U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Thanksgiving?
Love it. 62 32.98%
I like it good enough. 44 23.40%
I have no strong feelings one way or the other. 30 15.96%
I don't like it. 22 11.70%
Hate it. 17 9.04%
Don't celebrate it. 13 6.91%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 PM

32,409 posts, read 17,735,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I love it. It focuses on one day, and only one day, the landing of the Mayflower in the New World and reportedly amicable rapport between the native people already there and the newcomers. (Don't spoil it for me with another spin on this ... or reality). Then, whether celebrated at a family member's or friend's home, or at a hotel buffet, all the food is usually great.

While Christmas is what a Christian should be excited about more during the holiday season, its commercial nature has diluted the spiritual sentiment, and even all the pleasantries exchanged and religious festivities seem "rote." So, for that reason, I prefer Thanksgiving to Christmas.
Unfortunately, that is not the story I heard. But I shall respect your wishes to not spoil it with another "spin."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 PM

15,574 posts, read 24,936,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Voted "don't celebrate it".
I don't like holidays, period.

Don't mind what other people do: I'm not trying to take anyone else's holiday(s) away from them-but I don't wish to have holidays imposed upon me, either.
It's just not my scene: groups of people make me nervous, I don't care to hear same music year after year, and my family members are either dead or estranged.

Every single new day is precious to me, the notion of only certain selected "special days" as being worthy of attention (the concept of "holidays") doesn't fit my personal philosophy/priorities.

yes, this bothers me also. here in Ny they feed the homeless on Thanksgiving, but the rest of the days they basically let them starve.

somehow it doesnt seem right.

I hate how the calendar dictates what days have to be special, like mothers and fathers day. We are smart in our family we celebrate them either the week before or after to avoid the mad traffic on those days, and we are all happy,

Old 11-14-2012, 07:20 PM

4,188 posts, read 4,382,556 times
I'm going to have my first thanksgiving ever in about a week or so. We don't celebrate it in Asia. I look forward to the excessive amounts of food.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:24 PM

18 posts, read 29,645 times
Default Turkey Day!!

I can relate to all of the previous posts especially with the "drama". Not so long ago my hubby and I used to do the whole spread so all my fam had to do was show up, eat, relax and leave. Unfortunately, they still complained which really bothered me. Now we take turns hosting it at one another's homes even if we are a little cramped. This year my niece is hosting "turkey day" so she'll get the last minute headache calls along with thousands of questions like ' what is so an so bringing and on and on and on...I get so aggravated because Thanksgiving is supposed to be about more than just FOOD!!!!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
Well it's at our house, and the people invited over are staying with us I think...I don't know because she hasn't told me anything about the plans yet. They're supposed to be cooking a "Cajun Thanksgiving", but I'm not sure if they're going to get here early enough to go do all of the shopping. So it would be a bit of an affront to them if I drove out of my way to spend Thanksgiving elsewhere.

She's also made no secret of how she "feels hurt" that I haven't gone to her Thanksgiving the past two years. My first thought when she announced these plans was that she did this intentionally to stop me from going back to my nana's. After I told her about how much I enjoyed my father's fried turkey the first year she immediately brought up the idea of "us frying a turkey" next year.

I put "feels hurt" in quotations because she tends to be a very jealous and guilt trippy person. In previous years, our sister couldn't afford to fly home for Thanksgiving and our mother didn't even bother to call her.

Since you must stay for Thanksgiving can u go to Nana's for Christmas?

Old 11-14-2012, 07:36 PM

18,853 posts, read 31,642,668 times
Okay...we decided to come home on Thanksgiving, pick up a pre cooked turkey dinner from the deli on Thursday, and work on making jewelry for the rest of the weekend.

No drama. I am happy to not be married! Small families rock.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Our family LOVES Thanksgiving so much that we have two Thanksgivings every November!

On my side of the family, we get together either the weekend before, or the weekend after Thanksgiving for our big meal together. This way, we can spend "real" Thanksgiving with our significant others' families. It works great.

Each of us has a special dish or two that we bring. We nearly always have it at my parents' house, which is several hours away, so we all rent a condo type rental and those who can't stay at my parents' stay there -two houses full of people who love each other in spite of our flaws and oddities.

Whoever is hosting the dinner makes the turkey and dressing. We always have too much food, so we divvy it up between families afterward.

If anyone knows anyone who is alone at Thanksgiving, we invite them, so we often have one or two "extras." I have many kids and grandkids, so on my side of the family it's a HUGE get together - like 20 people. We very seldom argue - though, as usual, my mother is a bit testy and tries to play the martyr. We just call her hand and laugh it off - life's too short to let such foolishness ruin the day.

My husband's family dinner, on the "real" day, is a little different - a lot quieter but very pleasant in it's own way. It's all adults unless a few of "mine" show up. My brother and sister in law usually stay at our house for a couple of days, and I enjoy that, even though my sister in law is BOUND to say something that gets under my husband's skin, or my mother in law is bound to forget whatever it was she was supposed to bring (I always have a backup). We usually have that particular feast at our house, and it IS a big job entertaining that many people in comfort (usually about 8 people). But I enjoy being a hostess.

We have family heirloom dishes from my husband's side of the family -a very nice set of china that his father brought back from Germany many years ago. We use that and I always really enjoy bringing it out and setting a beautiful table.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday - hands down. Here's a photo of our family (my side) cooking the traditional ham! I'm not in there - I'm the one taking the photo.
I can truly see why you're so thankful Your family is so BeAuTifuL!!!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM

216 posts, read 359,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrnTmr4Brkfst View Post
I can't be the only one who dreads this holiday. Since both sides of my family have significant numbers of people in AA, drunkenness isn't ever the issue. My mother hosts it in our house, and every year for the past few years she puts off preparations until 0-4 days ahead of time, often missing important things. She's also slept in on getting the turkey in the oven leading to turkeys which are hours late and dried out from a too hot oven. She has refused help with these preparations and refuses to give up hosting Thanksgiving.

Last year I asked her if she needed any help on the Monday before Thanksgiving, because I had Tuesday free and she said no. I had classes from 9am to 9pm on Wednesday, and that night she called me up asking if I could go out and get something she forgot when I was still in class. Even though she had gotten out of work. After I tried to tell her "no" without sounding too blunt about it, I got an annoyed and guilt-trippy response about how Thanksgiving would be ruined if it didn't have cranberry sauce, and eventually did get some on my way back from school.

So for the past two years I've gone to my father's house, because they've started to host their own Thanksgiving at his mother's house (my nana and him used to come to ours, but my nana stopped driving and they decided to have one at her house). While I still got a lot of the preparing drama that I hate, the food was noticeably better (my father fried a turkey), on time, and I didn't get yelled at the day of about how I was needed in the kitchen. Last year she wasn't even awake when I left at 1 pm despite my best efforts starting at 8 am. When I got back from my nana's at after 7 pm, they had just started eating a dinner that was scheduled for 4 pm.

Unfortunately this year, she's invited some family friends from Louisiana over, which makes me feel obligated to stay.
I really hate to say it, but sounds like your mom might be losing it a little in the head. My mom was like this for years before she passed.
I love Thanksgiving though! Time for laughs with friends, get really drunk and have a good time.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
LOL. Spoken like a man, all right.

Maybe it's togetherness and relaxation for you, but I can guarantee you it's not togetherness and relaxation for many, if not most, of those who host and are responsible for the cooking, especially if there are going to be a lot of guests. The joke in my family is that Thanksgiving is Women's Enslavement Day. Maybe you're not getting up early, but those who ensure that the meal is on the table by 2:00 or 3:00 are indeed up early. Then, while the men "retire" to the living room to watch the football game, who is cleaning up? Yep. The women.

Fortunately, that is changing, but for many, many families, what I described is usually the case.
My hubby does the main dish:Chicken/dressing.. I help with the slicing/dicing, baked mac-n-cheese and dessert!! I couldn't imagine doing an entire meal.. I would be worn out

Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 PM

198 posts, read 392,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermodel2 View Post
Since you must stay for Thanksgiving can u go to Nana's for Christmas?
Christmas Day is always at my nana's, and my other grandma hosts Christmas Eve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
I really hate to say it, but sounds like your mom might be losing it a little in the head. My mom was like this for years before she passed.
I love Thanksgiving though! Time for laughs with friends, get really drunk and have a good time.
I doubt it's Alzheimer's, she's still really young for that. She's not even 60 yet. I think it might be one of some combination of her medications though, she's on like 5 pills a day or something crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships