U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:42 PM

5,663 posts, read 4,373,144 times

Advertisements

I'm not a regretting type of person, it isn't productive. I'm more a learning one, gained knowledge is useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:40 AM

9,048 posts, read 14,317,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
How do you handle past regrets?

I married someone years ago that I knew I shouldn't have, but I did it anyway because I didn't know what else to do. Actually I was too afraid to say how I really felt.

I wasn't a kid, I was 30.

That's just one of things I regret and wish I could change. There are many.

People will say that you learn from mistakes but it seems like I just keep making these mistakes.

I have accepted jobs that I knew I didn't want. And failed miserably at them. I had jobs that started out good but then changed. I should have left but felts "trapped" and stayed until I was finally laid off with everyone else.

I do think of people like Arnold Schwarzenegger, who had a marriage and family, but never let anyone get close. Plus, he cheated on Maria. Now at 65 he is getting a divorce. If he didn't make those mistakes with those women, and if he had let Maria get close to him, he could still be married and enjoying his family.

Of course, I'm not Arnold or anything, but it just makes me see that anyone can make a big mistake.

My question to you, if how to handle these life mistakes? Losing someone you really love, giving up a child, giving up on a career, friends, family, whatever.

I mean, how do you go on and be ok with life and what's happened in yours?
Self examination goes a long way. Ask yourself what, at the core, contributed to these situations and make the necessary changes. Accept that you were who/what you were back then and work on forgiving yourself. I don't think you can if you haven't actually made those changes. Both are liberating.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM
YAZ

7,075 posts, read 11,840,791 times
I've made mistakes and learned from them.

My only regrets are the people that I've told.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:42 PM

3,160 posts, read 6,938,188 times
Quote:
How to handle these life mistakes? Losing someone you really love, giving up a child, giving up on a career, friends, family, whatever.
Everyone in life makes mistakes. There's no exception to this. While it's true some people make HUGE mistakes, everyone regrets some things in life. The trick is: move on and don't regret the past, it's a total waste of time.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,617,927 times
You have to quit making the same mistakes because you're supposed to learn from your mistakes.

The problem with regrets is that you really cannot go back into the past and change anything. And what you did that was a mistake probably seemed right or at least at the time, it was further knowledge that proved it wasn't. Hindsight is 20-20 they say. And someone else maybe have done the exact same thing and had it work out - so really there's no real point in regretting, life is too short for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships