Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,448,442 times

Advertisements

Do you guys ever have days or weeks where every time you open your mouth, send an email or post something online you manage to offend people? I seem to go thro phases every few months where I just can't stop tripping over my own feet jamming themselves into my mouth! It would be funny if I wasn't upsetting people I work with and for . Thankfully my colleagues are somewhat forgiving but I'm beginning to wonder if there is some specific trigger that causes this condition, causing me to spend most of my day apologising to people?

Anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 02:06 PM

45 posts, read 285,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Do you guys ever have days or weeks where every time you open your mouth, send an email or post something online you manage to offend people? I seem to go thro phases every few months where I just can't stop tripping over my own feet jamming themselves into my mouth! It would be funny if I wasn't upsetting people I work with and for . Thankfully my colleagues are somewhat forgiving but I'm beginning to wonder if there is some specific trigger that causes this condition, causing me to spend most of my day apologizing to people?

Anyone else have this problem?
Perhaps it could be you - but then again we live in such a politically correct, charmless, dire times - that saying anything can cause offense - cracking a joke, having an opinion can create enemies - people are so self obsessed, egotistical, bitter, bitchy and vindictive these days and lacking in a sense of humour or humility, your best leaving them to their own devices and saying as little as possible to them especially in workplace or being very guarded in what you say, speak as if your speaking to them in crowd, don't open up and be too friendly - it just gives them options to take offence and gives them ammunition.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM

915 posts, read 2,124,071 times
To be frank, I *constantly* have problems. Many people (perhaps half of them or more) think I'm "snobby" (which I don't believe is even a word); they take issue with the way I write since it somehow offends their dignity if someone who is a perpetual bookworm, writes and speaks, reflecting that habit. It's horrible. And it doesn't just occur online (regularly and predictably) but in RL (real life), and since I was a child.

For example, the neighborhood kids ganged up on me once, and beat me up, throwing me across the front of a car..with my mother standing in the doorway of our house. She did nothing. They skipped me two grades in elementary school, but when I got to junior high, a coterie of little boys, lead by this French horn player, made fun of me and called me names, everywhere I went. And I was beautiful..it wasn't that. I was just "different." Then when I got to high school, a coterie of girls called me names: "What do you do on Friday nights, practice?" (er, yes, actually).

I try not to inspire this, but it's difficult not to, and eventually, sooner or later, it occurs--no matter how well meaning, kindly, or anything else, I may be. People just do not bloody frickin' like me, and there does not seem to be much I can do about it. (other than not post online at all, and stay a recluse at home).

However, I did attend an eminent university, and finished an undergraduate degree in 2 1/2 years. These were the happiest years of my life, because everyone was LIKE ME, nobody thought I was weird, special, or different, and it was heaven. Life, however, is not like one's undergraduate university program. Luckily, I'm still friends with a dozen of my classmates, who have achieved great things in the world. They still think I'm normal and loveable.

What to do about it? I have no idea. I wish someone would tell me.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
M.E. Bradshaw: there is a whole world of intelligent, funny GEEKS out there! It is cool to be a Geek, and really care about such things as grammar and syntax and good literature.

SO go thou and find thy tribe of Geeks and Freaks!

Remember: Steve Jobs was a Geek!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
M.E. Bradshaw: there is a whole world of intelligent, funny GEEKS out there! It is cool to be a Geek, and really care about such things as grammar and syntax and good literature.

SO go thou and find thy tribe of Geeks and Freaks!

Remember: Steve Jobs was a Geek!
I love you, anifani! Jobs wasn't dumb enough to post in public forums, if you get my drift.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.e.bradshaw View Post
I love you, anifani! Jobs wasn't dumb enough to post in public forums, if you get my drift.
I bet he would have if he had the time and who is to say he didn't create some obtuse name and post online. Who would know and think of the fun he would have had.

I love geeks and dorks and techno geeks and nerds and I happen to be married to a very fine geek and would not trade him for anyone or anything.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Now to answer the original question in the original post, YES I do stick both feet in my mouth often without intending to, I just find that some humans have little to no sense of humor and I do find it tough to relate to them on certain levels.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,448,442 times
Quote:
To be frank, I *constantly* have problems. Many people (perhaps half of them or more) think I'm "snobby" (which I don't believe is even a word); they take issue with the way I write since it somehow offends their dignity if someone who is a perpetual bookworm, writes and speaks, reflecting that habit. It's horrible. And it doesn't just occur online (regularly and predictably) but in RL (real life), and since I was a child.

For example, the neighborhood kids ganged up on me once, and beat me up, throwing me across the front of a car..with my mother standing in the doorway of our house. She did nothing. They skipped me two grades in elementary school, but when I got to junior high, a coterie of little boys, lead by this French horn player, made fun of me and called me names, everywhere I went. And I was beautiful..it wasn't that. I was just "different." Then when I got to high school, a coterie of girls called me names: "What do you do on Friday nights, practice?" (er, yes, actually).

I try not to inspire this, but it's difficult not to, and eventually, sooner or later, it occurs--no matter how well meaning, kindly, or anything else, I may be. People just do not bloody frickin' like me, and there does not seem to be much I can do about it. (other than not post online at all, and stay a recluse at home).

However, I did attend an eminent university, and finished an undergraduate degree in 2 1/2 years. These were the happiest years of my life, because everyone was LIKE ME, nobody thought I was weird, special, or different, and it was heaven. Life, however, is not like one's undergraduate university program. Luckily, I'm still friends with a dozen of my classmates, who have achieved great things in the world. They still think I'm normal and loveable.

What to do about it? I have no idea. I wish someone would tell me.
Do nothing. Haven't you heard? Geek is the new sexy

Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I bet he would have if he had the time and who is to say he didn't create some obtuse name and post online. Who would know and think of the fun he would have had.
Oh, you're right, aren't you. Probably on USENET at least -- but you're certainly right.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
Quote:
LOLOLOLOL.

Yes, I do get your drift!

He was spending his time creating all the stuff that has gotten us hooked on the internet!!!

ETA: I do think a lot of celebs and political figures and musicians are very active online. No telling who we are playing online games with, either!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships