U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton, FL
5,131 posts, read 8,655,097 times
Reputation: 6076

Advertisements

This person is very quiet about their age and does not come near to looking it. He is a professional man and does not like a lot of fuss.

He also has to work a lot and does not share a lot of personal beliefs or ideas during his work day, however, a well meaning soul decided to "surprise" him with a birthday celebration - and the invite states it's a big one. (He needs to work at least another 15 years which is past retirement age)

The event is not in the office but quite a few are invited to a home celebration. I just found out but he does not know all the above but works to keep his age a secret. I know for a fact he will not be comfortable with it but I don't think I can stop this now.

Most of his buddies are 47-55.

When you get past a certain age, do people care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,948,107 times
Reputation: 4547
Why does a birthday celebration have to reveal his age? It's not like adults are counting candles anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton, FL
5,131 posts, read 8,655,097 times
Reputation: 6076
Smile I know it but....

I had done a transaction with him and he didn't even want to put his age on the application! I am one of the few that know his age and I just know he works hard to conceal it.

Ageism is rampant out there.

The woman who is hosting the "surprise" is a very kind person and she put out there "it's a BIG one" so I'm guessing on that.

I don't think he will think I told her but I know he is quiet and doesn't like fanfare.

He went to lunch recently with her husband. All I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 PM
 
35,121 posts, read 39,979,322 times
Reputation: 62022
No one has to tell their true age, there are many ways to get around answering directly. Personally I don't care and haven't cared ever about anyone knowing my true age. Well, I did care when I was drinking in bars before the legal age but that was the only time I cared.......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,279 posts, read 35,830,630 times
Reputation: 62636
I think that if this guy is as quiet and reserved as you imply, and apparently sensitive about his age, it's tacky for his coworkers to focus on his age and birthday. Apparently this party is NOT for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Reputation: 22370
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think that if this guy is as quiet and reserved as you imply, and apparently sensitive about his age, it's tacky for his coworkers to focus on his age and birthday. Apparently this party is NOT for him.
I agree. I have worked with others who are very age sensitive and not without reason! I was advised at 45 that since I looked younger, I should lie about my age, as getting closer to 50 every year was only going to work against me (in my industry). I knocked ten years off my age and it worked very well. What was so funny . . . I was coming up on my 50th birthday and was working on landing a contract . . . and the guy with whom I would be partnering (publisher) heard me say something about a birthday coming up. He said "was it a big one" and I assumed he had figured out I was going to 50 and I said "yes" and he replied . . . "Don't worry about it . . . My 40th birthday had me depressed for a few weeks and it turned out to be one of my best years. And btw, you don't look 40 anyway so just lie and no one will ever know you hit the big 4-0."

ROFLMAO.

Thank God for good genetics.

I think the OP is concerned that the gentleman may think SHE revealed his actual age when she absolutely DID NOT . . . and that the man is not going to enjoy being the center of attention at all = especially with having that attention focused on his age. It was wrong of the lady to make that comment about his having "a big birthday" coming up. I would be mad as hell if I were that guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,088 posts, read 17,504,228 times
Reputation: 10298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
...

When you get past a certain age, do people care?
I'm 41.

[i don't care]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 PM
 
Location: North Fulton
1,039 posts, read 2,033,241 times
Reputation: 600
I think if this guy is sensitive about his birthday and age and doesn't advertize it, maybe a surprise party is not what he would want.

Unfortunately, nowadays, it's easy to find out most people's ages online using those people-database websites consisting of public records.

Yes, age can be used against people who are seeking jobs, which seems to be going on now when things are tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton, FL
5,131 posts, read 8,655,097 times
Reputation: 6076
Smile Loved your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree. I have worked with others who are very age sensitive and not without reason! I was advised at 45 that since I looked younger, I should lie about my age, as getting closer to 50 every year was only going to work against me (in my industry). I knocked ten years off my age and it worked very well. What was so funny . . . I was coming up on my 50th birthday and was working on landing a contract . . . and the guy with whom I would be partnering (publisher) heard me say something about a birthday coming up. He said "was it a big one" and I assumed he had figured out I was going to 50 and I said "yes" and he replied . . . "Don't worry about it . . . My 40th birthday had me depressed for a few weeks and it turned out to be one of my best years. And btw, you don't look 40 anyway so just lie and no one will ever know you hit the big 4-0."

ROFLMAO.

Thank God for good genetics.

I think the OP is concerned that the gentleman may think SHE revealed his actual age when she absolutely DID NOT . . . and that the man is not going to enjoy being the center of attention at all = especially with having that attention focused on his age. It was wrong of the lady to make that comment about his having "a big birthday" coming up. I would be mad as hell if I were that guy.
True but "the big birthday" comment was within the e-mail invite asking a select few to bring a dish to the surprise event. The person in question was not on the email list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 AM
 
25,953 posts, read 26,670,768 times
Reputation: 26711
It's REAL easy to find out someone's age by just putting their name in the browser of your computer and hit enter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top