U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM

6,794 posts, read 11,723,975 times

Advertisements

For example, I was at a social gathering a few months ago and a somewhat famous Economist and professor approached me. I shook his hand and exchanged a few pleasantries.. only till near the end of the interaction did I realize who he was but I didn't even feel any bit impressed by the encounter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,966,389 times
I'm curious as to how they look and carry themselves in real life vs jhow they look on TV (or the movies if its a movie star).

For example, many years ago while in college I got to meet the late George McGovern, shook his hand, had a brief political question.

Nothing special, but was impressed how tall and thin he was. I was expecting a shorter person for some reason.

Stuff like that is whats' interesting...just what they are like in the flesh.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,680,227 times
During my stint with the Associated Press Photo Department I met A LOT of famous people and it was as normal as any other day. Once you pee in a bathroom stall next to Diane Sawyer things get really common.

There was only one person who struck me tongue tied and that was meeting JFK Jr. I'd met a number of Presidents and members of their cabinets, but they never affected me like that. Now, before everyone gets their panties in a bunch that it was because he was good looking, I would first agree he is a good looking man, but he wasn't my type and it's not why I felt all weird. It was the history behind that handshake that I felt like electricity and flashes of his father came and went through my head in an instant; almost like I could hear his dad's voice real loud in my head. Also, his mother, a beautiful person and role model.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:56 AM

131 posts, read 214,910 times
The ones I’ve come into association with always conducted themselves just like us regular people act, with the same type of politeness most people show to others only known on a rudimentary level (many people probably have little ideal how many celebrities they have come into contact with because of this, they can blend into the masses just like the rest of us).

Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 AM

25,953 posts, read 26,680,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop22 View Post
The ones Iíve come into association with always conducted themselves just like us regular people act, with the same type of politeness most people show to others only known on a rudimentary level (many people probably have little ideal how many celebrities they have come into contact with because of this, they can blend into the masses just like the rest of us).

This reminds me of when I was in another state for business and I was leaving and waiting outside of the hotel for my cab to the airport when I suddenly realized I had no idea where my car and house keys were. I started rooting through my purse frantically and ended up dropping it and its contents just scattered all over the front area of the hotel outside. I got on my knees and was trying to scoop it all up and was embarassed. As I was reaching and grabbing things this hand appeared with something of mine in it. The voice said, "here you go." I followed up his arm and looked at him to say 'thank you' (which I did) but the person helping me collect my crap was Damon Wayons. I never acknowledged who he was, just said, "Thank You" and when I left in my cab he waved.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,516,796 times
I've never been one to be too impressed with celebrities. I've met a few working the Hotels in Orlando.
They are just human.

A friend of mine comments on it as to why I wasn't more impressed.
My response is alway...Why should I be impressed? I have family in the Military and work with Civil Servants.....you want me to get all flustered, introduce me to a High Sheriff, SWAT Commander, Major, a General or a Command Sgt Major.

When I see them(celebrities) in real life I acknowledge their presence and either go about my business or talk to them like I do any one else.
Now if they demand attention...the "Do you know who I am?"...business, I usually just walk away.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM

6,794 posts, read 11,723,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I've never been one to be too impressed with celebrities. I've met a few working the Hotels in Orlando.
They are just human.

A friend of mine comments on it as to why I wasn't more impressed.
My response is alway...Why should I be impressed? I have family in the Military and work with Civil Servants.....you want me to get all flustered, introduce me to a High Sheriff, SWAT Commander, Major, a General or a Command Sgt Major.

When I see them(celebrities) in real life I acknowledge their presence and either go about my business or talk to them like I do any one else.
Now if they demand attention...the "Do you know who I am?"...business, I usually just walk away.
I don't even acknowledge them in most cases, not because I don't do so on purpose but it just doesn't cross my mind to do so.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:38 PM

16,891 posts, read 17,203,069 times
Heck, I was impressed that I saw the dingy that Natalie Wood "fell out of" before she died in the ocean.

We were visiting Los Angeles and went on board a yacht owned by a friend of a friend. The yacht owned by Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood was right next to it.

The next weekend Natalie died and all of the newspapers had photographs of that dingy. I kept pointing to the picture "I know that digny! I saw that dingy in real life!".

I live a sad life if that is my brush with a celebrity.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,906,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Heck, I was impressed that I saw the dingy that Natalie Wood "fell out of" before she died in the ocean.

We were visiting Los Angeles and went on board a yacht owned by a friend of a friend. The yacht owned by Robert Wagner and Natalie Wood was right next to it.

The next weekend Natalie died and all of the newspapers had photographs of that dingy. I kept pointing to the picture "I know that digny! I saw that dingy in real life!".

I live a sad life if that is my brush with a celebrity.

ok, this post made me LOL!!!!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:28 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,656,871 times
I've met a few Governor's while at a Governor's Conference, but that's about it. Needless to say, I was not doing jumping jacks or cartwheels.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships