Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The server asking for separate checks happens more often than not, at least in the places I've been recently. I go out to dinner with my parents or to happy hour with coworkers, and the waitress eyes us up and asks, "separate checks?" I guess I assumed that if they offered to do it, it wasn't a huge pain in the butt.
I can't think of a time recently when I've gone out in a group and we weren't asked if we wanted separate checks. Most of the time, if I go out to eat it's just with my husband and we just take turns paying.

I don't often go out in groups anymore. If we are asked about separate checks we say yes. Otherwise, everyone just pays cash for themselves or uses their card. I realize that some people think everything outside of NYC is a barren wasteland, but somehow we manage to survive just fine.

No, I haven't been "exposed" to NYC restaurants because I've never been to NYC and have no desire to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,200 times
I'm not saying that people outside of NYC are hicks but I don't understand the stares I get from I get from tourists ranging from blank to overtly hostile when I explain to them the concept of separate payments.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I'm not saying that people outside of NYC are hicks but I don't understand the stares I get from I get from tourists ranging from blank to overtly hostile when I explain to them the concept of separate payments.
No, you aren't outright stating that but that seems to be what you are implying. Why don't you just own it?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
we usually split the bill 50/50 unless the other couple has drinks then we usually assume they will pay for the drinks seperately , if not I usually say wow look how much those drinks are ? and the one couple we usually have dinner the guy says oh those are ours and how much ? or If after he says that I hand him the bill and all is well and taken care of and we have been friends with these ppl like forever .I enjoy their company and so does my husband . If it is a special occasion such as someone s birthday we usually pay for the whole thing or if it is my bday or my husbands they pay . i think if you enjoy the ppls company it can usually be worked out no need to get in a fuss about it ..

Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,395,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
What do POS systems have to do with turning tables? Also, the whole point of a POS is to standardize transactions, keep track of product, collect tax, record waste, etc.

Aloha and Micros are the two biggest POS systems in the game. They are popularly used because they are efficient and work well.

I personally have no problem with the way modern POS systems work.
Both Aloha and Micros, and virtually every other modern POS system, support split checks and individual seats per table. Your whole argument boils down to "I/We don't want to."

Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It really depends on which friends I am with, how many there are in our group, and how often we go out to eat together.

If it's a frequent thing and it's just a couple of us, then we just take turns picking up the whole bill.

Otherwise, if some in our group drink more alcohol than others, or if someone orders a really expensive entree (like a lobster), then it is only fair for each of us to pay exactly for what we ordered. And I have a couple of "dry" friends who especially don't want to pay for anyone else's alcoholic drinks... and I don't blame them for feeling that way.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Both Aloha and Micros, and virtually every other modern POS system, support split checks and individual seats per table. Your whole argument boils down to "I/We don't want to."
Obviously they do to an extent (there are different versions with very different features, and just because a system has seat numbers and ways to split a check doesn't mean they are integrated) and you haven't read the thread clearly. But my point reiterated in so many times in so many ways, is that there's a reason some high volume establishments ban its use entirely and it's not because they hate their patrons. Please re-read the entire thread and the posts I've made throughout it thanks.

My argument is I want to give the best possible service to all my patrons, not just the ones who want me to spend 15 minutes at the POS when I have 40 people in my section when this is entirely avoidable, very simply.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
It should be roughly based on what you order. But some people always want to spit the tab evenly.

When I am with the "tab splitters," I am at a huge disadvantage, as I rarely get alcohol with my meal. I've finally learned to just get something pricey, get a dessert, and take stuff home. That way I enjoy the company and avoid getting miffed about the tab!

Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
No, you aren't outright stating that but that seems to be what you are implying. Why don't you just own it?
But she--and I--are NOT saying that. We ARE saying that in the NY metro area, it's not considered good manners to do this. I don't understand why people are reading something into this practice that isn't there. No one is judging anyone.

I just went out to lunch with six coworkers and brought up the subject. Everyone looked puzzled at the notion that people would find it acceptable to ask for separate checks and a couple of them had stories of being embarrassed when going out to eat with people who asked the server to provide separate checks. It just is something that's not "done" here. It doesn't make anyone else in another part of the country right or wrong--it just is frowned upon here.

And until this thread happened, I had no idea that it was considered OK to ask for separate checks in most of the rest of the country.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times
Depends on which friends I'm dining with. With some, we just take turns picking up the entire check. With others we usually just toss in an equal amount and whatever is left over is the tip, which is ordinarily very generous.

I hate diddling around with who had what and people calculating the breakdown and how much to tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships