U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
 
35,109 posts, read 40,193,301 times
Reputation: 62049

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
If a waitress refused to give us seperate checks, I would leave a tip of zero and never eat there again.

If a waitress refused to give separate checks I would leave at that moment, not order anything and never go back. I don't need any waitress telling me how I should pay the bill for the meal I had. I also tip very well when the service is very good and if it isn't good you'll be lucky to get anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,594,929 times
Reputation: 2475
Guessing the last poster didn't read the entire thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,594,929 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I posted in here a couple times before. I never heard of such a thing! So, if I order a $10 meal, but the other person orders a $20 meal, it should NOT be split evenly, so we're each paying $15 + tip! I'll pay my $10 + tip & the other person can pay their $20 + tip. They chose to order that meal...not me. All the restaurants in my area, & there are a LOT in my area, since I live in one of the hearts of my city, do separate (not split) checks when I ask them without a problem. They better be glad I tell them up front when I'm ordering & not at the end of the meal.

I don't see the huge deal with this whole separate checks topic or why it's seen as sooooo complicated. The waiter rings everyone up separately (as if they're dining alone), so there are separate receipts, that's all.
Why are people from different parts of the country so unfamiliar with the idea of separate payments (on the same check)? The choice is not split the bill evenly or get separate checks. I'm more than happy to take part cash, part card, or put different amounts on two cards. Heck I had a party give me 7 cards plus cash. I am happy to do that because it doesn't detract from the level of service I can give the rest of my tables. It's just the way server POS's work because tables are tabs and tabs are tables.

I understand most of you live in what I would consider isolated or suburban areas with low restaurant volume where that isn't an issue. The higher the volume, the bigger the issue.

Of course you wouldn't see why it's so complicated. You've never stared into a POS system trying to put in 3 different orders looking at a screen of 20 open checks. Or gotten 10% tips and glares from the rest of your tables because a five top of women insisted on splitting up the check all paying cash instead of just taking the bill and chipping in like civilized people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 PM
 
155 posts, read 302,206 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Some high volume restaurants' policies are no split checks, and like I said, it's not to screw the customer, it's to make sure that everyone gets a high level of service and checks are paid.
Ironic. Restaurants don't split check in order to give a high level of service.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,594,929 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgauchsin View Post
Ironic. Restaurants don't split check in order to give a high level of service.
Yep. And throughout this thread I've given a more than adequate explanation why. Believe me, it's not done take the **** out of you.

Next time I have a situation like the one I had in that hotel bar...I'll just look at the rest of the tables glaring at me and say, "Blame the ladies who wanted five separate checks."

But I would never work at a place that would allow that to happen again so that's a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
27,164 posts, read 29,645,043 times
Reputation: 26642
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Extremely busy restaurant with high turnover + separating checks = slowed service and walk-out incentive.

I've traveled the country and noted most restaurants outside NYC are what I would call extremely low volume, so obviously that wouldn't be an issue.
Where I live, many places put a limit on the number of cards they will take for a check. Some even limit the number of split checks.

What I generally do, no matter how the bill gets split, is write out an amount + last name for all of the cards. That way it is easy for the server. If we split the bill evenly then it says "charge everyone XXX." If it isn't split this way, then we write: Bob $10, Jennifer $20, Susan $30 and so on.

If I am going out in a big group, I stop at the ATM and pay with cash. I get my own change.

I go out to a group dinner at least once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Astoria, NY
3,053 posts, read 3,594,929 times
Reputation: 2475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Where I live, many places put a limit on the number of cards they will take for a check. Some even limit the number of split checks.

What I generally do, no matter how the bill gets split, is write out an amount + last name for all of the cards. That way it is easy for the server. If we split the bill evenly then it says "charge everyone XXX." If it isn't split this way, then we write: Bob $10, Jennifer $20, Susan $30 and so on.

If I am going out in a big group, I stop at the ATM and pay with cash. I get my own change.

I go out to a group dinner at least once a week.
When people do this they often tell me, "So sorry for the hassle!" and I'm like, "You're great, thanks, but that's easy for me to do!" Multiple payments are the way to go and result in expedited service. I don't care, I'll take 7 cards and cash to handle a large tab, they're trying to all pay me. The larger the tab, usually the more complicated the payment but that's expected. What I won't do is stare at a check with dozens of items on it when I'm slammed and try to figure out who ordered what. That's not fair to the rest of my patrons. There's a reason Micros' add new check feature stops after several checks.

Often businesses have card minimums but most places pass card processing fees onto their servers. I really don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,433 posts, read 29,474,042 times
Reputation: 19625
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Separate checks are split checks because in server's POS systems, tabs are tables and tables are tabs.
Just not the case. Every place we have been to we get separate checks. Two separate checks, each one itemized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
 
Location: NoVa
18,433 posts, read 29,474,042 times
Reputation: 19625
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Why are people from different parts of the country so unfamiliar with the idea of separate payments (on the same check)? The choice is not split the bill evenly or get separate checks. I'm more than happy to take part cash, part card, or put different amounts on two cards. Heck I had a party give me 7 cards plus cash. I am happy to do that because it doesn't detract from the level of service I can give the rest of my tables. It's just the way server POS's work because tables are tabs and tabs are tables.

I understand most of you live in what I would consider isolated or suburban areas with low restaurant volume where that isn't an issue. The higher the volume, the bigger the issue.

Of course you wouldn't see why it's so complicated. You've never stared into a POS system trying to put in 3 different orders looking at a screen of 20 open checks. Or gotten 10% tips and glares from the rest of your tables because a five top of women insisted on splitting up the check all paying cash instead of just taking the bill and chipping in like civilized people.
I have heard of split checks, and we have done it before, but more often than not, we have 2 bills coming to the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM
 
155 posts, read 302,206 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Yep. And throughout this thread I've given a more than adequate explanation why. Believe me, it's not done take the **** out of you.

Next time I have a situation like the one I had in that hotel bar...I'll just look at the rest of the tables glaring at me and say, "Blame the ladies who wanted five separate checks."

But I would never work at a place that would allow that to happen again so that's a moot point.
I meant ironic in that by not splitting the check you are not as you put it "giving a high level of service to everyone" - including the check splitters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top