Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 AM

201 posts, read 490,805 times

Advertisements

If you read my other posting about my wife's cold distant family that treats each other and my wife poorly you may understand how family dynamics can impact a marriage.

The latest news is her parents left a voice mail that said that unless they can come up with two months of mortgage payments ($2000) they will be evicited from their home and be homeless. No one else in the family has any money and we have to help them.

Should we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 06:02 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
tough call.

Why do they need the money? Have they blown their mortgage payments on needless luxury, or is there a legitimate reason? And what happens after this episode-will they need another 2000 in a couple of months?

How does your wife feel? They're her parents. Right or wrong, good or bad, could she let them be homeless?

I haven't read your other post but just based on this one, IF you help them think of it as a gift, not a loan. And certainly don't think helping them will make them any different than what they are.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Do not give them the cash. Offer to send it to the mortgage company and you want to see their "past due" notices. Verify.

If you do pay .... Be sure to let them know you'll do it 1 time only. If you don't lay down any rules they will be back in 6 months wanting you to do it again.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
If you read my other posting about my wife's cold distant family that treats each other and my wife poorly you may understand how family dynamics can impact a marriage.

The latest news is her parents left a voice mail that said that unless they can come up with two months of mortgage payments ($2000) they will be evicited from their home and be homeless. No one else in the family has any money and we have to help them.

Should we?

Well, let's weed through our options and worst case scenerio. If you don't help them - where would they live? Possibly with you? Is avoiding that worth $2000? Are there any other relatives who would take them in if you didn't? It's also possible to solicit a few relatives for some, not all from one, but some of them for parts of the money and suggest to them they do that. Helping them or not is a decision you do need to decide based on acceptable and tolerable behavior on their part. You are under no obligation. If my mother was faced with this I would either help her or take her in. Now, if my father was faced with this, I wouldn't even pay for cab fare to the nearest homeless shelter. Only YOU know what is right or wrong in your situation.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Do not give them the cash. Offer to send it to the mortgage company and you want to see their "past due" notices. Verify.

If you do pay .... Be sure to let them know you'll do it 1 time only. If you don't lay down any rules they will be back in 6 months wanting you to do it again.

Absolutely do this! You may also asked to be repaid and they can give you several checks, one made out for each month, with a specified amount they will give you in exchange for paying the mortgage should you go that route.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:15 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Why are they not paying their bills ? IS it carelessness or can they not afford to live in their home ?

The $2000 may cure the symptom but not the illness. Do they need cheaper living ?

Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 AM

This isn't cheap by any means, but you can also tell them to go get a couple payday advances and pay the mortgage themselves. They'll learn not to let it happen again after that.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,987 times
I would need more information, what is the reason that they cannot pay their mortgage? Poor money management...or?

In any case, I wouldn't do a thing until I verify it all with the mortgage lender. Then I would only pay the interest, not the principal, they can work the rest out directly with the lender. It is their problem, not yours.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
tough call.

Why do they need the money? Have they blown their mortgage payments on needless luxury, or is there a legitimate reason? And what happens after this episode-will they need another 2000 in a couple of months?
How does your wife feel? They're her parents. Right or wrong, good or bad, could she let them be homeless?
I haven't read your other post but just based on this one, IF you help them think of it as a gift, not a loan. And certainly don't think helping them will make them any different than what they are.
Good advice..I will add: I am not familiar w/ your other posts....I think I'll read some after this.
Depending on which mortgage company there are programs that help folks that get into trouble paying their mortgage.

Find out which they have and research the many Gov't programs that were implemented by Obama last couple years...or the website for their mortgage co. They will have to apply, it is a process, but it can possibly stave off foreclosures etc.

If you bail them out, because they are behind couple months, it is just a band aid..If you have it, and can do it easily...consider it...but still get them hooked up...And, be aware some of these special mortgage help programs won't even consider helping them unless they are behind in payments...So, it might be a blessing if they are behind, and you, or they can research.

Maybe something linked below will help. I did one search...Government mortgage help...
Government mortgage help - Yahoo! Search Results

Last edited by JanND; 11-10-2012 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: text add

Old 11-10-2012, 06:30 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Do you watch Judge Judy? That is what she would say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships