Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Some restaurants pool tips among all the servers. It's not common, but it does exist. While were on the subject, not all bartenders and bussers get tipshare (though most do) and some restaurants still use cash registers, including some upscale/famous places that would surprise you.

As to why you ask people if they want separate checks? Well, because it's good service. I'm always impressed when a server proactively splits or asks for a large group, though I'm capable of doing so on my own.

If I'm out with friends that don't drink we usually have the non-drinkers through in what they owe and then we split the balance evenly.
I don't like repeating myself so I won't. I've worked in probably two dozen bars and restaurants in a high volume setting. I've worked in pooled houses, I've worked in individual houses, I've worked in places that still have registers (which is impossible to split the tab because you use a paper check sytem), I've used Aloha, Micros, Squirrel and Dinerware POS's. I cannot think of a place where bussers, runners and bartenders don't get tipshare. I mean, Hooters didn't do tipshare after they were sued for it but that's about it.

Like I said, most people in NYC are fine with split payment because they are used to high volume restaurants who will not split checks. Somehow they manage to eat out just fine without having separate checks. I will not split checks for large parties. Split payment of course.

Sometimes on rare occasions if I'm not busy I will start multiple tabs for a party if asked in advance but it has to be reasonable. If it's 15 people, 3 separate tabs not 10. POS's aren't even properly equipped to do things like that efficiently, they just can't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I don't see a problem with two separate checks, no matter where you are in the country.
Well you don't, but what if every other table did? That's the problem. One two top with split checks isn't a problem. The more high volume a restaurant is, the more service gets comprimised with people splitting the check. I'm sure if you practiced splitting the payment you'll see it's a very easy thing to do.

There's a reason why a lot of very high volume restaurants/bars in Manhattan will not split checks, and it's not to screw their customers. It's to prevent slowed service and walk outs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 06:55 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I don't like repeating myself so I won't. I've worked in probably two dozen bars and restaurants in a high volume setting. .
I think I have a pretty good idea why...

Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
I think I have a pretty good idea why...
Good OT commentary, but thank you, I like changing jobs because I like new environments and because I always make more money. That's the reason why I like to have two jobs and not one. Somehow within a month, I get all the closing duties and best shifts at both jobs so I must not be too awful. And I always post highest in sales.

Even the manager who I butt heads with the most at job #1 just told me last night that I'm "brilliant...and brilliant at what I do." *cue Irish accent for effect*

And my job keeps a record of how much of our sales we make in tips and more often than not I top 20%.

Now to stop tooting my own horn.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM

317 posts, read 576,266 times
if theyre close friends i.e. fellow Veterans I'll cover the whole bill and have them pay the tip

otherwise, its everyone add up their orders

Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
I said separate checks, not split checks.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I said separate checks, not split checks.
Separate checks are split checks because in server's POS systems, tabs are tables and tables are tabs.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
If a waitress refused to give us seperate checks, I would leave a tip of zero and never eat there again.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
If a waitress refused to give us seperate checks, I would leave a tip of zero and never eat there again.
Some high volume restaurants' policies are no split checks, and like I said, it's not to screw the customer, it's to make sure that everyone gets a high level of service and checks are paid.

Thank god you've never walked into any place I've worked, I'm doing just fine without your miserness.

Why do so many people have the mentality that things are done a certain way to screw them personally? Could there possibly be a *reason* for that other than a waitress/establishment trying to ruin their day? Of course not.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Get the final bill and divide by how many have eaten.

It's the only civilised way.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Separate checks are split checks because in server's POS systems, tabs are tables and tables are tabs.
I posted in here a couple times before. I never heard of such a thing! So, if I order a $10 meal, but the other person orders a $20 meal, it should NOT be split evenly, so we're each paying $15 + tip! I'll pay my $10 + tip & the other person can pay their $20 + tip. They chose to order that meal...not me. All the restaurants in my area, & there are a LOT in my area, since I live in one of the hearts of my city, do separate (not split) checks when I ask them without a problem. They better be glad I tell them up front when I'm ordering & not at the end of the meal.

I don't see the huge deal with this whole separate checks topic or why it's seen as sooooo complicated. The waiter rings everyone up separately (as if they're dining alone), so there are separate receipts, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships