U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2015, 11:16 AM
 
26,323 posts, read 24,433,196 times
Reputation: 16007

Advertisements

America has to learn, to stop interfering in the lives of others....

i.e. I get up at 4 a.m., and at work we have a work your hours system...
so, people ask me, with a face, "What the heck time do you get up?" When I tell them, they act as if I'm some alien....and then talk about it, like I've just committed a crime. that is the sickness in people....
they are incapable of allowing others their belief systems and life styles, if it doesn't align with theirs.

I've gotten up early all my life....and love the quiet of early morning before sun rise, when the moon, is sinking to the west and the sun is awakening in the east....so what, so, that makes me a bad person.

I swear, the gossip in America is pathetic....people know more about the stars, or dancing with the stars, then they do their own political system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2015, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Cape Coma Florida
1,369 posts, read 1,853,815 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post

I always find its walking on eggshells with people - The less you say to them the less options/angles they have to take offence and cause an argument, get upset or get sucked into their games, nonsense and drama - I realize its probably bit cynical but its my experience of a lot of people. Although not everyone, there people I get on with.
You are not alone in your observations, and some of us really appreciate you starting this thread. Yes, walking on eggshells is very common now, and especially so since the invention of the "micro-aggression" which is any small petty thing they can accuse you of no matter how small and petty. You failed to smile while they were dumping all their issues on you, or you winced, or didn't seem to be paying attention. Aha! That's a MICRO-AGGRESSION you horrible bigoted racist fascist evil person!

How very sad we have come to this, that we have to scrounge for ever more petty things to go at each other with. I so very much want to get away from people and society. It's a really sick and twisted scene anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2015, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,573 posts, read 24,922,442 times
Reputation: 20811
I love being alone, i find everyone annoying, including my 3 sons. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2015, 11:11 AM
 
Location: State of Washington (2016)
3,552 posts, read 2,376,381 times
Reputation: 13790
Its really silly but when I'm walking my dog early in the morning, I love it when the streets are free of people. When I encounter someone walking towards us, I am a little annoyed and wish they would cross the street or go in a different direction. I know, I know, I don't own the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2015, 11:56 AM
 
26,323 posts, read 24,433,196 times
Reputation: 16007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Its really silly but when I'm walking my dog early in the morning, I love it when the streets are free of people. When I encounter someone walking towards us, I am a little annoyed and wish they would cross the street or go in a different direction. I know, I know, I don't own the streets.
No, it's not silly, honestly, I'm up at 4 a.m. and love the peace and quiet of the early morning...but honestly, if I were younger, I'd move to Canada and/or Alaska....I would love it, except for those cold winters, but being alone, without traffic and noise, would be wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2015, 12:21 PM
 
208 posts, read 187,478 times
Reputation: 1033
I agreed with a couple of posters who said they didn't like the gossip when they went out with other women. I find that the more I go out among people, the more I find myself getting drawn into bad traits such as criticism, gossip, resentment, envy...I find that when I limit my involvement with people, I feel better about myself because I'm more at peace, more inclined to look at the positive side of others and the good things in my life. I mean non-essential involvement with non-essential people. I have to be around people at work and there's nothing I can do about that.

Yes, people are a real PIA. I could give you about 10 examples from my past week. Such as the friend who is pushing the limit on my kindness. The neighbor who puts his face over my fence every time I'm outside and makes comments about things that aren't his business. Or the neighbors who decide to run a loud saw on a beautiful Sunday evening between 7 pm and 9 pm just when you are trying to wind down and enjoy the evening breezes and the quiet in the backyard. Or the neighbors who leave their barking dog outside for hours and hours. I could expound forever on the coworkers but don't have time right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2015, 07:37 AM
 
26,323 posts, read 24,433,196 times
Reputation: 16007
Quote:
daisy2010 I agreed with a couple of posters who said they didn't like the gossip when they went out with other women. I find that the more I go out among people, the more I find myself getting drawn into bad traits such as criticism, gossip, resentment, envy...I find that when I limit my involvement with people, I feel better about myself because I'm more at peace, more inclined to look at the positive side of others and the good things in my life. I mean non-essential involvement with non-essential people. I have to be around people at work and there's nothing I can do about that.
this bought to mind several neighbors...I had gone against my inner feelings about this, due to experiences in the past, but didn't listen...and two of the girls that were going out with us every Friday, became a little to hard to take...one monopoloized the conversations, all of them centered around her and the other one was the same...anyway, I wasn't happy, so I stopped going, then two more stopped going...

and then I stopped going all together, do you know they went back to the one who was so controlling? That to me, is a sign of weakness....in other words, you'll compromise your identity and beliefs, just to have someone to be with? Wow? And they talked about her terrible!


Quote:
Yes, people are a real PIA. I could give you about 10 examples from my past week. Such as the friend who is pushing the limit on my kindness. The neighbor who puts his face over my fence every time I'm outside and makes comments about things that aren't his business. Or the neighbors who decide to run a loud saw on a beautiful Sunday evening between 7 pm and 9 pm just when you are trying to wind down and enjoy the evening breezes and the quiet in the backyard. Or the neighbors who leave their barking dog outside for hours and hours. I could expound forever on the coworkers but don't have time right now.
I believe the older you grow, the less tolerant you'll become....regarding the friend who is pushing the limit...tell her kindly, what is bothering you, if she gets mad and walks away, no loss....and the neighbor who puts his face over the fence, tell him straight out, "its none of your business", or just simply turn and walk away. I do that...b/c after a while, you don't care what people think of you, if they are intruding in your life, then you need to tell them....

and yes, on all the other disturbances, and that is why I like the country and no neighbors....

when we were kids outside playing, our parents used to tell us to keep it down or come in, b/c we had neighbors living on top of each other, and today, parents don't do that, they don't consider other people, so they're kids won't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 AM
 
Location: Pac. NW
2,015 posts, read 1,511,060 times
Reputation: 3601
I really do like to be out and about, among people. Especially downtown when there's lots of hustle and bustle. People are interesting to watch, that's for sure.

But I do NOT want to talk to anyone, and get really annoyed when there are two or more idiots who are half asleep blocking the walkway.

Anyone who I have to make eye contact with or say "excuse me" to get around should get hit by a car.

And if I see someone I know I usually look the other way, because most people don't know when to shut up and go back to what they were doing after you greet each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,228 posts, read 12,031,273 times
Reputation: 16549
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
...because most people don't know when to shut up
and go back to what they were doing after you greet each other.
Gotta perfect the 'getaway phrase'...practice it til it is second nature...1 rule is 'never lie'...

You look at your watch, "Hey, I gotta get going...great seeing you!" And smile.

You look at your watch, "Hey, I'm on my way to feed the parking meter,
I really have to run." And smile.

"Hey, you look great, I'm meeting my 'blank' and I'm already a little late, You look great!" And smile.

Clients that linger and linger..."Well, I gotta walk the dog before my next appt."
"Well, I have to check my messages and eat something before my next appt."
"Hey , I gotta get goin'." Looking at my watch and smile or hug goodbye.

But, get rid of them politely at all costs. Leave them with an upbeat remark, tho.
"Always nice seeing ya, Sharon."
"You're looking younger everyday , Mrs Smith."
"Always a pleasure, say hi to Tommy for me."
AND SMILE!

And invitations..."Oh that date isn't going to work."
"Oh, that Friday I'm busy." (They don't need to know it's bec you're taking a bubble bath
and watching TV) Never lie.

"Oh, June 22nd? That weekend I think either I'm going to visit my blank,
or they are coming down."

"I'll probably be outta town that weekend." Then, go to the neighboring town and shop...never lie.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Princeton
1,078 posts, read 1,118,828 times
Reputation: 2137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Gotta perfect the 'getaway phrase'...practice it til it is second nature...1 rule is 'never lie'...

You look at your watch, "Hey, I gotta get going...great seeing you!" And smile.

You look at your watch, "Hey, I'm on my way to feed the parking meter,
I really have to run." And smile.

"Hey, you look great, I'm meeting my 'blank' and I'm already a little late, You look great!" And smile.

Clients that linger and linger..."Well, I gotta walk the dog before my next appt."
"Well, I have to check my messages and eat something before my next appt."
"Hey , I gotta get goin'." Looking at my watch and smile or hug goodbye.

But, get rid of them politely at all costs. Leave them with an upbeat remark, tho.
"Always nice seeing ya, Sharon."
"You're looking younger everyday , Mrs Smith."
"Always a pleasure, say hi to Tommy for me."
AND SMILE!

And invitations..."Oh that date isn't going to work."
"Oh, that Friday I'm busy." (They don't need to know it's bec you're taking a bubble bath
and watching TV) Never lie.

"Oh, June 22nd? That weekend I think either I'm going to visit my blank,
or they are coming down."

"I'll probably be outta town that weekend." Then, go to the neighboring town and shop...never lie.


Well done, honesty is one of the "six core values" we should all carry on with. Btw, I love your hello hello / goodbye 'Getaway phrase", it works for me, I'll have to remember some tonight, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top