U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,557,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
im assuming you've never worked in a restaurant. it is actually a huge headache. sure you (probably) know everything you ordered, but your server is waiting on 30 other people. it is a huge pain to track what each individual orders rather than grouping it by table, esp in a large party. people do things like moving seats and sharing apps, too, which further confuses things. say you have 6 people at your table. one dude tells you he wants some cocktail, someone else needs some more dressing, someone needs a straw, your other table is waiting for you to pick up their check, another table's food is ready and you need to bring it out, a table just sat down and you need to go greet them asap. and rather than just plop the drink order on table 4, you have to put it on person 5 at table 4. usually you'd remember what person it was by where they were sitting, but people like to shout out their orders in random order and people will change seats. it gets really confusing. and heaven forbid person 5's cocktail gets put on the wrong person's check. of course if you know they're going to have separate checks beforehand it does help so you can keep in mind that you have to keep it all organized by individual, but in the back of your mind you already know these ppl are probably cheap. in fact if you are frequently getting asked if you need separate checks i would second guess the way you present yourself (unless of course we're talking about low end places like applebees or dennys where this is expected. im assuming/hoping most people are talking about these places when they say they get asked for separate checks often).
No paragraphs gives one a headache! Oy!
So....bottom line...YOU think that people who ask for separate checks are cheap? Why is that again?
We do separate checks and our normal tip STARTS at 20% and usually goes up. You have to be pretty bad to get it down to 15%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,991,325 times
Quote:
So....bottom line...YOU think that people who ask for separate checks are cheap?
People ask for seperate checks to avoid the hassle of dividing up the bill. Has nothing to do with cheapness.

If a waitress or waiter doesn't want to do this they can expect a LOWER tip from me since I AM THE CUSTOMER and as a customer I want a seperate check and no flack from the waitstaff who doesnt want to ring up the order that way.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:29 AM

3,672 posts, read 6,069,157 times
its not about cheapness, its about good manners. usually the two go hand in hand but not always. and obviously a good server isn't going to make it obvious when he/she is annoyed at you lol.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,602,179 times
It's a fact that people who ask for separate checks tip poorly in comparison to people who just figure it out amongst their friends.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,602,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
If a waitress or waiter doesn't want to do this they can expect a LOWER tip from me since I AM THE CUSTOMER and as a customer I want a seperate check and no flack from the waitstaff who doesnt want to ring up the order that way.

Because clearly the server woke up this morning and thought, "What exactly can I do to **** Dayton Sux off so much that he'll give me a poor tip?"

People who think like this aren't good tippers anyway.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,991,325 times
Quote:
People who think like this aren't good tippers anyway
Not according to the waiter I met at a bar after he served me at a restuarant.

I went out to this place, dinner, left tip, nothing special.

Then later that night I was at a local bar i go to and who should walk in but the selfsame waiter! He spotted me,.came over, and said thanks for that tip. I said really? And he said people usually don't leave that much.

So I don't need you telling me how much I tip or don't tip.

@@@

As for seperate vs non-seperate checks, what I noticed is regional variations. Here in Ohio the waistaff usually runs seperate checks or asks.

Out in California I noticed that its customary for one check and it's left to the party to settle up among themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships