U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:33 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,594,929 times

Advertisements

I tip a minimum tip of 15% for the food hitting the table. Why? Because a. then you're not paying for service at all (and yes, if your food hits the table that's service) b. and a server's tips are how the bartender, food runner, and busser make money too. If I had a lackluster server, I don't think the bartender and the person who wiped my table down should work for free too.

The only way to affect a change in someone's service is to complain to a manager. If I have a complaint about service I tip 15% (for the aforementioned reasons) and report my bad experience to the manager. Bad servers rarely change their habits because of poor tips/stiffs. They do change their habits if a manager is on their back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,665,456 times
The worst service I've ever had was a place that split tips. I guess the whole staff suffered that day because no freaking way he was getting 15%. If low tips become an issue with the staff, they'll have to speak to management about changing their tip policy.

And if its a hassle to separate checks, isn't your job as their server to ask at the beginning if this is going to be separate checks and ask how they want to pay for any bottles of wine or appetizers that they share? Then you wouldn't need approval and you would save yourself the headache.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:17 PM

93 posts, read 191,733 times
I ask for a separate check.

It was never an issue to create separate checks when I worked as a server and it's never been an issue to get a separate check at an establishment. Interestingly, when an establishment wants my money, they find a way to take it.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,474,042 times
We ask for separate checks before ordering. I have no idea what they tip. We don't go out eating and drinking, so there are never and added drinks to be figured out.

It's breakfast or dinner and it is us and them. Sometimes a fifth person joins and he ends up on one or the other of the checks.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I tip a minimum tip of 15% for the food hitting the table. Why? Because a. then you're not paying for service at all (and yes, if your food hits the table that's service) b. and a server's tips are how the bartender, food runner, and busser make money too. If I had a lackluster server, I don't think the bartender and the person who wiped my table down should work for free too.

The only way to affect a change in someone's service is to complain to a manager. If I have a complaint about service I tip 15% (for the aforementioned reasons) and report my bad experience to the manager. Bad servers rarely change their habits because of poor tips/stiffs. They do change their habits if a manager is on their back.
I agree.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,057,911 times
usually if its a small group one person will offer to pay. or if it is 2-3 couples it will be split by the couple. i don't usually go out in groups larger than 4-6. i think its kinda tacky to split a check at all when you're in a small group like that. if you're all friends and do other things together you can take turns picking up the tab.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
The worst service I've ever had was a place that split tips. I guess the whole staff suffered that day because no freaking way he was getting 15%. If low tips become an issue with the staff, they'll have to speak to management about changing their tip policy.
What do you mean by a place that splits tips? You mean pooling or tip share? Every place has tip share, essentially, but not pooling.

Bussers and service bartenders get paid through server tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
And if its a hassle to separate checks, isn't your job as their server to ask at the beginning if this is going to be separate checks and ask how they want to pay for any bottles of wine or appetizers that they share? Then you wouldn't need approval and you would save yourself the headache.
Why would I ask people if they want separate checks? This isn't the midwest, this is NYC. Most people for the most part know how to act when they go out. The vast majority of NYC'ers "split the check" by splitting the payment, which is no hardship to normal people and expedites their service and the service to the rest of my tables.

The biggest issue is with large parties, which I've developed a system for but I will not split the check.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkyandPunctual View Post

It was never an issue to create separate checks when I worked as a server and it's never been an issue to get a separate check at an establishment. .
I'm not going to repeat myself by I addressed that with this post.

If people in a party want to pay for what they ordered, just give me or the rest of your party cash or have me swipe your card for a certain amount. Easy peasy. No need to separate a check.

Like I said, I've worked at places in midtown Manhattan so busy they will not allow servers to split checks, period. Extremely busy restaurant with high turnover + separating checks = slowed service and walk-out incentive.

I've traveled the country and noted most restaurants outside NYC are what I would call extremely low volume, so obviously that wouldn't be an issue.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,509,892 times
Quote:
What do you mean by a place that splits tips? You mean pooling or tip share? Every place has tip share, essentially, but not pooling.

Bussers and service bartenders get paid through server tips.

Why would I ask people if they want separate checks? .
Some restaurants pool tips among all the servers. It's not common, but it does exist. While were on the subject, not all bartenders and bussers get tipshare (though most do) and some restaurants still use cash registers, including some upscale/famous places that would surprise you.

As to why you ask people if they want separate checks? Well, because it's good service. I'm always impressed when a server proactively splits or asks for a large group, though I'm capable of doing so on my own.

If I'm out with friends that don't drink we usually have the non-drinkers through in what they owe and then we split the balance evenly.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to repeat myself by I addressed that with this post.

If people in a party want to pay for what they ordered, just give me or the rest of your party cash or have me swipe your card for a certain amount. Easy peasy. No need to separate a check.

Like I said, I've worked at places in midtown Manhattan so busy they will not allow servers to split checks, period.
I don't see a problem with two separate checks, no matter where you are in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships