Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

Learning to live within a budget and plan for the future is part of maturing. Most people figure that out by 30. Sounds like your friend just needs to grow up a bit. Cold hard reality hits and we have no choice but figure it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
My father had this attitude. He yanked every extra curricular and sports activities and extra lessons of any kind and he said, and I quote, "Just what the hell will it do for you in life if you don't plan on doing it as a career - what the hell am I paying for?"

A lot. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it. It teaches you to be better at socializing, working as a team, setting goals, developing your own identity and becoming a more well rounded person. He has no friends, never did, except the ones he bought....what kind of life is that coming home and plopping down in front of the TV. Granted he worked hard and made a bloody fortune, but at what cost. He has no friends, he's on his third marriage and his own kids can't stand him or being around him....welcome to your world.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:47 AM

21 posts, read 39,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Learning to live within a budget and plan for the future is part of maturing. Most people figure that out by 30. Sounds like your friend just needs to grow up a bit. Cold hard reality hits and we have no choice but figure it out!
Unfortunately by the time they realize this it will be late already.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:20 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
You're right ViktorM90, but with people like your friend, there never is a right time. It's his life and he absolutely will live it doing what he feels gives him the most pleasure...some of us have certain priorities, some of us don't....I wouldn't try to figure it out, I have a young friend who's always broke, yet she sports a new multi-hundred doller tattoo on occasion...her priorities are hugely different than mine, but I would never hold it against her, that's just the way it is....variety is the spice of life.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Who gets to decide what's worthless? Your friend may get great enjoyment out of hookers and booze. He might think that spending money on restaurants and clothes is stupid. Everyone can do what they want, as long as it's not hurting others (which does make the hooker thing questionable, but still.)
I agree with fleetiebelle

Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
I personally enjoy drinking and going to bars. It brings me pleasure and positive experiences. Same reason I eat a variety of types of food. If I was focused solely on utilitarian value, I'd just eat vitamin enriched gruel.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times
Remember what's worthless to you may not be worthless for someone else. If you're not paying his bills and he isn't living in your house, don't worry about it.

Quote:
That's the reason why one of my friend is now broken. He wasted all his paycheck on nothing but hookers and clubs instead of focusing on slowly saving money to buy a new car, which he needs badly.
Quit giving him car rides and handouts (if you are), quit listening to his complaining if he is and it's bothering you. Then, you don't have to stress about him.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:11 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorM90 View Post
I would never spend even 5 minutes of my time on something that isn't productive at all.

For instance why would I waste tons of money, time and energy getting drunk on bars when I can spend it on food, buy myself new clothes and shoes, give donation to charity, do well in college or speak directly to important business owners and investigate about the aspects of being an owner of a corporation.
I don't necessarily know if they were drunk, but a couple I know met in a bar. They have a good marriage, several children together and support each other financially and emotionally.

Conversely, you can work hard, pour your savings into a business and it can tank because of the economy. Also, allowing your mind to relax and wander over non-productive territory can inspire new ideas or solutions to problems. I solved a problem from work that way during my commute. It had been so hectic keeping up with things at work I didn't have time to think about it. I looked out the window while day dreaming and I suddenly figured out a solution. I emailed it to myself, tried it the next day and it solved the problem.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:20 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
I would never spend even 5 minutes of my time on something that isn't productive at all.

For instance why would I waste tons of money, time and energy getting drunk on bars when I can spend it on food, buy myself new clothes and shoes, give donation to charity, do well in college or speak directly to important business owners and investigate about the aspects of being an owner of a corporation.

That's the reason why one of my friend is now broken. He wasted all his paycheck on nothing but hookers and clubs instead of focusing on slowly saving money to buy a new car, which he needs badly.
Then why are you his friend? People complain about their friends stupid habits but never step back and say "gee why am I friends with a stupid person?"

Old 10-19-2012, 04:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
He thinks one offers a better ride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships