Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times

Advertisements

Just what the title says. Took a friend out to lunch at a nice quiet Chinese place as he had been going through a rough time. We dined, Had nice conversation everything seemed fine. Today I found out he says he got food poisoning from there and that I should have picked a safer place. I have been there throughout the years, Never a problem. He ordered chicken and eggplant and myself something different. I apologized but how was i to know this would happen? My GF says it could be an unrelated stomach virus, But I am not sure. Feel a bit guilty here. What more can I do? I feel like taking him for a nice afternoon when he really needed it went haywire.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 02:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
If your friend believes that he suffered food poisoning he should report the incident to your local health department.

You could ask to see a copy of their last inspection. In our state the inspection score must be posted.

Food borne illnesses are identified from cluster reports. Contamination could have happened at the provisioner's or even at a food processing facility.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Just what the title says. Took a friend out to lunch at a nice quiet Chinese place as he had been going through a rough time. We dined, Had nice conversation everything seemed fine. Today I found out he says he got food poisoning from there and that I should have picked a safer place. I have been there throughout the years, Never a problem. He ordered chicken and eggplant and myself something different. I apologized but how was i to know this would happen? My GF says it could be an unrelated stomach virus, But I am not sure. Feel a bit guilty here. What more can I do? I feel like taking him for a nice afternoon when he really needed it went haywire.
All you can do is say that you are sorry and let him know that you had never had a problem at the restaurant before. Perhaps just send a card with a brief note. Of course, it isn't your fault.

He is probably upset now but will forget it soon. That happened to me once, too. Although, I was the one throwing up all over the restaurant patio & parking lot. It turned out that I was coming down with a killer (luckily, not literally) migraine headache and it probably had nothing to do with the food. My friend was upset & wanted to complain to the restaurant but I'm glad that she didn't once I realized that it was probably just because of my sudden migraine.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
All you can do is say that you are sorry and let him know that you had never had a problem at the restaurant before. Perhaps just send a card with a brief note. Of course, it isn't your fault.

He is probably upset now but will forget it soon. That happened to me once, too. Although, I was the one throwing up all over the restaurant patio & parking lot. It turned out that I was coming down with a killer (luckily, not literally) migraine headache and it probably had nothing to do with the food. My friend was upset & wanted to complain to the restaurant but I'm glad that she didn't once I realized that it was probably just because of my sudden migraine.
A card might be nice. I am sure it will not go on him being upset for long. It's just the timing was so bad. The guy just this year lost his dad, is breaking up with his live in girl and moving back home and he had the flu last month in addition to starting a new job that had a rocky beginning.

I just hate seeing folks get hit from all sides with bad situations, So this was like one more jolt you know? We would always go for the same food places most of the time so i wanted this place as it seemed perfect. very quiet and I though great food.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:47 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
What an ungrateful brat he is. It's not your fault he got sick.

Plus, these things are notoriously difficult to pin down. It can take days or even weeks for food poisoning to make itself known. Has he been tested? Because Salmonella has an incubation period of up to three days. E. coli incubation is 3 to 8 days. If it's a parasite like Giardia, it can take up to two weeks.

So if you went out, and the next day he was sick, unless his meat was spoiled, he may have to look elsewhere. Ask him what his doctor said.

But even then, it's not your fault. What a jerk.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Now seriously, could you have known in advance there might be a problem? NO.

Forget it. Just be concerned he is on the road to recovery... and yes, he should contact local health dept.

One thing folks miss though... the contamination could come from the patron's OWN HANDS....
just something to consider!

Quote:

Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
Quote:
good grief--you did a very nice thing. No reason for you to be blamed or feel guilt. None!
You're usually so level headed,based on your posts, so I'm taken aback that you're allowing yourself to feel guilty. UH UH.........even if I cooked the food myself and someone got sick--oh well, too bad. There are no guarantees that such will or won't occur.
Feel free to treat me to lunch anytime and I won't give you a guilt trip about anything.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
good grief--you did a very nice thing. No reason for you to be blamed or feel guilt. None!
You're usually so level headed,based on your posts, so I'm taken aback that you're allowing yourself to feel guilty. UH UH.........even if I cooked the food myself and someone got sick--oh well, too bad. There are no guarantees that such will or won't occur.
Feel free to treat me to lunch anytime and I won't give you a guilt trip about anything.
I am. But this month of November has been shaky, With Sandy hitting us and little time to relax until this week for me. He actually called me a moment ago telling me it was not my fault, Now he thinks his soon to be ex might have given him bad food! I am confused but glad he came around. It was not really my fault everyone is right.

What he said was a little weird about that. This Nov has been a wild ride so far, Really.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM

676 posts, read 1,261,422 times
I agree, even if he had gotten it from the restaurant, it's not your fault. You were trying to do a nice thing for a friend.

I think it's a bit odd that he's so obsessed with figuring out a source. If I get sick, I figure it's a stomach bug. Unless other people who ate the same thing get really sick too. One relative used to insist we all show up for a block party. They had people who lived on the block supervising the hot dogs, which were being kept in carts with hot water. So, basically, no training in food handling/safety

Four of us who were there and ate the hot dogs got sick the next day. The only food we had in common was the dogs, which were lukewarm (should have known better than to eat them, but didn't want to be rude). I didn't say anything at the time, but the following year, she still wanted the hot dogs to be people's lunch option, refusing to serve the hero she ordered until dinner time because the block association was providing the hot dogs. I mentioned that 4 of us got sick from the hot dogs last year and she swore it couldn't be the hot dogs. I ate a big breakfast, brought some pita bread with yogurt dip and veggies for my contribution and made a lunch out of that and other snacks. So I could avoid the dogs of doom and hold out for the hero at dinner.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscapegoat View Post
I agree, even if he had gotten it from the restaurant, it's not your fault. You were trying to do a nice thing for a friend.

I think it's a bit odd that he's so obsessed with figuring out a source. If I get sick, I figure it's a stomach bug. Unless other people who ate the same thing get really sick too. One relative used to insist we all show up for a block party. They had people who lived on the block supervising the hot dogs, which were being kept in carts with hot water. So, basically, no training in food handling/safety

Four of us who were there and ate the hot dogs got sick the next day. The only food we had in common was the dogs, which were lukewarm (should have known better than to eat them, but didn't want to be rude). I didn't say anything at the time, but the following year, she still wanted the hot dogs to be people's lunch option, refusing to serve the hero she ordered until dinner time because the block association was providing the hot dogs. I mentioned that 4 of us got sick from the hot dogs last year and she swore it couldn't be the hot dogs. I ate a big breakfast, brought some pita bread with yogurt dip and veggies for my contribution and made a lunch out of that and other snacks. So I could avoid the dogs of doom and hold out for the hero at dinner.
"Billy" as I will call him here tends to get fixated on things sometimes. Just the way he is. Guy had a rough year and is a good person. Not something I will ever hold against him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships