar)...just stay home.
That's my philosophy.

Like people who ask how much cocktails on a cocktail list, get the response "they range from $11-13", and proceed to ask which ones are $11, which are $12, and which ones are $13...They are the ones asking the friends for the extra $2 their appetizer was over the one they chose...

Old 10-21-2012, 12:16 AM

27,165 posts, read 29,650,120 times
Well I thought I'd share tonight's experience. A few weeks ago I met a guy (he's married) at a networking thing. We were chatting about restaurants etc. He said, hey I should invite you to my birthday dinner in a few weeks. I was a little puzzled that I was invited, but it was a restaurant I had been meaning to try, and he seemed like a nice guy [so maybe he has nice friends. ]

I thought there was an off chance I'd know someone else there, but it turns out there were around 25 people and the only person I knew was the birthday guy. Over the course of the evening, I noticed people leaving early. Things were in private room over a couple of tables.

And eventually, after around half of the people left, I noticed the waitress was bringing individual checks to people at each table. My sister and I looked at each other, and wondered if she was going to ask us if we wanted the same check. When she got to our table of 10, she brought two checks for the people who were leaving early. And they said their good byes. We were down to 6 people. So I was thinking, hmm.....I wonder if she is going to give us separate checks for our 3 groups.

She cleared the table and brought one check for the 6 of us left at the table. We agreed to split the bill evenly, no issues (even though we had only met that evening).

Old 10-21-2012, 12:23 AM

IMO, the host of the party should have the understanding he's responsible for people who leave without paying their fair share of the tab.

I worked a party for an engaged couple, and many of the people in the party were ordering food, high end scotches, shots...just racking up the bill. Some put substantial amounts of money down, others sort of...well bailed. At the end only the engaged couple and one friend of theirs remained and they finally asked for the bill. They were astounded to see that it was 1K with only 350 paid towards the balance, grat was included of course. After a couple minutes of a shocked face and perusals of the items, they looked at each other and said, "Oh well, I guess they owe us a lot of nice wedding presents."

Old 10-21-2012, 01:12 AM

27,165 posts, read 29,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
IMO, the host of the party should have the understanding he's responsible for people who leave without paying their fair share of the tab.
That makes sense. In this case, we were just left with roughly our portions. I think there was an unclaimed soda or something on our bill. But nothing substantial. The amount was within $5 of what I expected to pay.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 AM

34,670 posts, read 33,671,635 times
I always prefer separate checks because of cheap tippers, because I don't drink, because I don't drink coffee, and because married people do weird things. I pay cash. I throw in a 20 percent tip but El Cheapo who grabs the check to put it all on their card and take everyone else's money always is tight with the tip and I'm always suspicious when the collector of cash gives money back to us when I know I gave exactly what I owed and the tip I wanted to give.

I prefer to tell the waitress up front I want a separate check.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM

I don't have friends that would steal other's services...so I'm not familiar with that sort of problem.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I don't have friends that would steal other's services...so I'm not familiar with that sort of problem.
That's what I think it comes down to. If you leep having experiences when people are order expensive drinks and big dinners when everyone else is ordering sandwiches and sodas and then won't kick in the extra, why on earth do you go back again and hang out with those people? How can you complain when you know what the deal is before you even go out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships