U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 PM

89 posts, read 218,340 times

Advertisements

GF thinks I'm making a big deal about this. So I'm curious what you think.

GF's sister will be house-sitting for 2 nights and just told us that a guy she's seen a few times will be over at our house for dinner while we're out of town. That probably means he's spending the night over and sleeping in our bed since they've had sex before.

I don't like it because it's some strange guy in my house with all my stuff/papers/etc. there, not to mention sleeping in my bed/sheets.

Do you think my GF is right that it's no big deal? She said I'm acting "crazy" for caring about this.

Btw, I never confronted the sister about this - just mentioned to my GF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:04 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,676,581 times
If you did not want her to have company, you should have stipulated this before you left. You think she is "Telling You" she thinks she's "Just letting you know." If you were going to act on this the time would have been when she mentioned it and you could have simply said, "Katy, I don't really feel comfortable with you having company over while we are out of town." Seems that opportunity has passed unfortunately.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,462,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker38 View Post
GF thinks I'm making a big deal about this. So I'm curious what you think.

GF's sister will be house-sitting for 2 nights and just told us that a guy she's seen a few times will be over at our house for dinner while we're out of town. That probably means he's spending the night over and sleeping in our bed since they've had sex before.

I don't like it because it's some strange guy in my house with all my stuff/papers/etc. there, not to mention sleeping in my bed/sheets.

Do you think my GF is right that it's no big deal? She said I'm acting "crazy" for caring about this.

Btw, I never confronted the sister about this - just mentioned to my GF.
"Hey, no house guests. If you want to have him as a guest, do it at your place."

And if she doesn't agree, don't bother having her house-sit. Get a timer for your lights, and if you have pets, board them for the two days or find a bonded pet-sitter to come and walk, feed, and play with them. Everything else can and will survive for two days without you there. It's not worth coming home to find things missing.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
If you did not want her to have company, you should have stipulated this before you left. You think she is "Telling You" she thinks she's "Just letting you know." If you were going to act on this the time would have been when she mentioned it and you could have simply said, "Katy, I don't really feel comfortable with you having company over while we are out of town." Seems that opportunity has passed unfortunately.

Well my GF asked the sister to house-sit. I just found about it. I guess she went ahead and asked her without telling me because she had asked her to do so once before when we went out of town.

I thought it's common courtesy that you don't bring people over to someone's house whom you're house-sitting for unless you ask them first.

I didn't realize I had to stipulate all possible scenarios or else have it deemed as me giving permission.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,996,116 times
No matter what your girlfriend thinks there is no way I would allow her sister to house sit since you already know she is planning to have a guy over. I would either not go out of town this weekend if possible and change the date to give you time to get a different plan put together to take care of the pets.

Even if you tell the sister no guests while you are gone you already know she is going to have the guy over.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
"Hey, no house guests. If you want to have him as a guest, do it at your place."

And if she doesn't agree, don't bother having her house-sit. Get a timer for your lights, and if you have pets, board them for the two days or find a bonded pet-sitter to come and walk, feed, and play with them. Everything else can and will survive for two days without you there. It's not worth coming home to find things missing.
Wish I could but problem is that my GF doesn't agree that it's a big deal.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 PM

43,409 posts, read 52,403,598 times
I think your gf's sister has demonstrated her level of maturity to you.
This is not a good candidate for a house sitter.
Polite grown adult people don't dictate to other people what will or will not happen in their homes.

Explain that to your gf.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,810,812 times
Lock all of your stuff up and then change the sheets when you get home. Don't dwell on it.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:17 PM

35,121 posts, read 39,996,116 times
Quote:

Your girlfriend doesn't think it's a big deal because it is HER sister and she is not thinking beyond the trust she has for her sister. This is something that your girlfriend should have discussed with you before she asked the sister since you do share the home. No matter what it is going to cause major issues with you and your girlfriend. So you can choose to not leave town or go ahead and leave but do not have the sister be at the house while you are gone. It really is that simple, but if you do not have the sister at the house make sure your girlfriend has not given the sister a key so she can go over anyway.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:18 PM

12,544 posts, read 12,462,523 times
Quote:
Sorry, but that says a lot about your girlfriend. She should respect your feelings. It's your home, too. If she wants to put her things at risk, that's one thing, but she's being awfully cavalier about your concerns regarding your papers and possessions. I would have a problem with that if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or