U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:57 PM

201 posts, read 422,305 times

Advertisements

Remember the Old Movie called "Mean Girls" where all the really pretty girls in a High School all stuck together and everyone else gained or lost status if the pretty popular girls talked to them?

Do very physically attractive women in their 20s and 30s play that game too? Would a really beautiful woman befriend a plain overweight woman if the personal chemistry was right or would they lose status among their crowd for letting the plain overweight woman in the circle?

I get a kick out of seeing groups of women together at the mall, generally they are like clones of each other, especially the real pretty ones even up to forty years old. Do you see the same thing or do you disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,503,457 times
I don't know. I never fed into those clicks. I am almost 39 and a friend of mine is 41. We are about the same weight and height but we are quite different people.

Both with dark hair and eyes but hers is curly and she wears make up, mine is straight and I do not. She is a girly girl and always wears dresses. I am not and I wear jeans and a t shirt and harley boots.

I have visible tattoos and she does not. We are very different but enjoy spending time with one another.

I am not much on judging people by what they look like, but for who they are. I know not every one is this way.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,442,166 times
I'm thinking if you're a shallow person who picks who you'll be friends with based on looks then possibly yes...

Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I'm thinking if you're a shallow person who picks who you'll be friends with based on looks then possibly yes...
Then there are lots of shallow people out there because I see lots of clones together in public places. I RARELY see a fat plain girl with a group of thin pretty women. Do you?

Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,421,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post

Do very physically attractive women in their 20s and 30s play that game too? Would a really beautiful woman befriend a plain overweight woman if the personal chemistry was right or would they lose status among their crowd for letting the plain overweight woman in the circle?
NO!
This question is so weird I ve never thought of how another woman looks to see if i would be friends with her, just personality/ common interests.
And i ve never met someone who did.

who does this anyway??

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM

12,886 posts, read 15,442,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
NO!
This question is so weird I ve never thought of how another woman looks to see if i would be friends with her, just personality/ common interests.
And i ve never met someone who did.

who does this anyway??
Usually just young teens who don't even know themselves what they want...Older people are less likely I'm thinking to be that way because by then they've hopefully realized that it's the "cake" that matters, not the "icing", if that makes sense.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,672,296 times
My friends don't care about that sort of thing, but I've seen groups of girls I suspect only befriend other pretty girls. It just can't be coincidence when you see a group of friends who are all pretty, all dressed alike, all talking alike. They're the kind of girls who only want to be around people who are just like they are.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:05 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,939,192 times
I've known insecure pretty girls who befriend a plain one just as an ego boost. It's probably subconscious but when the guys routinely choose the pretty one over the plain one, it makes the pretty girl feel validated.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:32 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,486,675 times
I guess if you are really shallow this might apply. Maybe I am not connected to reality, but I don't think your scenario describes most women. I am in my 30s and have friends of all shapes, sizes and looks. We have a daughter who would be considered beautiful and is a super fit varsity athlete; her best friend is very obese. There are superficial people in every walk of life, but I believe more are not concerned with these things than those that are.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Since I wrote the question yesterday the whole topic caught my interest and went over to a number of public places where 20-40 year old women hung out in groups and it was amazing how much the women who were together were alike both in attractiveness and weight and style and hipness factor. Most people outside of a few city data types hang out with people who are clones of themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or