Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 09:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times

Advertisements

The poster who started this topic about his couch-surfing friend must have been reading my mind, because I let a good gal pal lease my spare bedroom after her fiance kicked her out. It just so happened that the person renting from me had just moved out, and because my friend had a pretty decent job at the time, I assumed she could pay her share of the rent.

What followed was two years of economic toil. I don't want to go into how many thousands of dollars she ended up costing me. If I bought food, she'd eat it. If I bought new make-up, she'd use it. A few times, she took money from my purse without asking. It was literally like supporting an adult child. What really pissed me off is that she was always out partying and spending what meager wages she made on entertainment and clothes. After she totaled the car of another one of our good friends, I finally called her father -- this woman was almost 40 years old -- and told him that he and the rest of her family had to do something. She ended up moving to another state to live with her dad. He offered to repay me, but the only thing that I asked of him was that he teach her how to be self-sufficient so that he wouldn't have to worry about her. Because I really was concerned.

Fast-forward a year later, and I'm not angry with her anymore. Even the friend whose car she totaled is ready to forgive her, and he was pure livid. I recently found out that her father is terminally ill, and she's taking care of him. I'm thinking about extending the olive branch, because I've been through that myself.

Would you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 PM

256 posts, read 480,205 times
Sure, why not. You sound ready.
Forgiveness is necessary, it's not healthy to hold a grudge.
The important thing is not to forget the lesson she taught you

I am grateful to all my "teachers", without them I would not be who I am today

Old 09-12-2013, 09:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Hell no! You don't know if she changed at all. Did she ever apologize? You were too passive the first time - what makes you think you could stand up to her now? I mean, two years? Three months would have been too much.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
The poster who started this topic about his couch-surfing friend must have been reading my mind, because I let a good gal pal lease my spare bedroom after her fiance kicked her out. It just so happened that the person renting from me had just moved out, and because my friend had a pretty decent job at the time, I assumed she could pay her share of the rent.

What followed was two years of economic toil. I don't want to go into how many thousands of dollars she ended up costing me. If I bought food, she'd eat it. If I bought new make-up, she'd use it. A few times, she took money from my purse without asking. It was literally like supporting an adult child. What really pissed me off is that she was always out partying and spending what meager wages she made on entertainment and clothes. After she totaled the car of another one of our good friends, I finally called her father -- this woman was almost 40 years old -- and told him that he and the rest of her family had to do something. She ended up moving to another state to live with her dad. He offered to repay me, but the only thing that I asked of him was that he teach her how to be self-sufficient so that he wouldn't have to worry about her. Because I really was concerned.

Fast-forward a year later, and I'm not angry with her anymore. Even the friend whose car she totaled is ready to forgive her, and he was pure livid. I recently found out that her father is terminally ill, and she's taking care of him. I'm thinking about extending the olive branch, because I've been through that myself.

Would you do it?

Honestly I would not. I would move on and set the standard higher when choosing friends next time.

She will use her father's illness as an excuse for more bad behavior.

Respect your self. She will only use and disrespect you in the future.

From the way that this is written I can tell that on some level you know this.

Best of luck.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
I would not bother. if she contacts you fine.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in reprising a close friendship -- I know that I can't trust her like I thought I could.

But I don't think she's evil -- just really, super-immature. She one of those Christians who tries hard to be a good person, fails at it and then beats herself up because of it.

I just want her to know that I'm not stabbing voodoo dolls of her with stickpins.

(No, she never apologized.)

Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 PM

256 posts, read 480,205 times
Come on, people, Melissa78703 just wants to express her compassion and/or empathy because her ex-friend is going through the same thing she went through with her parent, she is not asking this ex-friend to move back in

Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Dragonfly View Post
... she is not asking this ex-friend to move back in
God, no! And that pretty much sums it up.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Nope I wouldn't.

I find "friendship" to be very overrated. Precious few people have what it takes to be a true friend.

If you do forgive her, don't be surprised when she

1. does it again
2. denies it all
3. tells you she "forgives" you.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Bite me once, shame on you. Bite me twice, shame on me. You are setting yourself up for bite number two IMO. Leopards never change their spots, and from what all she did to you she is a user and a taker.

Run as far away as you can.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships