Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times

Advertisements

The internet makes it possible to communicate with people for whatever reason (or no reason) in small chunks of time.

Sometimes a few minutes is all that people have, except the office busybodies who can't sit still for five seconds without wandering the whole floor and interrupting everyone who comes into view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Could be. I personally like message boards as a way to jog my mind aka procrastinate on major homework assignments and for the hell of it, a place for me to introvert my thoughts when I'm exhausted from daily "responsibilities."

My family members would describe me quite the opposite, otherwise.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,860,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Whenever I take the Meyers-Briggs I always come up a strong "I", but I'm not awkward or shy (I don't think. ) Like, this morning I had back to back to back meetings, and I feel totally zonked right now from having to be "on." I'm glad I can sit in my office with the door shut for the rest of the day.
Your post kinda says it all. You get drained being 'on'. Introverts expend energy when around other people, whereas extroverts gain energy around people. Shyness and awkwardness has nothing to do with being either an introvert or an extrovert. That's something else.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I started getting into message boards in high school. I've been an insomniac since I was a toddler. Basically it is a perfect time suck.

I have only had one instance where message board participation turned into something offline. Or vaguely offline. I did have a pen pal in college. OK email pals and we sent each other mix tapes.

It is just another way to connect with people that have different interests or that you wouldn't meet in real life.

All of the online communities I participate in cover topics that I don't know people in real life that do/care/etc.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:50 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I'm a strong introvert, and yet I do like conversations about things which interest me. Small talk just sound stupid. The internet as a whole is a great boon to those with specific interests and passions that make them act more social but are hard to find in 'daily life'. I've met a lot of freinds online. The reason I first came to Oklahoma was to visit a friend here and set up stuff for a convention (I did regrestration).

I also ended up moving here and wouldn't have guessed otherwise.

Introverts run a gamat, but even the less social among us have moments of contact, and since its often involving things which interest rather than small talk, message boards are perfect. There are many pages to look and yet it still more private than not.

I wonder how many who frequent board like this one particpate in and enjoy live chats, where it is often a small talk kind of conversation.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,029,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie ribbons View Post
I ask this because there are a lot of adult virgins and people who have never had a date before in their life posting here.

seems like introverts are more drawn to message boards in general..just my personal observation i could be wrong
First bit has no relation to me.

You could call me an introvert, maybe I just don't have many friends in the real world. Depending on which parts of the forums you frequent, you can find some really nice people to communicate with, that's why I'm here.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I'm a strong introvert, and yet I do like conversations about things which interest me. Small talk just sound stupid. The internet as a whole is a great boon to those with specific interests and passions that make them act more social but are hard to find in 'daily life'. I've met a lot of freinds online. The reason I first came to Oklahoma was to visit a friend here and set up stuff for a convention (I did regrestration).

I also ended up moving here and wouldn't have guessed otherwise.

Introverts run a gamat, but even the less social among us have moments of contact, and since its often involving things which interest rather than small talk, message boards are perfect. There are many pages to look and yet it still more private than not.

I wonder how many who frequent board like this one particpate in and enjoy live chats, where it is often a small talk kind of conversation.
Per the bolded sentence, that is a classic sign someone is an introvert. It is not that introverts don't like discussions/conversation, it is that they really only get energized from them if they are on topics that are of interest. Even if the topic is of interest, the comfort level is highest if it is one-on-one or with a small group (vs speaking on it to or amongst a large group of people).

Old 10-22-2012, 01:19 PM

956 posts, read 1,767,297 times
It is not right to say small talk is stupid. ..

Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
It is not right to say small talk is stupid. ..
Well technically, he/she said "small talk sound(s) stupid", not is stupid.

Since how something sounds to a person is subjective, I'm not sure anyone can say it is right or wrong to hold said opinion (although one could certainly disagree).

Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM

956 posts, read 1,767,297 times
So he did,I stand corrected. Small talk is simply one of the ays to strt bonding. You cannot really have a relatioship thru osmosis. Plus I find people who only talk when they need something from you not very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships