Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm mid 30s. But that's kinda middle aged, depending on whom you ask.

I would like to expand my social network and make new friends. My social network has dwindled since some friends have gotten married and slowed down and I'm not happy with the amount of friends that I have, either close ones or acquaintances.

I would describe myself as a loner, but sociable, as in when I'm out, I'm approachable and talkative, but I don't go out a lot these days. I also have activities which keep me very busy alone. But, I'm the most loyal friend if you know me.

I have made several attempts to be more social over the course of my adulthood, but find that...
1) I feel I almost put in more effort than the other person to maintain or even keep a friendship. Most of the lost friendships that I've had, have been lost because I would try and keep in touch, and they would not. I know this is not the case for everybody, because some of my friends have kept in touch with many of their old friends. This gets frustrating, and I eventually give up.

2) I don't feel like I'm a very interesting person. I don't feel like anybody ever wants to get to know me, if you know what I mean. I'm just kind of a nice guy who is ... meh. It seems in adulthood, if you want to break another person's social circle, you need to be able to offer them something exciting.

3) I rarely call people on the phone. I only text, and don't even text that many people with that much regularity. This is the way I have always been, kinda. I would like to get on the phone more often, but it seems kinda awkward to start calling friends on the phone every week whom you almost have never talked to on the phone the many years you have known them. Anybody get what I mean here?

Is it too late for me to make some improvements in this area of my life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 01:22 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well, I'm mid 30s. But that's kinda middle aged, depending on whom you ask.

I would like to expand my social network and make new friends. My social network has dwindled since some friends have gotten married and slowed down and I'm not happy with the amount of friends that I have, either close ones or acquaintances.

I would describe myself as a loner, but sociable, as in when I'm out, I'm approachable and talkative, but I don't go out a lot these days. I also have activities which keep me very busy alone. But, I'm the most loyal friend if you know me.

I have made several attempts to be more social over the course of my adulthood, but find that...
1) I feel I almost put in more effort than the other person to maintain or even keep a friendship. Most of the lost friendships that I've had, have been lost because I would try and keep in touch, and they would not. I know this is not the case for everybody, because some of my friends have kept in touch with many of their old friends. This gets frustrating, and I eventually give up.

2) I don't feel like I'm a very interesting person. I don't feel like anybody ever wants to get to know me, if you know what I mean. I'm just kind of a nice guy who is ... meh. It seems in adulthood, if you want to break another person's social circle, you need to be able to offer them something exciting.

3) I rarely call people on the phone. I only text, and don't even text that many people with that much regularity. This is the way I have always been, kinda. I would like to get on the phone more often, but it seems kinda awkward to start calling friends on the phone every week whom you almost have never talked to on the phone the many years you have known them. Anybody get what I mean here?

Is it too late for me to make some improvements in this area of my life?
There is no reason in this age bracket that one cannot become social. Reason is i think is that most will have matured and experienced life more by this time. As far as not being interesting there is no reason you have to be Indiana Jones or an extreme athlete to bring something to the table. As you speak to people and socialize you will find others with at least some of your interests. You sound intelligent and I am sure you will do just fine here.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:11 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,634 times
It's a weird mix. I've become more confident and outgoing as I've dealt with some self-esteem problems I had, which probably stemmed from some family/childhood stuff. So while I feel more social, in my 40s, opportunities to socialize aren't as plentiful as they were in my 20s and 30s. There's a lot more socializing in college, grad school and entry level jobs than there is in one's 40s. Most of the friends are married and have children. I've stayed friends with nearly all of them, but they understandably don't have as much free time to socialize as they used to.

I have some younger friends. I've also become more friendly with some people I didn't know that well in high school via Facebook and off line socializing with them (dinner, lunch, etc.)

I've recently started to learn about photography. I've always liked taking photos, but I've been a point & click person up until very recently. I'm still learning about exposure. I'm thinking of taking a class. Then I might try some meet up photography groups. I suppose I could do that now, but it takes me awhile to get the concepts. I find the way I "get" it is to just take a bunch of photos of the same thing and play with ISO/aperture/shutter speed. But this can take awhile (I basically take photos at a park because landscape stands still pretty much without complaint I hope to work my way up to people ) So right now, I think I'd probably just slow down a more experienced group of photographers. But when I get the basics down, I think it could be a fun social outlet to meet other people interested in photography.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:38 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
One can definitely become more social as one ages especially if one was very shy when one was younger. Nowadays being in one's 30s is definitely not considered middle-aged in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships