Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:21 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,111 times

Advertisements

I am 61 and have a friend age 71, he cannot let the past go. By this, I mean, he is always talking about how much better things were in the past 50's-60's, etc, and uses this phrase constantly "Ain't nothing like it used to be.".

After 3 or 4 years of hearing this , it finally got to the point, I just do not care to be around him due to that. If we traveled somewhere, his conversation was about either places he went years ago, or something he did growing up, I think you get the picture. He is single, and not educated, and instead of trying to adjust in today's world, tries to dwell in the 50's. There are many things that were good in the past, but I have enough perception to know back then, it wasn't perfect. And I don't endorse all that goes on in this time, but know embracing the past is not going to alter the present.

Guess I needed to vent, but I am sure if you are over 50, you have friends or acquaintances that are fixated about life years ago. I have trouble dealing with the present at times, without thinking about the past!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
I agree, there are some people who act like things should never change. Some things change for the better, some not. Things will always change, they need to learn to deal with it.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:45 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
Better now: Stock performance, internet, electronics, health care, safer vehicles.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Lemme guess...your friend is a white male.

Btw, they have shown in studies that we ALL romanticize the past.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM

884 posts, read 716,113 times
My guess is he has been in the Integrity vs. Despair stage of Eric Erikson's 8 stage's of life Psychosocial Development Theory for a while now

Old 11-06-2013, 07:35 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lemme guess...your friend is a white male. True.

Thanks to all that have replied, I didn't want to start a past vs present discussion, but people that you know or are friends with , who discuss the past or events in their past much more than normal.

My mother is 89, and other than the ocassional , remember the relative quote or she visited that place , is not transfixed on her past. I have found that uneducated people tend to go back to the past in their conversations , much more than any other group.

It got to be too much, hearing it from my friend that now, I only talk or visit him once in a while, and I had even mentioned his pre occupation with the past to him. If we traveled some where new and interesting, instead of absorbing the places, he was talking about the little red cow he had or how the Indians used to run through the woods, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I have not given him up as a friend, but have limited my endurance of eons ago.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:01 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
many look back thru nostalgic goggles,,,but often ,,they were more screwed up then, than now...
they just choose a revisionist perspective

i also think many people project what was better........ because they arent confortable in their own skin now

Old 11-07-2013, 05:40 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lemme guess...your friend is a white male.

Nice irrelevant toss of the race card.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:01 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,417 times
I find that people who are consumed in romanticizing the past do not take full benefit of the present - no matter what the age.

I had a close friend in his thirties who would always go back to his college fun days (don't we all, to some extent?) but it got to the point that I said "aren't you going to create any new fun times?" I avoided him for a few months - the good-old-day stories were too, too much. When we hung out again, he definitely made it a point to get himself some new experiences.

My mom has that attitude, but a bit more severe - along the lines of "today's society is terrible, perverse and nothing like it was in the past. I feel sorry for my grandchildren and what awaits them." I'm a big history buff and at times I am overcome with grief at what some people have had to go through (and continue to go through in some parts of the world) so I really lose my patience when people start lamenting the old days just because something is in the news about social media or nudity, etc.

I am with you, OP - you just can't hang out with people who don't want to live in the present.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:16 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
Technology is better today but society and family was better in the good old days in my opinion in MOST cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships