Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM

548 posts, read 891,021 times

Advertisements

I was talking to this guy who lived 3 hours away and we were going to hit the 1 week of knowing each other mark. But since I had a bad day yesturday and told the guy I felt worthless and not worth his time he took that seriously and said I was pushing him away and was hurting him. So he stopped talking to me altogether.

Another problem is my mom keeps bugging me to go out and get a job. BUT here's the thing I GOT NO EXPERIENCE I have OLD retail experience that was a week to 2 months long and is from years ago.

Now I just got magazine writing experience and since I don't got a degree no higher quality magazine or newspaper is even going to look my way no matter the amount of experience I have there.

So I pretty much give up on life. I have applied and tried time and time again with dating guys and applying for work etc. And nothing is coming up right I think positive and happy but still nothing works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
You'll never get anywhere by just thinking happy, positive thoughts. You have to go out and DO SOMETHING.

Are you afraid of rejection or just afraid of work?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
You're grown, right? Do you think that any well rounded, adult male is going to be interested in someone who isn't working, doesn't even try to find a job, is living at home and has bouts of depression? How many red flags can you wave in the air at one time?

Get up, get a job - ANY JOB - get out of that house. Get a physical and see if you need to be on some sort of meds to handle your depression. My hunch is that your depression is a NORMAL reaction, though, to a life that is simply not developing. No one can do this for you. You have to take charge of your life yourself.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-26-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-26-2012, 01:33 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,470,817 times
What magazine could you possibly write for?

Old 10-27-2012, 02:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
I was talking to this guy who lived 3 hours away and we were going to hit the 1 week of knowing each other mark. But since I had a bad day yesturday and told the guy I felt worthless and not worth his time he took that seriously and said I was pushing him away and was hurting him. So he stopped talking to me altogether.

Another problem is my mom keeps bugging me to go out and get a job. BUT here's the thing I GOT NO EXPERIENCE I have OLD retail experience that was a week to 2 months long and is from years ago.

Now I just got magazine writing experience and since I don't got a degree no higher quality magazine or newspaper is even going to look my way no matter the amount of experience I have there.

So I pretty much give up on life. I have applied and tried time and time again with dating guys and applying for work etc. And nothing is coming up right I think positive and happy but still nothing works.
You can get some experience by volunteering. People can usually get hired at nursing homes to be nurse aides.....get certified as a CNA and you can get a job...good luck

Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
Quote:

When you tell a guy you hardly know or even one you really know that you feel worthless and not worth his time it's a red flag. Unless he has the savior mentality it's going to turn him off. As for the job thing, don't be picky. Take any job. Also try a temp agency. These won't be glamorous jobs but they will give you money and experience. Try school. University, community college, trade school- something. Oh and you sound depressed. Get help for that.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
You have a lot of good suggestions on here and it's imperative that you take heed. Taking care of your depression will assist you in making decisions and getting out from the trap you've made for yourself. You cannot live off your parents forever. Doing so traps them as well as yourself. One of my friends has a 29-yr-old daughter at home who's never wanted to work, but she couldn't bring herself to push the girl out the door. Now she's raising a grandchild as well.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 AM

657 posts, read 716,892 times
you seem too negative..... just stop being so hard on your self. life is hard enough. keep trying and one day your get it right.
may god bless you and see let you see that you are not worthless.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:

Why would you tell him you are worthless and not worth his time if you wanted to keep talking with him? What did you expect him to do? Were you just playing some game, expecting he would heap praise on you for saying that?

I agree with others who suggest getting any job. Retail and magazines aren't all that's out there. Start with that. A job will make you a more interesting person, even to yourself. If you are productive and doing something with yourself, you won't feel as worthless and wouldn't be so apt to inform others of your worthlessness. If you really can't find a paying job, then volunteer with something.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:24 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
What magazine could you possibly write for?
I'm so glad someone else was thinking that.

Back to the OP. Guess what? Happiness is not a state of being. Instead, it needs to be an action verb. If you don't get up off your butt, convince yourself that you have value, take care of yourself, and keep trying to find gainful employment, then your bad self-esteem becomes self-fulfilling.

The world rewards people who try and punishes those who don't. I wish I could sugar coat matters, but that's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships