Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,012,182 times

Advertisements

I do a lot of things and give a lot but never expect to be thanked. I notice some people get agitated when they don't get thanked for their good deeds like holding doors open, when giving a gift, helping in any way, etc. I always try my best to remember to say thank you. Sometimes people point out that someone didn't tell me thank you for something I did or gave. It doesn't phase me because I'm not doing things to be thanked. I'm doing things because they need to get done or they are just the right things to do. I actually feel a little surprised when I get thanked for whatever. What about you? Do you expect to be thanked for your "good deeds"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 AM

399 posts, read 703,854 times
Depends on who I do things for. If it's my kids, I do expect them to say thank you for something I've done for them. If it's a stranger, no, not really, but it's nice when you're acknowledged for what you've done for someone. I don't expect it however because it's like lending money. If you lend money, don't expect it back. Just my philosphy. I would rather give money than lend because half the time, it's either forgotten that they borrowed or they never have it to give back. So I don't expect, but it's nice when we do get that "Thank you."

JMHO

Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,680,909 times
I say "Thanks". Short and sweet. It gets to the point. However, if I do the deed then I'm not expecting it so if someone says thanks then it is what it is.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,898,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell030681 View Post
Depends on who I do things for. If it's my kids, I do expect them to say thank you for something I've done for them. If it's a stranger, no, not really, but it's nice when you're acknowledged for what you've done for someone. I don't expect it however because it's like lending money. If you lend money, don't expect it back. Just my philosphy. I would rather give money than lend because half the time, it's either forgotten that they borrowed or they never have it to give back. So I don't expect, but it's nice when we do get that "Thank you."

JMHO
Maybe its me but sometimes I feel not always saying please and thankyou to family members is a sign of familarity, not that we don't do it at all, its just understood.

Id say people more expect to be thanked so they take no response as a sign of rudeness.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:31 AM

4,243 posts, read 7,154,509 times
Yes, sometimes I do. But Im usually the one doing the thanking...sending out brief thank you notes, usually...

Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM

29,687 posts, read 34,222,963 times
My brother and his family live in Florida, and every year I send them birthday cards, Christmas gifts, etc., for which I am never thanked. They're family, so I'm not expecting profuse gratitude, but I do think it's rude to not acknowledge a gift or a good deed. It doesn't take long to shoot off at least a "got your package! Thanks!" text or email.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,153,301 times
It's nice to be thanked but I don't always look for it or expect it. Like someone else said, it is what it is.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,170,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I do a lot of things and give a lot but never expect to be thanked. I notice some people get agitated when they don't get thanked for their good deeds like holding doors open, when giving a gift, helping in any way, etc. I always try my best to remember to say thank you. Sometimes people point out that someone didn't tell me thank you for something I did or gave. It doesn't phase me because I'm not doing things to be thanked. I'm doing things because they need to get done or they are just the right things to do. I actually feel a little surprised when I get thanked for whatever. What about you? Do you expect to be thanked for your "good deeds"?

I always say "you're welcome" if there is no sign of gratitude, simply because it's good manners to say "thank you" for someone who has done something for you. Most people have the good graces to be embarrassed and say, "OMG, yes. That was rude of me. Thank you." Then maybe they'll remember to thank the next person who does something for them.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:24 PM

30,342 posts, read 16,082,314 times
I don't expect to be thanked for a card but a pkg-even just a 'I got it'.

As for face to face things like holding doors, etc no. But sometimes a smile or nod or even just a look of relief says thanks too.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,635,005 times
I don't expect to be thanked, but if I go out of my way for some random person and they blow me off, I find that somewhat irritating.

If someone goes out of their way to extend a courtesy to me, then I'll do the same to acknowledge the courtesy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships