U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,546,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
My step-brother is white, my step-sister-in-law is black. When they were both in the military, he found he had more in common when it came to musical tastes, etc. with black enlistees from urban or semi-urban or suburban areas than many of the white enlistees he met.
I think that the black community, on a percentage basis, has pumped out much better musical work than has the white/Latino community, since at least Motown.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,960,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Kudos to the black guy or gal who has no problem with "sounding" white (or should I say American), hits the books, and makes something of themselves.
NEWSFLASH: MOST black kids make something of themselves.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 8 days ago)

47,722 posts, read 45,337,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengdog View Post
I'm white, and I grew up in a very ethnically diverse area, and I also attended an ethnically diverse school where there were a lot of Blacks and Latinos. My best friend and girlfriend are black.

Now I'm in my first year of college and I'm far from home and apparently, according to some people here, I act "black." Yes, "act black," as if every single black person on the planet falls under one single characterization. When I ask them why they think I act black, they cite the fact that I listen to a lot of jazz, old skool hip-hop, soul, funk and old-style RnB. They also cite the fact that I play and watch a lot of basketball as being another corroborating factor, along with my best friend and girlfriend both being black.

Yes, it's true, my favourite genres of music have been pioneered and dominated by black artists and yeah, the NBA is something like 80% black, but just because someone enjoys certain music driven by a certain group and just because someone enjoys a sport that is dominated by a certain group, it doesn't mean that person is some kind of self-hating character. And apparently, it's completely impossible to have friends or lovers of a different race without some kind of ulterior motive.

There's also a black guy in my class and people say he acts "white" behind his back. The reason? Well, this guy is really smart but also really introverted; the only time he really talks is in class, and he spends most of his time on his own. He doesn't go to parties and a lot of the time he's in the library, studying.

Apparently blacks are incapable of being smart and silent.

Am I the only one who finds these broad generalizations and stereotypes absolutely ridiculous?
I do find it ridiculous. I've been through alot of this. I've been derided for "acting White". I've even written a blog entry about this subject.

Evergreen Journal: WTF is "acting White"???

Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 PM

27,145 posts, read 29,578,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
But we are those "exceptions" that we keep hearing about.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:24 PM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,563,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I really hate to disagree with you, but I don't think that you cant state that "MOST" black make something of themselves... otherwise, why else is there such a concern for the inner city (aka black and Hispanic) students and the creation of programs such the Boston METCO bussing and No Child Left Behind ones when the Asian students do extremely well no matter what environment they are put into?

I am not disagreeing with the potential of black kids, but so far the vast majority of them are struggling academically.... and if I am wrong, PLEASE let Obama and the city school administrators know so that they can stop worrying about these kids and stop asking for extra funding.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:26 PM
miu

17,105 posts, read 34,563,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, whites also do much the same thing with each other (and didn't Spike Lee explore this theme, based on when he attended an all-black college, in School Daze)?!
True. Kids of the same race and sex bully each other too because of their differences (skinny vs fat, jocks vs nerds, pretty vs ugly, rich vs poor)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships