U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:28 AM

5,641 posts, read 5,932,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
He seems selfish and short-sighted to me. Then again, when I was younger, I would have done the same. But at 29, I've lost track of the men and women my age and older who met someone in their twenties who end up telling someone (usually me if they know me) of how they met someone special in their twenties and let them go.

I'd bet my Louis Vuitton handbag collection that he will be crying into a shot of whiskey and whining about how he is single at 35, with no kids, living alone in a house/apartment and miserable.

Last May I met a man now 34 who is in this very same situation. Met the perfect woman at 25, but she didn't want to move but he did. He broke up with her. Now at 34, he makes good money but lives alone in his beach house, and is very sad and unhappy about what he has accumulated because he has no woman and no children to share it with.

It is not everyday in your life you will find someone special. A career is just a job that you might actually want to do, and not worth sacrificing someone special for. He could have gone to business school anywhere.

From experience, I can tell you, he will regret this later. I've lost track of the men and women who have done the same...and regretted it.
If he has no kids at 35, he's already successful, I don't think that would be an occasional to cry into his whiskey. More like celebrate not having a massive burden and responsibility that really has few if any benefits. I'm 35 and thankfully have no such bad fortunate. Not everyone is going to be all broken up over the fact they don't have a life saddled with responsibilities and little fun.

You should choose your career first if it's important to you, the rest will fall into place, unless you just want to be stuck being mediocre forever. You can't give up on your bigger dreams for other people or you'll just live a life of regret.

I moved to another city (my home town) for my GF, but I was already on my way out of the city I was living in. I didn't have any desire to stay, but I was going to Vegas. Now I've had a 7 year detour in Portland and within 2 years we'll be in Vegas, so it was about a decade-long pit stop. Worth it, but I didn't sacrifice my career for it, either.

I don't think your friend will have any regrets. It's not like they had been together for a long time by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 03:32 AM

666 posts, read 224,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
We're all around the same age, 26/27 years old. I'm a lil confused, pretty sure me and most of the other guys in the group thought he was gonna propose within the next year or so.
For once I agree with Beyonce...if you like it put a ring on it. Perhaps the young lady has some sense. Why should she tag along?

Old 07-31-2018, 04:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 33,462,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beentherecrushedthat View Post
Writing as one of the girls who have been left this way... the boy (that's not a man) made his decision without her in mind at all. He already knew what he wanted and since she wanted to stay near family and not move he tantrummed and left. I'm glad she wasn't pregnant! He probably cried a month tops and began noticing other women. She, undoubtedly by experience, still wonders how he could let their potential go that way- but that's just the fact. He didn't reciprocate what she felt, which was evident in his actions.
When you truly love someone, they become more than an option for you. When you love someone you put them first. Both doing that makes a positive relationship. In her defense if he could up and leave for knowledge he could have gotten through online courses, then she felt more for him than he did her.
I waited ten years for mine to even visit and the first year he had already started a new family. Don't believe Anyone who says they loved someone yet Could (and chose to) go daily without their heart suffering away from who they 'love'.

Love is compromise, and his reason was school/work... opportunities are Everywhere, he could have stayed and they gradually move together once she was feeling more grounded in the relationship ... which was probably rocky since he Could leave.
You know your perspective isnít exactly unbiased right? Calling him a boy, is that really necessary? Itís not like they were married 20 years. Opportunities are far too scarce these days to let a girlfriend (or boyfriend) of one whole year get in the way of that.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:17 AM

3,990 posts, read 1,708,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think if your boy has a chance to get premier business school on his resume, he should take the opportunity if he is willing to make the sacrifices. I personally would do the same thing he did in a heartbeat. You don't get too many opportunities to distinguish yourself from the crowd where I'm from and you should not let a girlfriend (who obviously he was not really invested in) hold you back. He made his stance clear, she did not want to go, he decided that he could not deal with a LDR or stay and get held back, I think the fair thing was done here.
He has not even been accepted anywhere yet. For all we know, he could have an undergrad GPA of 2.0 and have been working in McDonaldís this whole time and not otherwise be appealing to Wharton despite his GMAT score. We also donít know anything about the woman in question. She might have a decent career and doesnít want to uproot it for two years and uproot it again in another two years. This is completely reasonable since women now get the bulk of college degrees and are just as interested in having good careers as men in 2018.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:53 AM

5,104 posts, read 5,405,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
He has not even been accepted anywhere yet.
He's probably already graduated. This thread was started almost 6 years ago.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:03 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,461,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Edit: Thinking about it a little more, it looks like he chose his career over his girlfriend. Whether that's right or wrong, it's subjective IMO. He seems to be holding up.
His career will hopefully last the rest of his life. He has already put a lot of work and schooling into it to get to where he is today. He'd been with this girl for a year. I'd say he'd known by now if she was the one. Since she wasn't, it sounds like he has his head on straight. Long distance relationships are hard, too

Old 07-31-2018, 09:04 AM

Crap. Just realized I replied to a six year old post.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,100,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
He's probably already graduated. This thread was started almost 6 years ago.
Or maybe never even made it to business school.

Who keeps bumping these old threads?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Who keeps bumping these old threads?
Go to the last post on Page 7. It was bumped by someone who as I type this has exactly one post on C-D.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:40 AM

9,829 posts, read 5,033,769 times
The OP is still active on C-D. Hopefully he'll see this thread and give us an update on his friend! I'm curious how things turned out for him. Is he crying into his whiskey about still being single, as another poster suggested/bet? He might not be at the 35 year old mark yet, but I wonder how he's tracking, and if I can get on that Louis Vuitton bag collection bet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships